Mark Mills designed 60’ offshore foiler

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
It was bound to happen, but an "offshore" boat?  Ok, let's see them do some real offshore sailing, even the Caribbean 600 or Middle Sea Race, where they are never far from land, but yet the conditions can be really nasty. Let's see them complete one of those courses first before the likes of 4 proclaim Dalton and the freak boat the precursor to the holy grail of yachting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
It was bound to happen, but an "offshore" boat?  Ok, let's see them do some real offshore sailing, even the Caribbean 600 or Middle Sea Race, where they are never far from land, but yet the conditions can be really nasty. Let's see them complete one of those courses first before the likes of 4 proclaim Dalton and the freak boat the precursor to the holy grail of yachting.
Even if it did, you'd still find something to bitch about. Haters gon hate...

Fact is, it only has to do what it was designed to do, what the designers envisioned it to do, not what haters like you want or think it should do.

Super Anarchist
I take it the crew positions on deck are critical  for balance weight distribution etc , looking like it'd be pretty darn intimate for the off watch in a longer distance race

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
When this winged-foiler/alternating ballast concept was introduced for AC36 my instant reaction was OmIGod this could Work!

But lot of people were for good reasons very skeptical. Dalton said during the AC75 design announcement that he could foresee a day when boats like these could be seen even racing up and down in Auckland, outside the team base window he was speaking from. I will give him and the others involved, maybe especially Guillame, credit for having the courage to make the leap. Continuing with cats may have been as smart since they go just as fast and may have evolved even faster but this is still an extremely smart design, it is catching on.

I wish we were on an AC72 V4 by now but it is what it is.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
When this winged-foiler/alternating ballast concept was introduced for AC36 my instant reaction was OmIGod this could Work!

But lot of people were for good reasons very skeptical. Dalton said during the AC75 design announcement that he could foresee a day when boats like these could be seen even racing up and down in Auckland, outside the team base window he was speaking from. I will give him and the others involved, maybe especially Guillame, credit for having the courage to make the leap. Continuing with cats may have been as smart since they go just as fast and may have evolved even faster but this is still an extremely smart design, it is catching on.

I wish we were on an AC72 V4 by now but it is what it is.
Impressive. There'll unlikely be a conventional (non-foiling) fleet which will want to race against these designs. So, might be a bit of a white elephant for a wee while. 

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
There does seem to be a foil in the centerline, is it ballasted?
Yep.  From the Mills web site:

437-FN262-F01-1024x576.png

Apparently there was also a front page article here in 2021.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
There does seem to be a foil in the centerline, is it ballasted?
From what I understand they kept the 'traditional' centreline ballasted keel for 2 reasons;

1. To satisfy IRC(Lloyds?) stability requirements so they can actually enter into races

2. For it's actual purpose - increased stability especially when operating in non-foiling mode (light winds, docking etc) - while the boat will no doubt run with significant chase boat support it will have to be able to operate more independently than the AC boats do so some additional stability was required. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the design also allows for it to be removed and sailed in 'full send' mode...

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I have one word for you:

WILLIWAW

and one name:

Dave Keiper

Varan

Super Anarchist
This thread has lead

fn.jpg

and probably belongs in Ocean Racing Anarchy... 

Waiting for her to topple many course records. (Above pic and more in Sail-World piece)

Latest posts