Makin Waves from Annapolis

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
On the way to Newport for Bermuda Race. All hands rescued, boat went down.

Glad everyone safe but bummer about the Bene 40.7

No more details in Newsday.

MikeR

Trendsetter

Super Anarchist
Cape Cod
dude that SUCKS!!!! hope jimmy and the family and rest of the crew are ok.. going to be interesting to hear how they think this happened

JPraley

San Diego
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know what happened. Our rudder post snapped on the boat and we were taking in water through the stern. We tried to have the coast guard tow the boat but with the high winds and large waves we couldn't pull without the tow lines cranking on the forestay. The rig looked like it was going to come down and we had to let her go. By the time the last person exited the boat there was about 2 feet of water down below. I wasn't on board but this is what my dad told me. I was in constant communication with the coast guard and there was nothing else they could do. It took her about 1hr to go down. Everyone is OK and back in Annapolis. RIP Making Waves USA 51501. -Jimmy

sailingk8

Super Anarchist
The Swamp
Hey Guys,Just wanted to let you know what happened. Our rudder post snapped on the boat and we were taking in water through the stern. We tried to have the coast guard tow the boat but with the high winds and large waves we couldn't pull without the tow lines cranking on the forestay. The rig looked like it was going to come down and we had to let her go. By the time the last person exited the boat there was about 2 feet of water down below. I wasn't on board but this is what my dad told me. I was in constant communication with the coast guard and there was nothing else they could do. It took her about 1hr to go down. Everyone is OK and back in Annapolis. RIP Making Waves USA 51501. -Jimmy
Wow what a bummer, I'm sorry :(

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
Hey Guys,Just wanted to let you know what happened. Our rudder post snapped on the boat and we were taking in water through the stern. We tried to have the coast guard tow the boat but with the high winds and large waves we couldn't pull without the tow lines cranking on the forestay. The rig looked like it was going to come down and we had to let her go. By the time the last person exited the boat there was about 2 feet of water down below. I wasn't on board but this is what my dad told me. I was in constant communication with the coast guard and there was nothing else they could do. It took her about 1hr to go down. Everyone is OK and back in Annapolis. RIP Making Waves USA 51501. -Jimmy
Very sorry to hear this but glad that everyone is safe. We heard about it on a local radio station and there was an article in Newsday, our Long Island paper this morning.

Will hoist a beverage for Making Waves this evening.

Cheers,

MikeR

JPraley

San Diego
Thanks again everyone for all of your support. Everything is fine. Hopr you all have a jager shot for Making Waves. Cheers and see you all soon. --Jimmy Praley

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
Thanks again everyone for all of your support. Everything is fine. Hopr you all have a jager shot for Making Waves. Cheers and see you all soon. --Jimmy Praley
Facing southeast, a double shot of good bourbon. RIP Making Waves.

Cheers,

MikeR

El Mariachi

Super Anarchist
Gawd but it sometimes just don't take much to drop a boat. Very fukin' sad there Jimmy but it's great to hear that no one got the hurt.

Making Waves has made it's last. RIP..........

water ratz

Super Anarchist
Near the water
Sorry to hear :( Glad everyone made it off safely. Not to far from where I am, hate hearing about stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the loss, but glad everyone is safe. Any ideas about where and why the break occurred? Like maybe the break was at the quadrant?

Right Coast

Super Anarchist
Well, that sucks. Good to hear all are OK.

The issue with the tow lines and the headstay is something that many people don't think about, I know I hadn't, until I had to deal with it. Boats without rudders like to do wild S-turns, dragging stuff out the back can help some, but you're still going for a ride on the Tilt-A-Whirl. And when you go for your ride, the tow line is going to chafe on the headstay, bowpulpit, anchor roller, etc. It's worth the time to think this one through before you have to deal with it in the real world.

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of a 12hr tow, upwind in 35kts of breeze, offshore. The boat was a Swan 45, and we could have easily suffered the same fate as Makin' Waves had the autopilot tillerarm not held the fractured bits of rudder stock together and in the boat. We lead our spinnaker guys from the primary winches forward and off the bow of the boat, and attached them to the tow hawser just off the bow. This was done to allow us the opportunity to adjust/re-attach a line when it chafed through, without loosing our connection to the tow line. We chafed through the guys (the most robust line we had onboard) about a half-dozen times each. Each time the tow vessel would back off, let us re-tie the broken line, and off we'd go for another hour or so. We tried several different ways of securing the lines at the bow to minimize chafe, but never really found a good solution. So if anyone has a good solution, I'd love to hear it (not that I'm planning on doing that again anytime soon).

At the moments when we first hooked up, and got going, I was pretty convinced the tow line was going to take out the headstay, it made some pretty ugly sounds. Fortunately it just ended up bending it.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Big bummer - glad everyone is OK. Not on the same scale but towing my U20 sans rudder only way we could do it is with weight forward other wise it was the tilt-o-whirl ride for sure. No fun at all.