Mark Mills foiler in action

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
I appreciate what you're saying Mr. Boardhead and I might be way off but to me it looks like it's made for going fast in a straight line on flat water in a pretty limited wind range. Nothing wrong with that I guess, if they're having fun with their money then good on em. Maybe I shoulda just said, "that's probably not how I would have allocated my funds in pursuit of sailing fun???"

Nh stumpjumper

Doesn't seem particularly advanced. Maybe within budget restraints it was the best they could do? That board that's out of the water looks to me like it will create havoc in any sea state. Bet there are some interesting loads on the keel too. I'd bet any of the bigger tris or newer Vendee type foiling monos will run roughshod on that thing in any kind of sea state.
It's a flat water sailor.

dreamingwet

Fascinating boat no doubt, but if I had that kind of $ I would do a Rambler v2. Or something like Comanche but smaller

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Fascinating boat no doubt, but if I had that kind of $ I would do a Rambler v2. Or something like Comanche but smaller
If I had that kind of money I'd pursue the fastest boat in the 25ft-28ft / 7.5m-8.5m range several designers could come up with. Then I'd have them analyzed for cost versus performance and look for the optimized overall .1kt VMG per $10,000USD. It would be designed to be as fast as possible without using a canting keel, side lifting foils, rotating mast, or water ballast. Everything else would be on the table. They would have to be able to sleep the crew in pipe berths that are really for sail storage, portable head, something that holds an existing high end cooler securely so that it is easily replaceable, tiny table that can handle making sandwiches, 5gal fresh water and tiny sink. Removable sprit that can be folded upwards at the dock. And a launcher tube for the spinnaker with a sealable hatch ala the Cape31.

Pick the winning design and have a few hull molds and tooling built, build one of carbon, another with higher end glass and some carbon, another in the tradition of mass production. See how they compare to each other, optimize, race them. Then introduce a limited OD class where you can have anything within the box of the chosen design but permitting different hull materials, rig materials, and sail plans. It would use an existing rating system such as ORC to rate together, must be a VPP based handicap so nothing like PHRF. Then I'd make the design information free and offer the hull mold for replication or use, and if it built up I'd have a few more molds built and ship them to interested builders. Last I would go ahead and have several built and sell them to interested individuals at below build cost to jump start the fleet, sponsor them to travel to events with me so I have competition and the boat get advertising, always put pro tacticians on the boats for the first three years.

Or maybe just buy and dump a bunch of money into advertising and sponsoring an existing builder like Code Yachts and push the Code 8 OD, Code 8, and Code 10? Build and sponsor a bunch of those and get them into the hands of dealerships with racing interests. Sponsor their boats into local events and high profile regional events. Push the boat really hard, fill them with known sailing names every so often and cherry pick a few high profile events. Get the boats into all big boat shows and advertise anywhere that makes sense. Then start marketing to designers, execs, and owners of several large boat builders and offer to continue finance advertising the boats if they take them over and push their own flavor of marketing, sales and production know how but continue with the racing pedigree.

High performance big boats offer speed but the loads, skills, and costs are too high for the majority of sailors. Most production boats are too much of a cruiser compromise. In the US the only boat similar to this is the J/70 and it has nothing downstairs and an mildly above average performance to show for that loss. Vexing.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
From the infamous Front Page, a different boat though, not the Mills boat discussed here....

1662240368519.png

Alinghi Red Bull’s AC75 caught in a rain squall while being towed back from a training session…

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
in depth Interview with Mark Mills about Flying Nikka.

Fun part, he decribes this as some form of sailing like windsurfing in the past.
It's not a danger towards conventional sailing, Just something additionally new.

One remark: he doesn't need the expensive dual sails like the AC 75 and AC 40.

Latest posts