Man shoots self and wife at gun safety class

I can see where eventually your vigilance slips, a moment of in attention and you have an accidental discharge.
True of any hobby or profession that can kill you. Like: Sailing, racing cars/bikes/snowmobiles/pretty much anything faster than a walk, climbing mountains, not chewing your food properly, mowing the lawn, driving anywhere, diving into a pool, building a house, working with equipment that can kill you, screwing anything that will hold still long enough to get it in, just about any sport, drinking too much alcohol, doing too many drugs, showering/bathing, keeping exotic pets, etc.

I think we all could make a list of at least a hundred things that we all do that could kill either ourselves, or someone else unintentionally. Life is inherently dangerous. One of my favorite movie lines is from Fight Club: "On a long enough timeline, everyone's life expectancy drops to zero". Why so many people are so fixated on firearm injuries or deaths is beyond me.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Okay, kiddies, let's review St Cooper's Four Commandments Of Firearm Safety:

1. All guns are always loaded.
  2. Never let the gun point at anything you're not willing to kill or destroy.
  3. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
  4. Know your target -- and what's beyond it.

With use, these rules will become second nature, and will keep your dumb ass from shooting your wife - unintentionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

With use, these rules will become second nature, and will keep your dumb ass from shooting your wife - unintentionally.
'Xactly. Trust no one, not even your 'friends'.....

Hillsborough deputies: Man accidentally shoots, kills himself in Lithia

By Danny Valentine, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 05:54 AM

LITHIA — A 19-year-old man shot and killed himself early Thursday while apparently handling a handgun he thought was unloaded, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

The incident happened about 2 a.m. at a home at 10139 Bryant Road.

Taylor J. McKenna, who lives at the home, was socializing with several friends, playing video games.

At some point, an unloaded handgun was shown to the group and then reloaded. McKenna, unaware the gun had been reloaded, picked up the firearm and fired a round, striking himself once in the head. He died at the scene.

His body was taken to the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office.

The other men were not immediately identified, and no other information was available early Thursday morning. Homicide investigators and crime scene technicians remained at the scene.

Danny Valentine can be reached at (813) 226-3386 or [email protected]

[Last modified: Apr 26, 2012 11:59 AM]

Copyright 2012 Tampa Bay Times

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
Says a lot about gun safety in the USA. Of the countries that keep track we're in the 86th percentile for accidental gun deaths... only behind Mexico, Estonia, Brazil, Spain and Argentina.

Based on what metric? Deaths/100K population, number of deaths?

Learn to look behind the headlines.
Deaths/100k pop which controls for variation in population size between various nations.

Would you consider researching the raw data and doing statistical analysis "looking behind the headlines"?
I think the key here is "Of countries that keep track" It's probaly safe to say that is you only included the gun owners, we would be about average. I would guess that most countries that "Keep Track" have either barriers to gun ownership or simply less of the population that owns guns compared to U.S. That is what I mean when I think of looking behind the headlines.
No, that just means that some countries, developed and undeveloped, don't keep track of accidental gun deaths. It would be irresponsible and innaccurate for either of us to make conclusions supporting our own arguments as to what's going on since data just doesn't exist.

You miss my point Wes. To be meaningful the statistic should measure % of handgun accidents AMONG THOSE OWNING A HANDGUN. Otherwise the fact that some countries have lower percentages of handgun owners will skew the statistic. Which of course is what happened here. We are supposed to read the statisitc and say "Wow, American gun owners are a bunch of dumbshits" then close our minds and turn on The View so we can be fed more misinformation.

If you ever get through statistics class you will learn that the most important thing in statistical studies is to make sure you are measuring the right thing to begin with!

Mark K

Super Anarchist

Nobody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2083008/Navy-SEAL-accidentally-shoots-head-showing-gun-woman-met-bar.html

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh

Hillsborough deputies: Man accidentally shoots, kills himself in Lithia

By Danny Valentine, Times Staff Writer

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 05:54 AM

LITHIA — A 19-year-old man shot and killed himself early Thursday while apparently handling a handgun he thought was unloaded, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

The incident happened about 2 a.m. at a home at 10139 Bryant Road.

Taylor J. McKenna, who lives at the home, was socializing with several friends, playing video games.

At some point, an unloaded handgun was shown to the group and then reloaded. McKenna, unaware the gun had been reloaded, picked up the firearm and fired a round, striking himself once in the head. He died at the scene.

His body was taken to the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner's Office.

The other men were not immediately identified, and no other information was available early Thursday morning. Homicide investigators and crime scene technicians remained at the scene.

Danny Valentine can be reached at (813) 226-3386 or [email protected]

[Last modified: Apr 26, 2012 11:59 AM]

Copyright 2012 Tampa Bay Times
Very good, Dr Booth.

That happens when you violate Commandments 1 and 2. A tragedy, but fortunately, one that is getting rarer every year.

When a gun leaves the hand, even if it's for seconds, a knowledgeable shooter will check it immediately when picking it up. I've seen a new race gun handed around a circle of top IPSC shooters. Without thinking about it, everyone who accepted the gun reflexively checked the mag well, then the chamber, before pointing it straight up to test the trigger. The muzzle never came near to sweeping anyone. Good manners.

How's Floriduh?

Last edited by a moderator:

left hook

Super Anarchist
You miss my point Wes. To be meaningful the statistic should measure % of handgun accidents AMONG THOSE OWNING A HANDGUN. Otherwise the fact that some countries have lower percentages of handgun owners will skew the statistic. Which of course is what happened here. We are supposed to read the statisitc and say "Wow, American gun owners are a bunch of dumbshits" then close our minds and turn on The View so we can be fed more misinformation.

If you ever get through statistics class you will learn that the most important thing in statistical studies is to make sure you are measuring the right thing to begin with!
If you ever got through a class on reading comprehension you would see that I never classified these as "handgun" numbers. They're for all accidental firearm deaths regardless of the type of weapon. Because dumb shits don't just own handguns.

And for the record, I scored a 98 in statistics.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
And for the record, I scored a 98 in statistics.
Good for you. How did I do at picking out the bullshit?
Florida; 1/50th of the states in the United States of America. That's like saying you did a statistical sample of Manhattan residents by looking at people who live on Staten Island.
Your teacher must not have focused much on answering the questions that were asked. :lol:

I didn't post the article, just identified the gungrabby propaganda BS contained within it. How'd I do? :p

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land

^ This.

, also from the Colonel

Make these rules a part of your character.
Never compromise them.

Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does.

Education can cure this.

You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same.

Set the example.

Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?

Shibby

Super Anarchist
I can see where eventually your vigilance slips, a moment of in attention and you have an accidental discharge.
True of any hobby or profession that can kill you. Like: Sailing, racing cars/bikes/snowmobiles/pretty much anything faster than a walk, climbing mountains, not chewing your food properly, mowing the lawn, driving anywhere, diving into a pool, building a house, working with equipment that can kill you, screwing anything that will hold still long enough to get it in, just about any sport, drinking too much alcohol, doing too many drugs, showering/bathing, keeping exotic pets, etc.

I think we all could make a list of at least a hundred things that we all do that could kill either ourselves, or someone else unintentionally. Life is inherently dangerous. One of my favorite movie lines is from Fight Club: "On a long enough timeline, everyone's life expectancy drops to zero". Why so many people are so fixated on firearm injuries or deaths is beyond me.
how many times have you cheated death?

Latest posts