Marine Surveyor course

Greig

Just wondering if anyone has done a marine surveyor course in the U.S. or Canada and what ones they would recommend for a person interested mostly in small boats?

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
contact either:

NAMS (The national association of marine surveyors)

www.nams-cms.org

or SAMS

www.marinesurvey.org (society of accredited marine surveyors)

Damn Yankee

I did this course called Navtech and the only thing good about it was the info that they send you. It is a correspondence course and the test is simple. I would not count on their accreditation but use SAMS or NAMS. You should also take any ABYC exams offered in your area. They are difficult and should best prepare you

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
The market is developed by your talents mainly. I have seen surveys that said "yup, it's a boat alright." Then I have seen surveys that comment on the condition of every single hose clamp in the boat down to that level of detail.

Then as a surveyor, there are two types of surveys. A buyers survey and a sellers survey. A sellers survey will look like "yup, it's a boat alright." A buyers survey is one that goes over the condition of every little thing on a boat.

There are other surveys that are conducted, such as a valuation survey for tax deduction purposes. Almost all condition surveys include a valuation section. So not only will you pick apart a boat for its condition, you also have to have an idea where the market place is on the value of the boats (selling of similar boats in the same condition).

Greig

I was checking out the Navtech course, liked the correspondence idea, but was wondering whether it would be accredited. For 1500 US$ I didn't want to waste my time on something that would not be accredited. I was also interested to see if anybody was doing online courses. When perusing the internet last night, I didn't find much.

While probably the money is okay, my interest is in job flexibility.

Greig

Besides the types of surveys mentioned above, the big one in our region seems to be the insurance companies wanting a survey on boats older than 20 years. While not all insurance companies are asking for it yet, it does appear to be a trend.

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
Cripes, back in the days of wooden boats, before the fantastic plastic ones showed up, underwriters would look for surveys every two years. They wanted to make sure that the wood wasn't rotting and they didn't want to pay for sunken boats.

Insurance companies are requiring surveys when a boat is older than 10 year, some do it after 20. And what they are looking for in the fantastic plastic boats is to see that the installations made since it was new are up to spec. Too often the surveyors find untinned wire, house sold wire, fire extinguishers that haven't been maintained for 10 years, and moisture in the hull or deck. Those things are the normal ones to find.

Latest posts