mainsail clew tie down options

currently using velcro to strap the clew of the main to the boom

velcro needs replacing

options?

needs to be able to move fore & aft a bit when the outhaul is employed

would like something that is easier to cinch down/tighten than the velcro

aluminum boom with black awlgrip over anodized surface holding up well; don't want it scratched

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
I use a dyneema strop with a brummel loop in each end, that is just about 1/2" shorter than the circumference of the boom, and then I lash the two eyes together. The lashing lets you cinch it down nice and tight, the dyneema is slippery enough to move along the boom. I can't recall for sure but I think I might have copied this off of the Easom-rigged Winnetou, in which case it is likely the best setup...

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Or have your sailmaker sew up a piece of dyneema webbing roughly the circumference of the boom with a loop at both ends. each loop gets slid onto the outhaul shackle. The webbing should slide pretty well.

Most sailmakers can easily recreate the velcro you have which likely includes the dyneema webbing inside, if you put the fuzzy side inside there should not be issues with scratching the boom. Just be sure to cover it or take it off the boom as the velcro itself will sun rot

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately the quote/multi-quote function is not working so.....

Schnick, how does the lashing allow for adjustment under load?

Chris Tutmark, sounds neat but how does this prevent the clew of the sail from floating up and off the boom?

Alcatraz, can't do that because one of the main sheet blocks is aft of where the clew is and I don't want to detach the main sheet to get the sail on or off.

ro!

Super Anarchist
Bum fuck usa
Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately the quote/multi-quote function is not working so..... Schnick, how does the lashing allow for adjustment under load? Chris Tutmark, sounds neat but how does this prevent the clew of the sail from floating up and off the boom? Alcatraz, can't do that because one of the main sheet blocks is aft of where the clew is and I don't want to detach the main sheet to get the sail on or off.
Why not use a dyneema soft shackle?

Schnick

Super Anarchist
Vancouver, BC
Well the lashing ends up being like 4 or 6:1 so its adjustable if you make sure the knots can be undone. Why on earth would you adjust the clew tie-down under load?

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
On the sewn webbing with a loop at each end one loop slips onto one side of the outhaul shackle (assuming a D or U shaped shackle on the outhaul) goes around under the boom and the loop on the other end slips on the the other side of shackle. The outhaul line lives at the bottom of the U and the pin grabs the clew ring on the sail.

Agree with Schnick that typically the clew strap on a main is WAY down on the list of things that would get adjusted while sailing.

overdraft

Anarchist
what sort of size boat? on my Kirby 25 and Pocket Rocket i used a loop of spectra fed through one of those plastic balls... overhand knot that sucks inside the socket in the ball... loop around boom, through clew, put ball through the bight. done. like $4/4 minutes. i got sick of the velcro ones wearing out!

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
A Dyneema strop with a soft shackle is probably the best solution as it will provide strength, low friction and ease of put on and off, you just need to measure three times to make sure the length of both, strop and shackle are right on the money. I like the lashing idea, but guess it will take quite a bit of time to undo after it has been working under load all day. Schnick may elaborate here a bit more.

I tip for these types of clew straps or even the Velcro type is to lubricate the area where the strap moves as the outhaul is adjusted.

I have used SpeedX oil , even on the boom of thee VX and it works rellly well in all conditions. Simply wash the area, apply some drops to the boom and spread it out with a clean cloth and you'll be good to go. The Speedx is not a nasty , oily/grease lubricant, in fact is not even residual, so don't worry about having the boat or sail all dirty. Just keep an eye on it from time to time and repeat the process once in a while.

I don't like to use the McLube for that application as it dries and is not as helpful afterwards.

Rod

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
Ever seen the tie-downs that Lasers use? It's basically a velcro strop with a D ring on one end, velcro goes around, through the D ring, and back onto itself; therefore adjustable. I agree with you where you want to adjust it, but it really is more of an eyesore than a performance issue, and if it's adjusted, should be done at the dock or before the sequence.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2344-laser-clewsleevestrapshooks.aspx

HW