Mauna Loa volcano

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Yup - my #2 brother lives in Hilo, all of 3.5 miles from where the last flow stopped. So far all lava contained in crater.

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
We holidayed there two weeks ago and trials for hiking near the summit were closed. I'd never seen the lava fields and caldera but it was an eye opener even viewed from a distance.

And I think Kona may be the 'coolest' of the islands

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
We holidayed there two weeks ago and trials for hiking near the summit were closed. I'd never seen the lava fields and caldera but it was an eye opener even viewed from a distance.

And I think Kona may be the 'coolest' of the islands
Next time you visit the Big Island, spend a day or two visiting the far far Northwest of the island, the Kohala Coast. Find an AirBNB near Hawi and explore. It's all rainforest and horse ranches. You absolutely wouldn't believe you're on that same active volcanic island.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
OOPS - sorry, the Mauna Loa webcams I linked too above do not seem to be updating, showing old info. Your tax dollars at work!!
Eruption updates: Vents have moved from main calders out to NE rift zone, small flows heading downslope vaguely towards Hilo. From small amount of actual video found they are being directed by the edge of the 1984 flows (each flow leaves a raised strip). Amount of lava issuing from vents is low, don't see these flows going very far. (unless activity really picks up)

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I think they're confused. Kilauea has had a fairly stable lava lake for quite a while now
Yes, it is an eruption, but very little change over time

And just got of phone call to bro in Hilo. Advised him to hire Samoans & start building wall to protect property. No mention of any new Kilauea activity

Last edited:

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Kilauea & Mauna Loa are fed by different magma systems. So it is possible that both can erupt at the same time. I can't remember any instance of this without searching. However one vid I came across looking for info on ML was claiming satellite thermal imaging showed that Loihi had very briefly erupted just before ML began erupting. I did not chase down the links & can't find it right now. Eruptions on Hawaii are consistant, they have a fairly well defined/understood pattern of summit inflation coupled with earthquakes at decreasing depths. ML eruption has been forecast for about a month
OOPS - Loihi is now named "Kama'ehuakanaloa.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Next time you visit the Big Island, spend a day or two visiting the far far Northwest of the island, the Kohala Coast. Find an AirBNB near Hawi and explore. It's all rainforest and horse ranches. You absolutely wouldn't believe you're on that same active volcanic island.
Kohala is where I would live part time if I could. An amazing micro zone. Kapuuau is a nice little town. Hard to believe people actually live there.

Same magma system but different ages because the Pacific Plate is continuously moving over the Hawaiian hotspot mantle convection from SE to NW. There is likely some localized compartmentation of the magma during active eruptions, however the hotspot currently under Hawaii (Mauna Loa and Loihi) is an expression of deep rooted mantle convection that has persisted in essentially the same position for millions of years. First graphic shows the ages of the Hawaiian islands and the general set up for those that aren't familiar with the Hawaiian and Emperor seamounts and their genetic relationship to mantle convection.

The second graphic compares tomographic imagery from P-wave (compressional) data for Hawaii and other mantle plumes across the globe, with the reds representing hot, buoyant and viscous mantle. This material slows seismic (sound) wave propagation.

And this is shield volcano, not a nasty stratovolcano. That is, the melt is composed of primarily lots of Fe and Mg bearing minerals with very small percentages of volatiles. Happy to bubble away, make pretty pictures and give plenty of warning before one catches fire. Si, and Al-rich magmas in the presence of water are the most explosive ones, i.e. the Cascadia volcanoes, Pinatubo, the recent Tongan eruption, Vesuvius, Krakatoa. Pyroclastic flows, ash, fire, brimestone, melted glaciers, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. Last figure shows the relative explosivity of each of the eruption styles. Tonga was a plinian eruption on this scale with material reaching 30 km. Ultra Plinian will def get the old eyeballs on the boob tube right before everything goes dark.

1669845001595.png

1669845455336.png

from:https://www.researchgate.net/figure...nder-a_fig2_259441860 [accessed 30 Nov, 2022]

1669846476589.png

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
An apology/correction: there are two eruptions occuring, ML & K. As I spent 15 yrs in Hilo growing up most locals don't really consider the current K action as a 'eruption', as it's contained to the bottom of the caldera & the only change most of the time is the vertical level going up & down with very little visually occurring other than sections of hardened crust occasionally overturning & getting subsumed.
Yes, if one goes deep enuff ML & K are both fed by the same 'hot spot'. But both systems inflate/deflate completely separate from the other, so they branch apart quite quickly deep down

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
we were through Kohala , the people I was with dont sit still well , we saw the black sand beach, green sand beach, went to the beach where the monk seals hangout ( all 8 of them) , dove with the mantas at night , toured the waterfalls in the rainforest north of Hilo , got loaded at the Hilo brewery , all based out of a rental condo in Kilaua-kona , circled the island twice and took the saddle road through the middle. Desert to rainforest in the same 1/2 hr hike.

Back on topic, for those that havent seen a functioning volcano , the slow motion wave of destruction is something to observe.