Mainsheet Winch For 18-foot model R/C sailboat

I'm hoping someone here has already solved the mainsheet winch/genoa sheet winch problem for relatively large boats. My buddy and I just put together a steering system for this 18-foot model that we're happy with (yeah, you heard that right; it's a 1/10 scale model of a 185-foot sailing ship). It used a lot of the ingredients he's used in his model planes, just with more torque.

But we'd rather copy someone else's great design for a sheet winch. We figure we need about 60# of line pull for the genoa, and 24# for the mainsheet (which goes through a 3-part tackle on its way to the winch). Anyone got any ideas or links you can share?

Eternally grateful for any assistance, A Boat Builder For 50 Years, But A Total Model Noob

PR Inside Harbor.jpg

You're right: we don't have a genoa on this boat, we just used the term genoa because someone on the forum might have a boat with a genoa sheet winch, which would work as a single-part tackle on these sails; it needs to pull 60 pounds on a single line.

So we said "genoa". If we find a winch that can only pull 30 pounds, we can put a 2-part tackle on it and it can pull these sails in just fine; it will just mean more wire on the winch drum.

And it's not a main and mizzen; they're identical sails, and since this is a proa, there really are no terms for these sails. You'll notice both ends of the boat are identical, and if you could see underwater, you'd see two identical counter-rotating rudders at each end of the boat, about 3 feet in from the bow. (Which end is the bow? Which is the stern? They both are!). You should have seen the Coast Guard when they inspected the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Maybe something with a clutch or something to allow quick ease and slow trim?  Or a bunch of the biggest model winches you can get and run them in parallel 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
You should check out this thread. 

This guy already sorted out everything you’re looking for, albeit with a different remote setup. There’s a few people on the thread that seem to know the guy. If you PM them, they might have contact info. 

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I wonder if a small ATV reel winch would suit?  Probably way more pull than you need, but many of them are already set up to pull (or release) through a wireless remote.... 

breezetrees

SF Bay
I wonder if a small ATV reel winch would suit?  Probably way more pull than you need, but many of them are already set up to pull (or release) through a wireless remote.... 
I had some students who were making a cal 20 autonomous as a capstone design project. They bought a cheap jeep winch for the mainsheet and it looked like it would work okay.  Unfortunately it was the year covid shut down the world and they didn't get to test it much at all.  Needs some sort of line tensioner to keep it sorted.