Meet Gary Jobson In Seattle - Youth Sailing Fundraiser

Vang Tang

Anarchist
Come to SYC on October 20th for an evening with Gary Jobson as he shares insight, media and more from this America's Cup and beyond. This fundraiser event benefits youth sailing throughout the PNW, so come get your "Jobo" on, see some great stuff, ask some questions and support those little luffers.

sa_poster.jpg

Gary Jobson, I put him in the same category as Scot Tempesta, DOUCHE BAG user who will get what they can to further their agenda. Scot should feel in good company.

When Gary was heading USS, i had the opportunity to email chat with him about West Coast Disabled Sailing. I asked for his help, after explaining what I thought was needed, he handed me to one of the members of the "Board of Destructors" I mean "Board of Directors".

I personally felt that our (Disabled Sailing) situtation out here needed Gary's personal help and contacts. Gary would not answer any of my questions directly or with candor. He just washed his hands of it.

I feel completely abandoned and rejected by Gary and USS. Which is why I have not renewed my membership this year, which for me ended in July.

ssi

Dawg, be a good bitch, when you say you leave, LEAVE. You are just embarrassing yourself now.

left hook

Super Anarchist
If Gary personally handled every issue with sailing in the states he would literally be swamped until the end of time. Part of leadership is delegation and it's the reason that organizations like US Sailing has people who things can be delegated too.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimFordi550#87

Tim Fordi550-#87
FFS, Dawg.

I mean seriously. The guy has raised more money for The L&L Society than practically anyone else on the planet, EVEN WHILE AFFLICTED, HIMSELF.

Oh I get it, anyone with any celebrity needs to get on board every charity on earth or else they are a douchebag.

Good luck with that.

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
Remind me again that huge list of accomplishments GJ did as President of USSA? Don't worry about it taking too much space, just go ahead and list them all -

us7070

Super Anarchist
Remind me again that huge list of accomplishments GJ did as President of USSA? Don't worry about it taking too much space, just go ahead and list them all -
I don't really see sailing as a top-down kind of sport...

I'm not really looking for much in the way of "accomplishments" from US Sailing.

If you want something done..., do it yourself.

If you want something to change, start changing it on a local level, with the help of your local sailors.

Vang Tang

Anarchist
In my encounters with Gary, he's always been gracious and helpful. Anytime I can be around someone with as much sailing experience and perspective as he, I consider myself lucky, especially when they are donating their time to youth. I hope that, in my time on this side of the dirt, I can accomplish even 1 of the things listed below..... well, except for the Etchells....I prefer hulls that plane or foil sooner.

Gary Jobson is a decorated sailor, television commentator, sailing lecturer, and author based in Annapolis, Maryland. He has recorded many achievements in his sailing career, having won multiple championships in one-design classes, the America's Cup with Ted Turner in 1977, the Fastnet Race, and many of the world's ocean races. Jobson is also an active cruising sailor, having led expeditions to the Arctic, Antarctica, and Cape Horn.

In October 2003, Jobson was inducted into the America's Cup Hall of Fame by the Herreshoff Marine Museum. In 1999, Jobson won the Nathanael Herreshoff Trophy, US Sailing's most prestigious award. Jobson is also the National Regatta Chairman of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's sailing program, having survived Lymphoma himself.

Jobson has authored 15 books on sailing, and is Editor at Large of Sailing World and Cruising World magazines. In addition to his print work he has been ESPN's sailing commentator since 1985.[2] He won an Ace Award for Cable Excellence for his coverage of the 1987 America's Cup. In 1988, Jobson won an Emmy for his production of sailing at the Olympic Games in South Korea and also won an Emmy for the 2006 Volvo Ocean Race on PBS.

In college, Jobson was named an All-American sailor three times and was twice named College Sailor of the Year (1972, 1973). He graduated with his bachelor's degree and Third Mate's License (Unlimited Tonnage) from the State University of New York Maritime College in 1973. He began his career as a sailing coach at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and the U.S. Naval Academy.

Jobson currently races an Etchells, owns a Sabre 402, Whirlwind and has a partnership in a NYYC Swan 42, Mustang.

Varan

Super Anarchist
This should be an old fuckers fundraiser. How many youth know of GJ? $50 per person. Don't suspect there will many youth in attendance, except those few dragged in by daddy. Who is this really benefitting?

Yea, Yea, Yea.

I suspect my affiliation with this site had something to do with his rejections.

But I asked for his help.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO.

You guys are like a bunch of liberal haters that want everyone to shut up.

I only asked for his help.

God Damn USA and the USS are a fucking pile of shit.

I spend more of my own money every day to go to the bathroom than you spend in gas getting going to work.

FUCK ALL OF YOU

PS, here is an email engagement I had with USS. I have yet to read the last answer.

Start at the bottom and read up.

Pat and Betsy, Why does any Disabled Person have to pay an extra fee besides their US Sailing Dues to Race in the US Sailing Disabled Championships?

My friend and former co-worker Dave Klatt, just went to the Mallory Cup and won. Neither he or his crew had to pay extra fees to race in the Championship level.

If the Sponsors of US Sailing cannot open their pocket books and help the few at the bottom of the barrel then USS needs new sponsors.

This is one of the may reasons I have not renewed my membership in USS.

Thanks
Dave Trude
805-46--3520
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 9/19/2013 11:43 AM, Pat Sheehan wrote:
Dave,

Please see the explanation below from Betsy Alison explaining the four cycle regarding classification.

