Mazda Vehicles

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
Looking for a new (or used) SUV to replace a 11-year old GMC. One choice is a Subaru but I'm seeing a lot of good stories about the Mazda CX-5. Major needs are to trailer a dingy and AWD to get through the Midwestern snows.  

Any thoughts from the SA wise people?

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
Have you driven one? I test drove one when they first came out and they seemed under-powered without a trailer. They may have engine options besides the 4cyl, though.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Looking for a new (or used) SUV to replace a 11-year old GMC. One choice is a Subaru but I'm seeing a lot of good stories about the Mazda CX-5. Major needs are to trailer a dingy and AWD to get through the Midwestern snows.  

my bro adores his cx.9. the 5 was way too small 

Frogman56

Anarchist
Sydney
Reports of serious engine management system issues in oz....Car stopping or going into crawl mode with no explanation.

Search John Connollly mazda issues and you will find more.

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan

2 sibs have CX 5, both happy.  Smaller engine (2015?) is not a real hot rod but completely serviceable.  One sib did the Denver to Wisconsin and back drive in the small (2liter?) 14 times the year mom died and reported enviable mpg at 80 mph.

cyclone

Super Anarchist
Maine
Neighbor has had several Mazda SUV’s without complaint. I was forced to replace a totaled ( accordianed at a stop) GTI and I ended up with a 2020 VW Tiguan. It lacks acceleration but otherwise drives well and routinely gets 30+ mpg . The 2.0 l turbo was detuned to run on regular gas. I will be adding a hitch soon. I specifically avoided the notorious sunroof.

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
If Mazda would put a 6 cyl on the CXs I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Wifey needs 3500 lbs to tow her camper but I keep insisting on 5000 lbs so as to not strain the drive train. Even with the turbo they won't pull 5k.

The next best choice for us would be the new Kia Telluride but their so popular you have to be on a waiting list and getting the colors and options you want in one car is nearly impossible.

I suspect all the cars on that Kia ship grounded down in GA are Tellurides.

Last edited by a moderator:

NaClH20

Super ciliary
Have you driven one? I test drove one when they first came out and they seemed under-powered without a trailer. They may have engine options besides the 4cyl, though.
2.5 liter 4 was an option in 2016, in response to complaints about power, now I think is standard.  2016 cx5 gt is my wife’s daily.  My car is too small to tow a trailer of any significance, so hers does the duty.  We have a steel box trailer, and it towed that with the bulk of an ash tree trunk, and did fine.  Uhaul to Boston and back, also no problem.  Barely notices my 12’ dingy and trailer.  

It’s about to hit 100k and no significant issues, no rust even living its entire existence in the northeast.  Only problem was an intermittent and greatly irritating squeak from the right rear suspension.  There was a service bulletin about it, which we told the dealer about.  They insisted on replacing the rear shoulder belt, which of course did nothing.  We brought it back greatly annoyed, and fortunately the owner got involved and told the techs to take the suspension out of a new car on the lot right then.  Fixed it, and none of it cost anything other than having to get to the dealer.

Oh, and tires are $&@/?&ing expensive, but that’s with the 19” rims.  I’d get the 17”, partly for cheaper tires, but mostly because we live in a rural area and the roads suck.

Nice car.  Plenty zippy (again, nearest highway is 45 minutes away so all on rural back roads).  Switch gear feels a little cheaper by touch than what was in my old Toyota, but it all works fine.  It is a little smaller inside than it has a right to be, considering how big it looks on the outside (especially compared to my Subie).  This is a complaint I have with all modern SUVs, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
I have a 2015  CX-5 which I bought because of the manual tranny. 

It has run very well, but is not overly powerful 

I would not want to tow much more than a dinghy with it. 

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Subaru and the Mazda are two different cars. I would feel safer in the Sub as it is heavier and AWD + the gearing is different.

PS the Subaru will cost more up front.

Drive Safe!

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
2.5 liter 4 was an option in 2016, in response to complaints about power, now I think is standard.  2016 cx5 gt is my wife’s daily.  My car is too small to tow a trailer of any significance, so hers does the duty.  We have a steel box trailer, and it towed that with the bulk of an ash tree trunk, and did fine.  Uhaul to Boston and back, also no problem.  Barely notices my 12’ dingy and trailer.  

It’s about to hit 100k and no significant issues, no rust even living its entire existence in the northeast.  Only problem was an intermittent and greatly irritating squeak from the right rear suspension.  There was a service bulletin about it, which we told the dealer about.  They insisted on replacing the rear shoulder belt, which of course did nothing.  We brought it back greatly annoyed, and fortunately the owner got involved and told the techs to take the suspension out of a new car on the lot right then.  Fixed it, and none of it cost anything other than having to get to the dealer.

Oh, and tires are $&@/?&ing expensive, but that’s with the 19” rims.  I’d get the 17”, partly for cheaper tires, but mostly because we live in a rural area and the roads suck.

Nice car.  Plenty zippy (again, nearest highway is 45 minutes away so all on rural back roads).  Switch gear feels a little cheaper by touch than what was in my old Toyota, but it all works fine.  It is a little smaller inside than it has a right to be, considering how big it looks on the outside (especially compared to my Subie).  This is a complaint I have with all modern SUVs, though.
Thanks for the update. My info was really old and out of date. Zoom-Zoom!

Latest posts