• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I have team raced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
I have seen a lot of boats designed around match racing as a concept, but I am not entirely sure many people do that with the boats.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I voted no, but I did teach match racing to the juniors as the race coach. Fun stuff, but between the ages of 15 and 18 if you get spit out the back frustration sets in and no one gains. Short courses and lots of starts seemed to work best.

Late,

Shag

Sisu3360

Anarchist
As I posted before, I'd like to see more opportunities to match race for the "common man." It should be more accessible to your average club racer. The thing is there isn't that much of a MR culture in this country, so starting a match race series is pretty low on most clubs' agendas.

ChiGuy

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan Richardson's Cup qualifier. Had my ass kicked by a girl... who did go on to win the Richardson's Cup that year

STYacht.com

Super Anarchist
Amsterdam
As I posted before, I'd like to see more opportunities to match race for the "common man." It should be more accessible to your average club racer. The thing is there isn't that much of a MR culture in this country, so starting a match race series is pretty low on most clubs' agendas.
I think it is resources based. Probably old news in an earlier forum I didn't read, but if you have just two boats on the start line you have a lot fewer sailors spreading the pain than in a fleet race.

That is also why I put in a choice about team racing - in my eyes the best of fleet and match. It overcomes the numbers problem, but is heavily dependent on sailing/starting smart and knowing your rules, not so much on pure boatspeed. Some of the coolest regattas around do combinations. I remember one in the northeast US where the fleet race is used to seed the team racing pairings, not unlike the Acts.

RockHead

Super Anarchist
Marblehead, MA
Years ago I organized and raced in a match race series at a community sailing center I taught at in Boston. Great fun. I'd love to do more of it. Bit of a pain in the ass to organize and adminster.

J/24 divisionals in Duluth years ago... tied for first in points but the winners beat us in a match so no NA's for us. I would LOVE to do more of it, but there's just not the opportunity waaaaaaaaaay up here in the middle of nowhere, unless its lasers or lightnings. No one organises matches, so I guess there's an opportunity here.

257racing

In our little "rotten country of Denmark" we have several match race centers.

The boats are not super hot, the sails good old dracon, but as long as the sails are equal you have great fun and learn a lot. Of the 15 danish participants in Valencia more than 10 of them have gone through the match race centers.

Have a look at matchrace.kdy.dk for more info, and enjoy reading danish :)

G

Crewed with another Anarchist a while ago in a J24 match race regatta in Hampton, VA. That was a blast! Also organized and raced in a match racing event at the Navy base in Pensacola for the base intramural sports series in new Hunter 170's. Me an another USAF guy took the overall trophy - pissed off all the Navy Annapolis grads to no end! :eek:

hhn92

Super Anarchist
Tampa Bay Fla
Club had a match race championship back in '99, '00 or so. First time ever sailing a match. Followed the first flight around in my powerboat to get an idea how the J24's were going. A friend, a future POW winner, gives me advice on talking to the crew before the race and let them know what to expect from me and find-out what they need. Goal was to make the semi's on Sunday.

Went thru the rounds with only one loss (to my Tripp 40 boat owner/Sunfish class competitor after I pinned him out at the start but blew it). Just happened to get matched-up in the semi's to a young guy who had just come back from the POW series and got waxed, but at least not without a good fight.

Tons of fun though and would gladly do it again given the chance. Being relatively unknown except as crew, it turned a lot of heads, which was a kick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy match racing. I wish more events would get organized, I would sign up. Its really great for young college kids to get involved as well cause you don't need to own the boat...just show up and race. Prolly the most economic way to race aside from sailing sombody else's boat. Love it

I really enjoy match racing. I wish more events would get organized, I would sign up. Its really great for young college kids to get involved as well cause you don't need to own the boat...just show up and race. Prolly the most economic way to race aside from sailing sombody else's boat. Love it
I just read the post and had a little laugh, not at that post just remembering all the damage I have done to other peoples yachts match racing, mostly brfore they changed the collision rules in the 90's :lol:

Bash24

Super Anarchist
Wilmington, NC
The logistical side of the Match Race is the problem. To do it right, you need on the water umpires following each match. That really adds a lot of non racing volunteers and powerboats to run the event. I don't know about you guys, but finding someone who wants to come to a sailboat race and not race is tough.

The match races I have done didn't have on the water umpires and we had to have protests heard back at the dock. It really kept you from being as agressive as you would like.

I'd love to do more Match Race stuff, but the logistics for most clubs is really tough, that's probably why more people haven't done it. It is more fun than you can shake a stick at though.

Latest posts