Melbourne Big Boat Fleet

dbo

I have a bet with a mate re what's gunna happen down south. Can anyone update me as to the goss on what's happening in the 45ft plus fleet in Melbourne? Sounds like it is most of the owners are either getting out or wanting to get out. Have any of the boats such as XLR8, The Doll or Flirt sold? What are these guys going to do next and are any new boats arriving?

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
I have a bet with a mate re what's gunna happen down south. Can anyone update me as to the goss on what's happening in the 45ft plus fleet in Melbourne? Sounds like it is most of the owners are either getting out or wanting to get out. Have any of the boats such as XLR8, The Doll or Flirt sold? What are these guys going to do next and are any new boats arriving?
Its really quite simple, having heard that I was moving to Melbourne, the guys all got together and said "lets sell our boats, that way we won't have to take Tuck for a sail".

theParadoxOfThrift

Super Anarchist
Mos-Vegas
I have been sailing regularly on Flirt. The boat has been sold and will be coming to Sydney for the Gold Coast race - the plan is that it will still be doing the East Coast programme. Flirt will be replaced, but to dispell some pretty amusing rumours - as of right now nothing is set in stone.

I can add to the rumour mill by mentioning that Bright Star - the TP52 from New York - has been sold to a Sydney owner and is on its way shortly. We heard this from the vendor.

dbo

OK, so we have solved the Flirt issue. What are they doing next?

So what's happening to XLR8?

Is Aero/QR coming back soon?

Is the Doll really for sale?

Is Georgia (Farr 53) coming or not?

Is there another Rogers 46 coming (apparently there is)?

Are any of the above linked with a TP52 which is supposedly on the way?

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
The Paradox of Thrift gave the full story on Flirt at this stage. Its sold, it will be replaced, but they are not yet sure what with. I believe they are actively shopping and looking for the "right" boat. By the sounds of yet they have not yet settled on a direction.

The only TP52 I've heard of at this stage is definately going to Sydney.

Doh !

OK, so we have solved the Flirt issue. What are they doing next?
So what's happening to XLR8?

Is Aero/QR coming back soon?

Is the Doll really for sale?

Is Georgia (Farr 53) coming or not?

Is there another Rogers 46 coming (apparently there is)?

Are any of the above linked with a TP52 which is supposedly on the way?
highly unlikely Aero ever coming back.

Possibility that another Rogers 46 may go to Royals. S-38 owner (that narrows it down a bit !)

more rumours from this side of the country is that former ninety seven (farr 47) owner is looking at the doll to bring over west, and another west aussie to buy a 53 footer for an east coast campaign (pretty sure it wasn't georgia tho, and currently in court over contractual issues so probably on hold for now)...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flatbag

Super Anarchist
Another season just about done and many are for sale, it's just that no one down here seems to know how to sell 'em. Tough when they all hit the market together and there are only so many $$$ to go round on the local pond...

CD could do worse than to move into DCLR8 and do the mods that Geoff Boettcher has done to get HSMB going so much quicker. With a new rig and some Q gear, he would have to save an absolute shitload on a new R/P build. Then GT can do his mini-maxiboat campaign. :eek:

L/Doll is having a bit of a tidy up right now so who knows whats going on with that one. Syd 47CR Gomez is up in the SYC yard ; is there movement at the station now there's a wedding to pay for?? Jazz Player now back in the piss after a tidy up so will be interesting to see her perform out of RMYS. 97 back on the Bay recently and just took line honours in the Easter Port Fairy race against sfa. Not blue anymore, pity about that.

Yet another Syd 38 on its way south for ex Bull 9000 guys and their website says the highly succesful Bullet is off to Willy. Is that 6 or 7 38's at SYC now?. One Mumm 30 in to SYC ex Syd, (ex Kato), one Mumm 30 out to Pivot City. On the AWB front, another new shrink wrapped Benny 36.7 in the SYC yard this week; yaaaawwwn!

Stay tuned for further developments on these and other exciting projects.

Anyone else heard anything of note??

Last edited by a moderator: