Mega-yacht Sues Courageous Sailing Center for Youth?

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Hopefully he wins $1000 and spends $100K painting it. Then we give a kid a $100 boat and suggest they go “look at that pretty boat over there”

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
I agree. His information and views on Ukraine are laughable and irrelevant...but he actually knows a good deal about offshore sailing and systems. Ignore his weak spot, he drinks kool-aid manufactured in Russia...but the rest is okay.
Uh…no. That’s sort of like saying “trumps tax policy was fine, so let’s ignore the rest”. Comrade Zitface doesn’t know anything special about boats that can’t be found elsewhere.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Uh…no. That’s sort of like saying “trumps tax policy was fine, so let’s ignore the rest”. Comrade Zitface doesn’t know anything special about boats that can’t be found elsewhere.
If postings on Sailing Anarchy and presidential tax policy are sort of like anything similar in your mind, then you really need to get a life outside these forums.
Freedom of speech means that, in America, anyone can take a contrary position to yours. They can publicly support Russia invasion of Ukraine despite Russia's immoral motives .....and we cam disagree but respect their right to say that......because Ukraine is fighting so that its citizens have the same right of free speech.

fufkin

Super Anarchist
If postings on Sailing Anarchy and presidential tax policy are sort of like anything similar in your mind, then you really need to get a life outside these forums.
Freedom of speech means that, in America, anyone can take a contrary position to yours. They can publicly support Russia invasion of Ukraine despite Russia's immoral motives .....and we cam disagree but respect their right to say that......because Ukraine is fighting so that its citizens have the same right of free speech.
Disinformation, malinformation and propaganda can in certain instances be gateways to hate speech, libel and slander, none of which enjoy protection under the guise of free speech.

Communities both large and small have a way of self policing what is acceptable and what is not.

If someone here wants to call someone out on supporting the false narrative of the de Nazification of Ukraine, while I might have chosen different words, I’m ok with it.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Sure, Slug Zitprick can say whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to give him one ounce of respect, and I'd question his judgment about everything.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Sure, Slug Zitprick can say whatever he wants. Doesn't mean I have to give him one ounce of respect, and I'd question his judgment about everything.
Of course. Freedom of speech certainly doesn't mean you have to grant respect.

I disagree vehemently but respectfully with the political views of my pool guy and my sister. Over the years I have learnt to 100% trust the judgement of my guy on pools. He really knows his stuff. My sister's Turkey stuffing is second to none and she is an outstanding and brave physician. I would not question her judgment on a medical diagnosis or a turkey stuffing.

The lead scientists and engineers behind the Saturn and Apollo programs were on the wrong side of the greatest ideological divide of the last 100 years. I would have a very hard time understanding how someone could have worked on a missile program for a Nazi regime, designing missiles that were solely used to hit civilian targets. And yet, wiser heads than mine prevailed and those same Nazis became US citizens and got us to the moon.

I have learnt that just because someone is dead wrong on one thing, doesn't mean they are dead wrong on everything.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Of course. Freedom of speech certainly doesn't mean you have to grant respect.

I disagree vehemently but respectfully with the political views of my pool guy and my sister. Over the years I have learnt to 100% trust the judgement of my guy on pools. He really knows his stuff. My sister's Turkey stuffing is second to none and she is an outstanding and brave physician. I would not question her judgment on a medical diagnosis or a turkey stuffing.

The lead scientists and engineers behind the Saturn and Apollo programs were on the wrong side of the greatest ideological divide of the last 100 years. I would have a very hard time understanding how someone could have worked on a missile program for a Nazi regime, designing missiles that were solely used to hit civilian targets. And yet, wiser heads than mine prevailed and those same Nazis became US citizens and got us to the moon.

I have learnt that just because someone is dead wrong on one thing, doesn't mean they are dead wrong on everything.
The fact that the US used Nazis is a sign of moral bankruptcy

this describes Americas entire Ukraine fiasco

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Disinformation, misinformation and propaganda can in certain instances be gateways
They can certainly be discouraged. The best push back is highlighting the false information and supplying correct information.
Deliberate misinformation can in certain situations be illegal.
Propaganda goes with the territory when 2 nations are at war. We are all grown ups. I think we all know that Russia is putting out propaganda, Ukraine is putting out propaganda and NATO is putting out propaganda.

Russian propaganda is sillier than ours. Slug is drinking from the fountain of Russian propaganda so he sounds sillier than everyone else on the Ukraine thread...but its all relative.
I dont go to the Council on Foreign Relations website for opinions on upwind sail trim. Simarily their members dont come to Sailing Anarchy for insight on the Ukraine war.

to hate speech, libel and slander, none of which enjoy protection under the guise of free speech.
Correct. All three are illegal. Rightly so. AFAIK, Slug has come close but Ive not seen him cross the line. He has accused certain Jews of being Nazis but he has not come out and said All Jews are Nazis. The odor of antisemitism is clearly there and we should continue to call him out on it. I suspect he is just a mirror of Putin's dislike of Jews. But I dont think he has boken the law. Ultimately he just sounds so silly and lacking in any and all historical context.

Communities both large and small have a way of self policing what is acceptable and what is not.

If someone here wants to call someone out on supporting the false narrative of the de Nazification of Ukraine, while I might have chosen different words, I’m ok with it.
Here is how I sum up Slug:

He is a man of little influence trying to influence the uninfluenceable.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
The fact that the US used Nazis is a sign of moral bankruptcy

this describes Americas entire Ukraine fiasco

So you agree with the conclusions:

1. John Pilger was not surprised that Russia went into Ukraine. The Donbas is a "hot topic" for them
2. He wants to be clear, he understands Russian motives, he does not condone them ....and in particular he does not condone the invasion.
. Russia made a mistake going into Ukraine and it will not end well for Russia,

or did you like the title and not bother listening?

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
So you agree with the conclusions:

1. John Pilger was not surprised that Russia went into Ukraine. The Donbas is a "hot topic" for them
2. He wants to be clear, he understands Russian motives, he does not condone them ....and in particular he does not condone the invasion.
. Russia made a mistake going into Ukraine and it will not end well for Russia,

or did you like the title and not bother listening?
That 'Journalist' has been an anti-western, anti Australian, anti US and pro communist properganderist for most of his working life.
No value can be placed on any opinions he expresses unless that is also 'your' (in the generic sense, not directed at Eyesailor) outlook on life too.