Maritime Art Anarchy

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Stopped by my friend’s home and this was in the kitchen. Their daughter drew it when she was 4. In college now studying art. She inspired my younger daughter to take up the art.

432ED3D1-A8D2-4AD8-AC57-6CA71D0362BA.jpeg

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
A little pulp cover art from Errol Flynn's first book "Beam Ends".

small.png

5275424485_25e82b0c8c_b.jpg

"Beam Ends" is the story of a young Errol Flynn's adventures with his mates, sailing 3000 miles from Sydney to New Guinea in a tired and leaky 50 year-old cutter-rigged 44' schooner "Sirocco".   Though the book claims the boat was purchased "from the proceeds of stolen jewels wagered in a card game", it is now thought his mother bought it for him in a final attempt to lure him into some level of maturity via an offered sea adventure.

Beam Ends was published in 1937.  Banned in Germany at the time for "too much levity", it was one of near a half-dozen books he managed to write while engaging in every other form of debauchery or while not sailing in his later yachts (2nd "Sirocco" - a 74' Alden design, and "Zaca" a 118' three-masted schooner built in Sausalito)

Full of adventure, the book defines early his devil-may-care lifestyle and love of sailing and that he lived in full, pretty much to the end of his life.

Every sailboat should have a copy in the head for light reading.

55475.jpg

The hardcover dust jacket version (below) is a little less spirited.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Mrs. Bull and I went to Nova Scotia several years ago, and spent some time wandering the beautiful coastline, including this spot, Prospect (I think) not far from Peggy's Cove.

A4132F20-1E54-4810-AF71-B423C0E13853_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
There is a chapter in Ernest Gann's book 'Song Of The Sirens' where he sails what must be a jangada... doesn't use the proper name for it, just calls it a sailing raft. But he praises it's speed. One of my favorite adventures in that book.

- DSK

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Painting or Vessel ?
I think it's a nice painting. Don't want any sailboat but the one I've got.

I'm pretty certain that the schooner is heading down Merchants Row, just south of Stonington, Maine, but I need to ask the artist and see the painting in person before I pull the trigger. It ain't cheap. We mostly just buy art that relates to places, people or things that are important in our lives, and we've sailed that very spot many times. 

Latest posts