Material for trailer hull supports

crashtack

Both carpet and plastic coverings have trapped water between the hull and hull supports on my trailer in the past, causing damage to the paint and gelcoat.

I'm considering buying either artificial grass or cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) foam - can anyone provide some insight as to which is superior in this case? Or should I get something else entirely?

The Q

Super Anarchist
I don't think there's anything that won't trap some water.

Previously I used carpet which held quite a lot of water.

On mine I've now used polyethylene foam, mostly because I can now get 10 inch square, 1.5 inch thick pieces of the foam, which are scrap push outs from test equipment packaging.

Ok it doesn't hold water inside itself, but there was a film of water between foam and hull this morning when I wound two pads down this morning to paint those pieces of hull. We did have 12 hours of heavy rain yesterday.

crashtack

Thoughts on something like dimpled pvc car floor protectors to reduce contact area?

Cheap-Clear-PVC-Plastic-Universal-Vehicle-Auto-Foot-Carpet-Car-Floor-Mats-5pcs-Sets-White-l2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
If you use a hard foam the cradle must be a perfectly  molded match the hull  or you concentrate the load on the hard spots

seams that medium density ensolite type foam about 12mm thick is a common choice 

2E70A9D3-D222-4559-949B-1FD82B6E2EBC.png

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
Our C&C 35's cradle pads have ribbed rubber floor runners cut to size for protection, and The Shark trailer bunks are clad with scraps of shrinkwrap film over carpet. Both boats have race prepped finishes (the 35's VC17 over InterProtect 2000e and the Shark's VC17 over VC Performance Epoxy), and neither have exhibited any damage from trapped moisture.

1388977855_20220109PadPort.jpg

1690189282_20220109BunkPort.jpg

Cheers!

HypnoToad

Anarchist
Some types of artificial grass are very abrasive. We used some on a Melges 24 trailer. It's windy all the time here. The boat tends to wiggle around a bit. The artificial turf rubbed through the gelcoat. No bueno.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Multiple layers of outdoor carpet seems to wick out the moisture pretty well. 

i am referring to the stuff that looks like a very fine  Scotch Brite Pad. 
the variety with ribs works a little better. 

lots of compressive wright on the carpet pile defeats it’s purpose 

why: Years ago, I swear that variety was sold as polypropylene carpet. I started using it because wicking clothing for hikers was made with polypropylene. 
no matter what, it dries out  WAY better than scraps cut from high pile  indoor carpet.