Medical Technology

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
That was one of the most uplifting articles I've read in the NYT in a while.

That paper has really good articles on lots of topics, but lately I've found an awful lot of them, while well written and researched, are depressing.

This one was not!

Saw that on the news sometime this week; amazing new cancer treatment!!   

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
Had another PET scan the other day, some good news and some not so good news. They found no trace of active cancer, but apparently my thyroid and heart have issues related to the cancer and its treatment. Don’t know yet what new treatments are in my future. Can’t catch a break.

Last edited by a moderator:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Had another PET scan the other day, some good news and some not so good news. They found no trace of active cancer, but apparently my thyroid and heart have issues related to the cancer and its treatment. Don’t know yet what new treatments are in my future. Can’t catch a break.
As my oncologist said…..for Myeloma anyway…….there isn’t a cure. In the treatment you’re trading one set of problems for another. For most people the new set of problems is less than those associated with the cancer. But there is no free ride. He was right. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
You're still above ground aintcha? ;)

Not to minimize your situation but I was at the dentist for a crown a few weeks ago and was moaning about the state of my teeth. The assistant said "Look at it this way - they're still all your own."

Perspective is important.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
You're still above ground aintcha? ;)
Good point, but it was close. A rare side effect of the monoclonal antibody treatment I was having is “may cause lung issues”. Put me in the hospital for two weeks, nearly did me in. No fun at all. The good news is I’m feeling pretty good these days. In Kauai at the moment - not too shabby!

A51985EC-4C1A-4333-9180-0BB2DF405D4C.jpeg

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Sorry to hear that. A close friend has the same issues, one step at a time is what I told him. His doctor told him he will see him in a year, and I told him what happens if the cancer comes back a month from now, and you find out you are stage three or greater in a year. Six months seems better, but I'm not a doctor. Good wishes to you Sean, You are one of the good guys.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Above ground, perspective, and attitude…gets us a long way, along with advances in medical science. 
A good (positive) attitude is one of the best medicines there is.... are.... Whatever. And a sense of humor always puts surgeons, and neurologists off guard, which s a good thing.... Keep them on their toes.

I was getting a lumbar puncture one day, (Spinal tap).... And the Neurologist was giving me the once over before spiking me.... As he was looking in my eyes with his opthoscope (or whatever it's called) I said that I had cataracts in both eyes. He said "I see that." I said , Really? I don't.

He walked out of the room. About 30 seconds later, he walked back in and said: "I get it! That was funny. You can't see them! Ha! Good one!". Then he walked back out again.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
My ortho guy (who I’ve had for 30 years) is pretty funny, same for my dermatologist. My cardiologist (who I’ve also had for around 30 years) is frigging hilarious. My nephrologist is nice but not funny. My infectious disease doc is quite odd, not funny. My pulmonologist is old, gruff and crabby……but good. My GP is coasting since everybody else is handling the tough stuff. I never see him, just his NP. She is really good.  My oncologist is really caring and listens carefully and answers all my questions without treating me like a 10 year old. He is not funny but I really am lucky to have him on my side. I think that covers everyone. Might need a vascular guy downstream…..we’ll see.

All in all they’re a really good group. I still play 18 holes 2-3 times a week. Swim 1200 yards 2-3 times a week. Play pickleball twice a week. Shoot archery twice a week 100+ arrows each time. Toss in a few bike rides, work in the garden, and Mrs PB’s honey-do’s and I’m busy and active every waking moment. Not without owies and a few problems but I’m lucky those guys are keeping me going. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
My GP is a great guy. His office/UF Health staff all suck major moose cock.

(If you live in Florida, and have any options other than UF Health [I don't have any options], take the options. UF Health sucks)

My proctologist, in particular, is an asshole.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
I treat my docs like friends for the most part, and probably because I knew most of them/or they knew about me, during my career at a healthcare system.

And I enjoy asking questions and learning about what they’re doing in as many details as possible. I did ask jokingly prior to a minor procedure what was worse, my heart attack and procedures or my brain bleed. They assured me I should stay away from any more brain bleeds. Check! That was frightening…I have a dent in my head as a surgical souvenir.

I’m the person that enjoys being conversant during cardiac caths (had a few) so I can watch…absolutely fascinating! Those drugs just don’t slow my brain down, and I just keep talking, so I assured them that I’m a cheap drunk, but drugs do nothing for me.  I hope I’m done with surgery, nothing since 2013, but I’ve had my share.  I spent several years as a speaker for the American Heart Association, including grassroots lobbying, and my medical adventures provided a lot of talking points. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My ortho guy (who I’ve had for 30 years) is pretty funny, same for my dermatologist. My cardiologist (who I’ve also had for around 30 years) is frigging hilarious. My nephrologist is nice but not funny. My infectious disease doc is quite odd, not funny. My pulmonologist is old, gruff and crabby……but good. My GP is coasting since everybody else is handling the tough stuff. I never see him, just his NP. She is really good.  My oncologist is really caring and listens carefully and answers all my questions without treating me like a 10 year old. He is not funny but I really am lucky to have him on my side. I think that covers everyone. Might need a vascular guy downstream…..we’ll see.

All in all they’re a really good group. I still play 18 holes 2-3 times a week. Swim 1200 yards 2-3 times a week. Play pickleball twice a week. Shoot archery twice a week 100+ arrows each time. Toss in a few bike rides, work in the garden, and Mrs PB’s honey-do’s and I’m busy and active every waking moment. Not without owies and a few problems but I’m lucky those guys are keeping me going. 
Quit hitting balls with sticks and get on that fuckin' book. :angry:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
My GP is a great guy. His office/UF Health staff all suck major moose cock.

(If you live in Florida, and have any options other than UF Health [I don't have any options], take the options. UF Health sucks)

My proctologist, in particular, is an asshole.
I see what you did there.

Latest posts