Macgregor 26 4th Mode

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Appearances are secondary, like a VW bug, another ugly car

Your credibility = ^ destroyed ^

The MacGregor 26 or any other of its kind have led to what?

The VW bug led to this:

izerefjx-900.jpg

Last edited:

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
By no means do I wish to impugn a certain individual whom I hold in very high regards, it is just that I found this in one of his writings from 2001, an excerpt from his "International 29er Class Association - Coaching Seminar". The context is sailing in very light air, one of the two crew sits at or in front of the mast to pull the stern out of the water to reduce parasitic drag.

You can push the bow down 100-180mm (4-7”) without significant drag increase in light wind and low hull speeds, the boat has been design to do this and sail well like this, for those who read my fathers pontifications this is what he calls the 4th mode.

Obviously he wrote this three years before HWSNBN re-coined the term for some deluded idea about M26's and TP52's pirouetting about their keel like some steroid addled Russian ice skater. Also this 4th mode is grounded in a very sound concept and not from the fanciful musings of someone who needs time on a leather couch and personal attention from Dr. Haloperidol, PA Chlorpromazine, Nurse Thiothixene, or Orderly Prochlorperazine.

I need to take another look at my copy of the first book his dad produced, I forgot that in addition to being educational it was also at times entertaining with his witty analogies. Much like the term, blowing oysters off the rocks.

Please, continue the thrashing.

Hukilau

Branford, CT
After years of going without a sighting, I saw one on a trailer at my marina a couple of months ago. Very shiny, seemingly well maintained. I don't recall if the mast was on the boat or not. Not there anymore as of yesterday. I was on one only once, at a boat show, many years ago. I recall two things: how very cheap the interior looked, and how very affordable the sail-away price was.

pudge

By no means do I wish to impugn a certain individual whom I hold in very high regards, it is just that I found this in one of his writings from 2001, an excerpt from his "International 29er Class Association - Coaching Seminar". The context is sailing in very light air, one of the two crew sits at or in front of the mast to pull the stern out of the water to reduce parasitic drag.

Obviously he wrote this three years before HWSNBN re-coined the term for some deluded idea about M26's and TP52's pirouetting about their keel like some steroid addled Russian ice skater. Also this 4th mode is grounded in a very sound concept and not from the fanciful musings of someone who needs time on a leather couch and personal attention from Dr. Haloperidol, PA Chlorpromazine, Nurse Thiothixene, or Orderly Prochlorperazine.

I need to take another look at my copy of the first book his dad produced, I forgot that in addition to being educational it was also at times entertaining with his witty analogies. Much like the term, blowing oysters off the rocks.

outstanding find!

herzogone

outstanding find!
IIR, HWSNBN directly credited Julian (or maybe Frank?) Bethwaite's writings as the source of his learning of the 4th mode. HWSNBN just applied the term to the Mac in strange and fanciful ways.

On a semi-serious note, I've wondered what the purpose of the ridges that run along the topsides are on the Mac X/M. Grith's Imexus appears to have similar as well. I'm guessing they must be a powerboat feature, maybe for deflecting spray when planing? Something else?

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
It sails like that if you don’t know how to sail THAT boat. You got your heavy keel, your boat carries her way, even with a foul bottom she will sail to some degree no matter what you do. Put up any old rag, point her in roughly the direction you want, it don’t matter if the sails are not trimmed just right, she’ll lumber off happily. She won’t make much leeway even just ghosting along. But, Everything has to be right on the Mac, else she ain’t gunna sail. Sails ragged out? She ain’t gunna sail. Overloaded, off her lines? She ain’t gunna sail. Don’t know how to trim the sails to keep way on, so those thin foils have water moving past them? Then enjoy going sideways. To lazy to reef? Enjoy going sideways. I’ve sailed keelboats, I can hop on your boat and sail her myself, never have done so before. But keel boaters often can’t do the same with a boat like the Mac. The times when I get frustrated with the Mac are the times I expect her to be a keelboat.
Son of Mighetto.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
It sails like that if you don’t know how to sail THAT boat. You got your heavy keel, your boat carries her way, even with a foul bottom she will sail to some degree no matter what you do. Put up any old rag, point her in roughly the direction you want, it don’t matter if the sails are not trimmed just right, she’ll lumber off happily. She won’t make much leeway even just ghosting along. But, Everything has to be right on the Mac, else she ain’t gunna sail. Sails ragged out? She ain’t gunna sail. Overloaded, off her lines? She ain’t gunna sail. Don’t know how to trim the sails to keep way on, so those thin foils have water moving past them? Then enjoy going sideways. To lazy to reef? Enjoy going sideways. I’ve sailed keelboats, I can hop on your boat and sail her myself, never have done so before. But keel boaters often can’t do the same with a boat like the Mac. The times when I get frustrated with the Mac are the times I expect her to be a keelboat.
You've forgotten the basic rule of the internet. You should never assume the other poster doesn't have some experience. Unlike LB, I cannot claim to have sailed 1,000s (which he has), but here is my experience, 40 years of go fast (racing), go slow (cruising), and a lot inbetween.

