MANSLOW’s HAMMER?

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
The law of the instrumentlaw of the hammer,[1] Maslow's hammer (or gavel), or golden hammer[a]is a cognitive bias that involves an over-reliance on a familiar tool. As Abraham Maslow said in 1966, "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail

Last edited by a moderator:

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/538_EMIRATES-TEAM-NEW-ZEALAND-HYDROGEN-FOILING-CHASE-BOAT-IN-FITOUT-PREPARING-FOR-LAUNCH.html

Chase boat being prepared for launch. Wonder how much this actually costs TeamGD?  Are they paying their bills?
Don’t know about you, but I’m not overly impressed by TNZ’s (notice, no Emirates signage on the boat) effort: when your experience is with multihulls - even the AC75 can be considered one- and catamaran hulls adapted as TV camera boats, the result is underwhelming

Problem is, when you get into motor boats, there are scores of designers with infinitely deeper accumulated experience. Just as an example, by the mythical year 2024 there will also be the start of the RaceBird electric boat races, organized by the same deep pocket guys of E1 race cars

The proof of concept has already been tested, by the end of 2023 thirty identical boats will have been built

ED67659D-4C79-434E-B983-C2FAB596FC3E.jpeg

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
I guess a multi-hull platform offers inherent stability.

If the design objective is outright speed, maybe not the best choice.

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
Endless invention, smaller and smaller iterations, then huge leaps.  We all benefit in the end.

Thanks @Xlot for some interesting thoughts on this thread.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Don’t know about you, but I’m not overly impressed by TNZ’s (notice, no Emirates signage on the boat) effort: when your experience is with multihulls - even the AC75 can be considered one- and catamaran hulls adapted as TV camera boats, the result is underwhelming

Problem is, when you get into motor boats, there are scores of designers with infinitely deeper accumulated experience. Just as an example, by the mythical year 2024 there will also be the start of the RaceBird electric boat races, organized by the same deep pocket guys of E1 race cars

The proof of concept has already been tested, by the end of 2023 thirty identical boats will have been built

View attachment 490774
Your observation re:sponsorship is interesting :)

In regards to the objective of this boat, it is not to win a race (well, not with the chase boat anyway).

The objective is to suppliment some of the development costs for ETNZ by keeping their design and build team employed and earning an income whilst they wait for things to pick-up, and wind up with a great package that meets some unique demands for AC chase boats.

In this regard, the design solution is pretty bang on.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
5t displacement on 10m LOA makes for stubby hulls - not the case on a mono. And inherent stability is not a factor on a foiler

As for supplementing ETNZ’s development costs, I would imagine challengers are already giving with the AC40, not betting on the chase boats. Artemis is supposed to be interested, for one

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
5t displacement on 10m LOA makes for stubby hulls - not the case on a mono. And inherent stability is not a factor on a foiler

As for supplementing ETNZ’s development costs, I would imagine challengers are already giving with the AC40, not betting on the chase boats. Artemis is supposed to be interested, for one
It doesn't foil when it is at rest... chase boats do this quite a lot, as well as make drastic tight turns, and also will want to emulate handling characterstics of AC75s.

AC40 revenue is desired too, and yet even with chase boats revenue ETNZ still need *more*.

View attachment 490774
They look cool, but 50 kn top speed. A bit last year isn't it. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
They look cool, but 50 kn top speed. A bit last year isn't it. 
Agree that they look very cool. As Xlot suggested above we could see some different designs brought to the game by Challengers. Some could be even cooler!

Won't get deep into the mono vs cat argument for the HSVs but yes once they are foiling it makes no real difference; yes, them being cats makes for a better platform when stationary; and 50kts is good for the obvious 'speed of sound barrier' reason.  :)    And while they will all look really cool, I am also hopeful for the potential prospects of green hydro power. It may be that this was a choice made primarily to entice Toyota's sponsorship but (like with a whole bunch of what SailGP does) - the Clean Message gets my thumbs up. It's pretty cool.

atwinda

Anarchist
And while they will all look really cool, I am also hopeful for the potential prospects of green hydro power. It may be that this was a choice made primarily to entice Toyota's sponsorship but (like with a whole bunch of what SailGP does) - the Clean Message gets my thumbs up. It's pretty cool.
Real green. Shipping beach cats made from carbon, support boats, people, etc... around the world. How much plastic waste do you think was generated just from the rebuild of team Japan's starboard hull? The molds are likely in NZ at the shop, so build a new bow there, ship it to SF... the whole "powered by nature" / carbon neutral thing is pure fasade. 

I like Sail GP... But the green marking thing is ridiculous.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Your observation re:sponsorship is interesting :)

In regards to the objective of this boat, it is not to win a race (well, not with the chase boat anyway).

The objective is to suppliment some of the development costs for ETNZ by keeping their design and build team employed and earning an income whilst they wait for things to pick-up, and wind up with a great package that meets some unique demands for AC chase boats.

In this regard, the design solution is pretty bang on.
Really?  There is no downtime in ac development.  All of the other teams have their designers working on their AC75’s.   This is a complete waste of time and money.  The design looks very crude and simplistic and ETNZ is way out of their league in trying to design such a boat.

A design like this is much more natural and look more stable:

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Really?  There is no downtime in ac development.  All of the other teams have their designers working on their AC75’s.   This is a complete waste of time and money.  The design looks very crude and simplistic and ETNZ is way out of their league in trying to design such a boat.

ALC! We missed yah :)

I haven't seen this sort of emphatic opinioning since the last cup when ETNZ were written off with their unstable shitty :D boat! 

This time ETNZ won't have much to do without any money to do things with.

You are comparing a zero emissions active foiling chase boat with a petrol guzzling cruisecat with a retrofitted solid passive wing offering foil-assist?

Shucks mate - that's not very charitable!

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Haha better watch out. it might be like the AC75 and not get off the dock, or be unstable, unsafe and kill someone right? lol

Nothing in the renderings really shows the Chase boats, despite how green, being able to haul all the crap an AC chase needs to cart around. Anyone remember the AM near sinking...crash pumps, air bags, safety diver and gear not to mention the spare/different code head sails I assume the boats will use.