"make it go away" - Front Page

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Well, we do have our devils!

I sort of backed into this by building my plastic version of Seaman's classic wood toy, the Malibu Outrigger. I used 2 cracked Hobie hulls and base-cracked carbon spars; retrevied from the landfill sort of, as destination. But, then I learned the resins (epoxy) I was using in the crafting were as long-lived as the plastic hulls, which I should have known. I mean wht happens to resins? 

The glass and spars are also as long-lived.

So, it seems we sailors are too many, and we have mountians of neglected refuse we have left around, to ruin land and sea.

What to do?

Keep old rigs afloat and used? What? The ancient wood we have devoured, like everything else we touch...maybe we need a groupl of renewer/rebuilders, but htne, what of the Dacron and more?

Do we limp now between rock and hard or move above the fray? It is not as though we have had our collective head in the sand.

Maybe this C-19 culling is appropo.

Good timing ed!

But, perhaps, not soon enough? 

Last edited by a moderator:

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Prognostications of pending pandemonium tend to presume linearity, or an extreme feedback that posits a tipping point in only a few short years... 

Reality is that nature is linear only in small scale and limited fashion; and what must change, will. All of the foregoing forecasted scenarios of doom fail due to this reality. Recycling of GRP boats and other refuse will occur when the problem is sufficient to motivate a solution more than merely hiding it behind a suitable color wheelie bin that is elsewhere commingled with the landfill stream or dumped into the sea in far off lands. 

No doubt there's a market for recyclable boats; as there is for carbon offsets, papal indulgences and similar means of virtue signalling. Just as one of the advertisers here has recently started flogging the non petroleum basis of their fine cordage, so that the woke may have bespoke lines to limit their requisite expiation and much as electric vehicles charged overnight from fossil fuels merely exports pollution, while actually increasing it from the efficiency losses. 

Marketing based on sex and guilt works. Guilty sex even better, as in the theme of it's a terrible world to bring a child into, and population is far to large. 

When faced with these themes, much as with any other that seeks to change behavior, by imposing penalties, taxes and fines while posing as holier than thou; its always worthy to ask "Cui bono". 

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Lioness...I agree but we have to find a different way of trying to be kewl. Crazhy, but this dodger went to great trouble to use unused or resins...and never thought the hardened products was a promem, then boom! Am fairly certain lots of us swabs are in same boat....And, what happens to older or digarded rigs, even the ones sunk...if a swab has it covered, "who cares?" 

Not good enough, to me....we do have a real mutual problem, and minimal methinks!