bic, sailfish, cherub, 125, 145, pacer, arrow cat, hobie cat, 18' skiff, hartley TS, interlake 18, moth skiff (wombat 84), laser, solo, thunder bird,
waarschip, Merit 22, Kittiwake 23, Columbia 30, Irwin 30, Adams 10, Hanse 310, S&S 39, Bennie 47.7, Bavaria 42, plus over 10 Whitsunday charters in the 38 - 46' range. There's probably another 20 boats that dont come to mind right now.

Your argument above basically boils down to this:
- The Mac can sail adequately if the sails are new, not stretched, is kept at the exact weight to sail on line, perfect trim all the time, must be reefed at the right time etc (although you could play around with reefing limits with the cunningham - it has a cunningham right?).

So, it is a precocious vessel unless sailed to the utmost. If I have to sail to the utmost, then the boat better reward me, rather than just getting up to speed that a normal keeled or centerboarded sailing vessel achieves easily.

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW

The little Solo dinghy has a great '4th mode' but being solo crewed, you crouch between the thwart and the mast base, on the leeward side, putting as much weight as far forward as possible. Centerboard up, rudder up, steer by heel and sail position. It will ghost along at twice the speed of another solo with its ass in the water. Takes a bit of practice to get right. Fun to watch others in their first few attempts because it is initially uncomfortable and very prone to capsize if not careful.

HypnoToad

Anarchist
Nah. this guy is no Frank. Frank would have never admitted that the Mac was hard to sail. He endlessly bragged about how his boat effortlessly sailed over its own wake. Planning downwind and on a reach with just the main. He kept showing that damn photo of the stern wake as proof. We barked and clawed and beat each other up just to get a word in edgewise. It was fun. It was frustrating. Frank laughed all the way around Puget Sound. The only ones who got to him were Bob Perry (who got to drink a nice bottle of scotch out of it) and Guy Ledoushe who got to bang Frank's wife!

Grith

NSW Australia
LB 15 Said
Over the past 50 years I have sailed on, quite literally, over a thousand different kinds of sailing boats, mono, tri, cats, race boats from every era, maxi yachts, cruising boats of every configuration and displacement as well as classic boats, ketches, Yawls, sports boats, trailor bailers and several Mac 26's. That your Mac brings you great joy is great - in fact the only purpose of a recreational boat is to make its owner happy- but don't for a moment let that fool you into thinking that the Mac 26 is anything but the worst performing production sail boat ever made.
Even given your clear understanding of bringing it in the 4th mode.
Hi LB 15
I bow to your superior experience having only sailed on less than a hundred not on thousands of different yachts in my over 50 years of sailing. I have experienced most of the classes you listed above if some only briefly, sailed a few significant ocean races, raced around the cans and now intermittently cruised for years and owned only 12 different yachts myself.
What the hell are you to have sailed on that many different yachts? Professional crew, yacht reviewer or inherited money multi millionaire sailing junky! Most of us have to fit earning some money into our yacht owning/sailing money extinguishing hobby.
By the way I have definitely sailed on production yachts and sailing craft that sail worse than Mac’s so your experience is somehow lacking despite the over a thousand sailing craft you have experienced. If you look at the Australian Trailer Sailing Yachting racing handicap system the Mac is nowhere near rated the slowest just as an example.
Having said that anyone mixed trailer sailer racing a Mac is not doing so to win line honours but who cares it’s still sailing and if sailing downwind, ballast free with a decent kite in above 10knots it’s still relatively exciting sailing I can assure you.🙂
Currently waiting on some water in a potentially Mac suitable sailing location pictured below having just checked the tow in myself with my partner.😂
Lake Eyre Australia’s largest lake ( when it’s gets some water)
17A294FB-15A5-4EE1-BD2B-65105000B0D7.jpeg
023F7297-837A-4698-A251-37F4362EC5B0.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts