Mark Mills foiler in action

Slowboat

Super Anarchist
Not a fan. Engine droning in the background- why not just put the engine to a prop?
It ain't sailing. The BEST part of sailing is the moment you turn the engine off!
I agree after watching the video. I went into the video psyched, and left not impressed. Other than “wow, I’m going fast” it doesn’t look very enjoyable. The engine noise was terrible.

I sail because I enjoy it…

SEC16518

What's it burn? 5gal/hr? lol.....How much fuel would they need to carry for a Fastnet or Middle Sea race?

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Because the AC guys did it, so why not give it a try
Not a fan. Engine droning in the background- why not just put the engine to a prop?
It ain't sailing. The BEST part of sailing is the moment you turn the engine off!
I'm guessing that it's not done for the experience. If you go out in 10knts but have 30knts going over the deck, it won't be such a pleasent experience.
I agree after watching the video. I went into the video psyched, and left not impressed. Other than “wow, I’m going fast” it doesn’t look very enjoyable. The engine noise was terrible.

I sail because I enjoy it…
Agreed
What's it burn? 5gal/hr? lol.....How much fuel would they need to carry for a Fastnet or Middle Sea race?
The video mentions if being for up to cat 3 races and is only designed for 1.5m seas, so I suspect that won't be such a problem
haven’t the maxi multihulls been doing these speeds(and more) for years now without a frigging noisy engine running?
I suspect that this is not about absolute speed. Motorboats have been going faster for 120+ years.

In the video, they were taking about it been built down to a cost, something Maxi 72 owners can afford. So I'm guessing the Maxi 72 program is what they are hoping to emulate.

Last edited:

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
The choice is to feed, house and clothe several large gorillas to grind or simply switch to power winches, which are faster, cheaper and lighter.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
1%er problems
actually not even close.

I googled the wealth needed to be considered in the 1% and got various of anwsers. Not one figure presented came close to being enough to afford this boat, let alone run a program.

I'm guessing it more likely a 0.1%er problem