Melges 15

bsavery

how hard does one have to hike a M15? how comfortable is hiking on her? do people wear hiking pants?
This is very subjective and wind and weight dependent but I’d say a moderate amount. Hiking is very comfortable imo. It’s not a laser torture device but if you’re hoping to not have to hike you’re gonna have a bad time. 

Hiking pants help on a moderate or above wind 

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Thanks, that's helpful.  I am in Broward, thinking about getting a boat.  I'm 185lbs and wife is 105 though, so I guess we gotta be ready to hike hard in the typical moderate to windy Fall/Winter/Spring South Florida conditions... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Thanks, that's helpful.  I am in Broward, thinking about getting a boat.  I'm 185lbs and wife is 105 though, so I guess we gotta be ready to hike hard in the typical moderate to windy Fall/Winter/Spring South Florida conditions... 
Let your wife steer and you hike your ass off! It is likely faster to have the weight up front anyway. Plus she gets to yell at you with full authority to do so!

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Haha, not gonna happen.  But I see in the class rules that we can sail w/ 3.  so maybe we will have to grab our 60lb 7-year old for heavy air regattas... 

jbfraser

Minnesota
Two-part aluminium sounds interesting ... if anybody ever finds / can take a picture, please share.

I measured 70mm x 59mm profile so yes, Cumulus or Alto. Joint is just above the spreaders, 9' 9 1/4" from the base of the step. Taper starts at 15'3" from base, at the spinnaker halyard. Total length: 21' top of fitting to base of step.

Mast is in my basement right now, so if there's something else you're looking for, let me know.

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

nw60312

IMG_1170.jpeg IMG_1169.jpeg IMG_1167.jpeg

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
This boat is taking off in the S.E.  We're seeing 15+ on the line at events.  I'm looking forward to the chance of sailing one.  They look sweet and visually I can't find one thing wrong with them.  Seem to be well sorted and no one is batting an eye at the price, (which when you compare it to a new VXOne at the $50k mark seems like a screaming deal).

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
This boat is taking off in the S.E.  We're seeing 15+ on the line at events.  I'm looking forward to the chance of sailing one.  They look sweet and visually I can't find one thing wrong with them.  Seem to be well sorted and no one is batting an eye at the price, (which when you compare it to a new VXOne at the $50k mark seems like a screaming deal).
VX/One's new are $34,900 USD.

Odd comparison. Not even remotely in the same league. VX One is 10 times the boat.

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Actually, that converts to $41,429.00 US.  Still a bit less than $50k.  True too it's a different level from the M15.  I'm in love with the VX I crew on, but if someone wants to race in a sporty asym class the M15 offers an easier entry on the wallet and crew needs.
Incorrect again.  The cost is £28,329.17 (ex VAT), converts to $34,900USD.

And if you think they compare to each other I cannot help you.

Fretz

Anarchist
the M15 shouldn't compare to anything.  It is remarkable in that its not extreme nor complicated and that seems to resonate with a lot of people.   What clubs and existing classes need to do is consider if a boat like the M15 will keep more sailors in the game. 

If a VX1/J70/E scow/M24 etc etc requires a certain capital investment upfront and annual carrying cost that exceeds what the average sailor can afford dont we have a responsibility to have an accessible option?  Most sailors take a break while they start their career and family before reaching comfort level financially that supports the real cost of sailing.   Were hoping that the M15 lessons the attrition rate from Jr sailing to college to adult sailing.   Time will tell.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Incorrect again.  The cost is £28,329.17 (ex VAT), converts to $34,900USD.

And if you think they compare to each other I cannot help you.
I think its pretty fair to say that they are in the same general category of boats according to most sailors.  Small trailered sport boats for 2-3 people.  They appear at many of the same regattas, and are both far more affordable than many slightly bigger sport boats.

Latest posts