Although not specifically addressed in the response, there are both a national and international classifications.

Pat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:13 AM
To: Pat Sheehan
Subject: Re: FW: US Sailing Disabled Championship Classification Fees - last year Oct 2012

Pat:

The conditions of the US Disabled Championships is that every sailor needs to hold a CURRENT IFDS classification rating. That being said, it does not say that it needs to be National or International, though perhaps that needs to be better defined in future NORs. "Current" refers to the 4 year Olympic quadrennium cycle, which we are now in: 2013-16. That said, sailors that were classified at the end of the last quad during the US Disabled Championships in San Diego were told that their US classification rating from that event would be valid for the 2013-16 quad since it was so close to the end of the prior cycle.

It is Dave's choice as to whether or not to pay the fee, but he will subsequently be unable to participate in ANY sailing championship in the USA through this quad that requires a classification rating in order to be eligible. It is just how the rules are written both Internationally and Nationally at this juncture.

Unfortunately, current procedures do not allow sailors to use IFDS classification ratings from prior quads to determine eligibility. They would allow a sailor to be classified as a "review" case rather than undergo a full classification exam.

Betsy

--

Betsy Alison
Paralympic Coach
(401) 497-2550

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:22 PM
To: Pat Sheehan
Subject: Re: US Sailing Disabled Championship Classification Fees - last year Oct 2012

I sailed in the 2.4mR class and paid my fees to the best of my knowledge.
I am a T-11 permanent Paraplegic.
I have been rated twice in the past by IFDS and have a 2008 passport.
Seeing as nothing has changed with my condition I am not sure why I was even looked at.
To the best of my knowledge, IFDS is responsible for Disabled Sailor Classifications.

I was told I will not get a new IFDS Passport for the next Quad because of this USS Classification.
Because Disabled Sailing at the Paralympic Level is nonexistent on the West Coast, I see no reason to hold a Current IFDS Passport

Thanks
Code:
Dave T
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 9/11/2013 1:30 PM, Pat Sheehan wrote:

To: Sailors classified at the US Sailing Championship in San Diego, October 2012

From: Pat Sheehan, Race Administration Office at US Sailing

Dear Sailors,

Following the Championship last fall, when you were classified for the upcoming quad, the office was provided with charging information for the classification fee. It has come to my attention that the charges were not processed although you are recorded as “fee paid” on the Master Classification List. Your credit card information was not kept.

Please pay your fee by the end of this month online with the Regatta Network US Sailing Fee Payment Form

The Master Classification List will be updated the first of October and will reflect whether you are paid or not at that time.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Pat
Pat Sheehan

Race Administration Director

US Sailing

[email protected]
Phone: (401) 683-0800
Fax: (401) 683-0840
Post Office Box 1260

15 Maritime Drive
Portsmouth, RI 02871

www.ussailing.org

redboat

Super Anarchist
This should be an old fuckers fundraiser. How many youth know of GJ? $50 per person. Don't suspect there will many youth in attendance, except those few dragged in by daddy. Who is this really benefitting?
As an official old fucker, I have watched decades of Jobson's fund raising and promotion of sailing only as a vehicle for self promotion. Got to give him credit for success in parlaying a few sailing accomplishments into a successful career.

There are many better sailors and many better commentatators but few who have cashed in on his personal brand as skillfully as he has..

Silverbullet

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Does GJ get a fee for this, or is he donating his time for the benefactors of this fundraising effort, you know...the next generation of sailors??

Pretty mind boggling that with all the assholes involved with sailing people would choose to criticize Gary Jobson the occasion of a youth fundraiser he's involved with . He was bringing sailing to the masses on television before there was an Internet, SA, Oracle, etc and it was never especially lucrative. And I don't mind him explaining very basic sailing terms on tv because I know most of the folks watching have no idea. Read did the same. He's done countless charitable efforts and is well accomplished and in general is just a nice guy. And he needs to make a living just like most of us do. He's left a very positive contribution for others to sailing in general in his lifetime. I guess some may think its cool to use and sit in the moral high ground of a wheelchair and shit on him because he is 'establishment'. But you could find better targets in my opinion. Perfect? No. But are you?

I have a lot of respect Dawg, for you and the way you have faced your considerable challenges in life. You are inspirational. And your former employers are douchebags. But this Dawg dosnt hunt.

Vang Tang

Anarchist
This is tomorrow. Kids are FREE with adult entry. Come support a great cause and see some highlights from the most epic cup in history!

Come to SYC on October 20th for an evening with Gary Jobson as he shares insight, media and more from this America's Cup and beyond. This fundraiser event benefits youth sailing throughout the PNW, so come get your "Jobo" on, see some great stuff, ask some questions and support those little luffers.

sa_poster.jpg

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I met him in 84 at the SORC in St. Pete when he tried to bring some hawt tarts aboard the boat I was BN on in spiked heels. That, and his self-promotion aside, his accomplishments speak for themselves, and he has done lots of good things for the sport and this event is for a good cause, so I will give him a pass......

Matt B

Super Anarchist
As an official old fucker, I have watched decades of Jobson's fund raising and promotion of sailing only as a vehicle for self promotion. Got to give him credit for success in parlaying a few sailing accomplishments into a successful career.

There are many better sailors and many better commentatators but few who have cashed in on his personal brand as skillfully as he has..
So he's kind of like Madonna?

So he's kind of like Madonna?
Exactly! But his tits and vagina are better looking!

Latest posts