Marshall Sanderling 18 Catboat

deep c

In addition to not oversheeting the main, centerboard adjustment is key to controlling excessive weather helm. Off the wind bring the board up a bit until broad reaching no board at all.

Our Menger’s sail area was such and the single line reefing set up so you could raise the centerboard, ease the sheet, and reef easily. Probably doable on a Sanderling.

The 22’s sail is heavier and significantly larger and the reef is set with a pendant at tack and clew. Which does make the installed autopilot invaluable. Marshall installed a heavy below deck system that works great as long as helm balance is attended to.

hopsaddict

Nevertheless, the big sail is a beast, and aside from the tasks requiring strength, there are fussy bits like making sure the gaff doesn't tangle the lazyjacks as you raise or lower.

Yeah. Raising the sail was the point that I had made. We were debating why you really don't see any recreational catboats beyond about 25'. The sail weight, and challenge of hoisting was my reasoning.

For boat this size, 21st century standards mandate an autopilot for a singlehander, and I'm not sure that's feasible. The loads on the helm are highwith that famous catboat weather helm.

I hadn't thought of that. One day, I'll have to put a meter on my pilot and see how much power it draws as the conditions change.

Get yourself a Nonsuch 36 or 40 and learn how to trim using that funky wishbone!

Nope and nope. I have enough to learn. Isn't a catboat idiosyncratic enough?

In addition to not oversheeting the main, centerboard adjustment is key to controlling excessive weather helm. Off the wind bring the board up a bit until broad reaching no board at all.

Ah. That's a good tip! Nobody had ever mentioned using the centerboard that way to me. I knew about the oversheeting and have mostly compensated with that so far. I'll give the centerboard trick a try too. Thanks!

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
We were happy to share the river with the Sanderling, the only
sailboat we saw today as Dad, brother and me putt putted around in the newly acquired raceboat mothership. Sail set correctly with no wrinkles from over/under tensioning the peak halyard after the throat halyard has been set.
6945B2BD-0DDC-449C-AA9C-7F351951FE2F.jpeg
2688DE13-98EB-4B56-B5EF-743129DE98F5.jpeg
06506A03-8991-4917-9F63-11014B7584C0.jpeg
BDC76618-6CEC-4108-9589-D5F6F48BF994.jpeg

Will1073

Anarchist
I’ve got a Marshall 18 (inboard) that is coming into our shop for a full refit this winter (full paint, pulling the engine and cleaning up the engine compartment, sail, etc etc etc.

9536ACA6-2800-4191-8B53-25C13A6E2FF9.jpeg

Will try and keep you guys updated.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I’ve got a Marshall 18 (inboard) that is coming into our shop for a full refit this winter (full paint, pulling the engine and cleaning up the engine compartment, sail, etc etc etc.

View attachment 556292

Will try and keep you guys updated.
That's a sweet little boat.

@hopsaddict has been debating adding one of those vents to the cabin top for ventilation. I've been trying to dissuade him but maybe I'm wrong.

We're having difficulty finding opening ports that are close in dimension and style to the existing ports. Do you have any info on that? @Sail4beer ?

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Personally, I’d just find a used
Round porthole online and install it in the front of the cabin face like the Hereshoff America Cat has. If you’re camp cruising there’s enough breeze that can come though the cabin with the companionway open that you don’t need opening ports, in my opinion after sailing cats for years.
B21A69CD-C52F-4548-905A-7A4FA3EF4E52.jpeg

Last edited:

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I’ll check my yard and see if there’s one around that @hopsaddict can have. Might still be in the cabin face of the wrecked America cat hull. I cut the bronze portlights out to install on the Marshall restoration, which had plastic frames.

hopsaddict

I’ll check my yard and see if there’s one around that @hopsaddict can have. Might still be in the cabin face of the wrecked America cat hull. I cut the bronze portlights out to install on the Marshall restoration, which had plastic frames.

Any idea what the dimension of the inside flange is? I'll check on the Sanderling the next time I have a chance to measure it.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
After looking at the hull again, I think I’m going to make it into another booze&cruise launch. I have enough teak to make it look pretty and elegant again. I’ll fill in the porthole and repair the cut out sections of the cabin face, glass the deck back on and fit out the interior with teak grates for the sole and benches. I can’t wait to get on it, I just have a few other boats to finish and sell first.

Latest posts