Mark Zuckerberg sails a J80

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
So many examples. Simply put, the higher the winch is mounted (high combings), the more leverage it has to cause some damage when pulled in the opposite direction (windward). Not an issue for non overlapping boats but can be for older designs with larger head sails.
A lot of the Farr 40's tried cross sheeting the jibs.  A lot of them developed cracks and de-lams in the companionway area.  Besides, they all found out that wasn't ergonomically efficient!  Still, every new Farr 40 owner has to try it out, because they know something that no one else does!  

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Now that you mention it, the Farr 30 I sail on also flexes quite a bit when cross sheeting in heavy air.
I sailed on one boat a few times that did a cross sheeting system for the spin sheets.  It took them about three minutes to get everything lead properly coming out of a set.  it was a complete Cluster Fuck.  It wasn't ergonomic, it wasn't efficient, and it wasn't fast.  Also for a boat that flew a staysail on almost every run, they never put it on a furler.  They telegraphed every gybe.  

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
This thread has lost the plot!

Massive sag - needs to crank that jib halyard.

Main looks down too far. Let off the vang, twist it off and bring up that traveller!
For sag you need to tighten the rig, halyard will affect luff wrinkles and how far forward the draft is, but its the wrong control for sag.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
For sag you need to tighten the rig, halyard will affect luff wrinkles and how far forward the draft is, but its the wrong control for sag.
Correct, although some boats point better with jib luff sag. Rotates the entry away from the mainsail leading edge. That's one of the first things I play with in a new boat (after getting other stuff sorted out).

FB- Doug

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
That's when you pitch the Class 40 derived one design fleet for the annual Facebook Race to Hawaii.
I think the problem is time, not money. after all, if you don't show up on Saturday, then don't bother showing up on Sunday. they work those kids hard.

still, as the Zuck's seem to so ably demonstrate - tech bro's can sail. So fundamentally I like your idea - and a fleet of modern euro one designs in the bay does seem like a good fit. that said - J105's seem to be doing okay.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I don't love government intervention into business or private lives at all.  Zuckerberg is not evil - he had a fantastic idea that there was obviously a massive demand for and figured out how to make billions of dollars.  Good for him.

That said, we have anti-trust rules for a reason.  Monopoly powers are bad for consumers in general, and a little government hand on the balance scales is not a bad thing.  In Facebook's case, they - and Twitter, and other social media companies - need to be regulated like the public square.  That means no banning people.  But it also means fewer algorithms to show you what the social media giant thinks you should (and should not) be interested in.  Facebook got the way it is because it has billions of users (fine) and because its algorithms were designed to drive addictive clicking sprees, thus driving up advertising views.

Out in the real world, you don't get to choose, for example, which political yard signs you see, and neither does some decision-maker on high.  Instead of layering on more useless "safety" measures, Facebook should be required to ditch most of its algorithms, or make them opt-in, not opt-out (but I prefer just getting rid of them).  You click on one person's update, for example, and Facebook decides you need constant emails whenever that person updates again.  You can turn those off, but frankly the default setting on everything should be "off."  Treat everyone's updates equally and just show the most recent stuff, instead of prioritizing things to show based on what you clicked on in the past.  If you want to find the latest political conspiracy theory, you should have to go looking for it, not have it pop up just because you clicked on the last one.

Kill the algorithms, stop banning people, don't let Facebook be the arbiter of what is truth and what isn't, and stop having Facebook continually showing people what Facebook wants them to see because clicks, and then we will have a much easier time enforcing personal responsibility and making people accountable for their own bad behavior on Facebook.
So basically this proves my basic thesis. "People are stupid, and also, people are stupid."

Latest posts