Mcmurdo Smartfind S20 questions

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
A skipper I'm planning to sail with recently purchased 10 Mcmurdo Smartfind S20 personal MOB AIS beacons. I had not seen this model before but I figured what the heck, and I volunteered to program them with his MMSI. Well, I just opened one, and apparently there is no way to program it with an MMSI to hail via DSC. All the others of these I have seen require programming so they hail the proper vessel via DSC and I thought that, in the US, this was required. 

The Mcmurdo website does not mention programming, or which countries the device can be used in. 

So, what's the story with these? Do they just send an all vessel hail? Google was not much help, all I found was the same marketing brief from every vendor who sells them. I do see that West Marine no longer carries it and other vendors are out of stock, making me think it's no longer available. 

Last edited by a moderator:

us7070

Super Anarchist
Supposedly, it's against FCC regulations for any of the AIS/DSC personal beacons sold in the USA to make an all ships DSC call.

It can only make a DSC call to the MMSI that gets programmed and a pre-set DSC "Group" - which you also do through the programming interface.

I have never programmed in a group - but i have seen it in the MOB-1 inteface

So, if you can't program the unit with an MMSI, it's not clear what DSC call it can make.

this document from the MOB-1 website explains the functionality available in different countries

https://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/MOB1_DSC_Functionality.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Supposedly, it's against FCC regulations for any of the AIS/DSC personal beacons sold in the USA to make an all ships DSC call.

It can only make a DSC call to the MMSI that gets programmed and a pre-set DSC "Group" - which you also do through the programming interface.

I have never programmed in a group - but i have seen it in the MOB-1 inteface

So, if you can't program the unit with an MMSI, it's not clear what DSC call it can make.

this document from the MOB-1 website explains the functionality available in different countries

https://oceansignal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/MOB1_DSC_Functionality.pdf
Yup this is what I thought as well. The MOB-1 is a great device, but sadly, this is not one of those. I had never seen one of these before and I can't figure out just what it does.