Melges 24 rules update

Marco

There were numerous rule changes proposed in the document titled: "Melges 24: A Vision for 2014 and Beyond"

Among these are:

• Mandated shorter stanchions
  • recommend eliminating the weight limit altogether, while imposing certain reasonable conditions
  • for those who wish, switch the traveller to an optional mainsheet bridle system
Can anyone say which of these were passed and when they will be enforced?

Fireball

Anarchist
Ryley said:
wow, about 6 weeks to the worlds and there are 31 entries. any idea how many are expected?
At this late stage, wouldn't that be the final number? You have to ship your boat to Australia, so the boats would already be on their way.

overdraft

Anarchist
so from the AGM we discover:

Bowsprit Launch Line Cleat

CURRENT RULE:

H.2 - ON COCKPIT BULKHEAD - To port, fairlead with cleat behind for bowsprite launch line

NEW RULE:

H.2 - ON COCKPIT BULKHEAD - To port, fairlead with 1 or 2 cleats behind for bowsprite launch line.

that the bowsprite (i think that's a tiny elf-like creature who lives on the bow) launch line is on the port bulkhead... port? really? not on my boat...

overdraft

Anarchist
also, here's another fun fact... we have to have shortened stanchions by January 1st... AGM says:

Federico Michetti drew the meetings attention to the detail in the Builder's Report highlighting that a low cost retrofit kit IS available for those who do not wish to purchase a new set of stanchions. (emphasis added)

however according to the email i got from andy burdick yesterday when i asked about the kit...

"We will have the kits in at the end of this month. Sorry for any delay."

Savage 17

Super Anarchist
There were numerous rule changes proposed in the document titled: "Melges 24: A Vision for 2014 and Beyond"

Among these are:

• Mandated shorter stanchions
  • recommend eliminating the weight limit altogether, while imposing certain reasonable conditions
  • for those who wish, switch the traveller to an optional mainsheet bridle system
Can anyone say which of these were passed and when they will be enforced?
Old news

forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=151262

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Ryley said:
wow, about 6 weeks to the worlds and there are 31 entries. any idea how many are expected?
Not a lot! But given the M24 just started up in Oz about 5 years ago, not terrible either. I am jealous of everyone...what a place for a Worlds.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
so from the AGM we discover:

Bowsprit Launch Line Cleat

CURRENT RULE:

H.2 - ON COCKPIT BULKHEAD - To port, fairlead with cleat behind for bowsprite launch line

NEW RULE:

H.2 - ON COCKPIT BULKHEAD - To port, fairlead with 1 or 2 cleats behind for bowsprite launch line.

that the bowsprite (i think that's a tiny elf-like creature who lives on the bow) launch line is on the port bulkhead... port? really? not on my boat...
Aside from a few typos and errors, that is quite an interesting and optimistic report from the AGM. I like the direction the Class is going and hope to get back in the class soon. Best race boat ever.

Essex

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
OK so 4 new stanchions @ $195 each, or just cut about 10cm off and epoxy on new caps @ $39 a piece.

I figure I'll be also be applying for phrf rating mod based on 'reduced righting moment', anyone else trying that ?

Irish River

Super Anarchist
BC
OK so 4 new stanchions @ $195 each, or just cut about 10cm off and epoxy on new caps @ $39 a piece.

I figure I'll be also be applying for phrf rating mod based on 'reduced righting moment', anyone else trying that ?
Read the rules carefully before doing any mods. there are only 3 approved methods.

overdraft

Anarchist
where are we supposed to find all this information... the class rules haven't been updated... i found out about this because suddenly everyone else at the club was making arrangements to get their stanchions cut... i eventually tripped over the minutes mentioned earlier in this thread, but there's nothing about approved methods, etc...

overdraft

Anarchist
Thanks Shaytoon!

So at our club we've all cut our shit up and now i notice that this isn't actually going to happen unless it's approved by ISAF... i get that it's going to get approved, but I'd laugh my bag off if it didn't... The roll out would make more sense if they set had a date for after all the approvals were in place! We're instructed to live and die by the rulebook and then they expect us to take drastic action based on an internet posting that isn't included in the current rule book!

Last edited by a moderator:

bgulari

Super Anarchist
Be thankful that it happened is my recommendation, I have been begging for this for a year plus. I sailed with short stanchions last year at KWRW and my crew loved it. Finally it went through, give it a go your crew will thank you for it I promise.

Bora

jokerx9

NY
Not sure I understand or agree with this. Yes, shorter stantions make hiking easier on crew, but now you have 850 plus boats that need to change their set up. I also dont see how this will be any less physical. Of course, the more money you spend, the easier it is. (Having someone else do the work) Or less money and do it yourself, which doesnt seem to be all that easy. The problem doesnt seem to be the stantions, the problem seems to be the lifeline setup. Ever since they converted to the new lifeline, hiking on a melges 24 has become an issue. Why not changes the rules on hiking, making it less physical to hike or go back to the old lifelines, which only really allows you to hike to a certain point. Either way, I think its going to be hard to get 850 plus boats to make the change quickly.

GLAZE

Rockwall, TX
Dropping the lifeline height makes a huge difference in hiking style. Look at the pic from KWRW and how Bora's team are positioned on the lower lifeline. The crew that is by the stanchions no longer have to get up off the deck just get on the lifeline to hike. It is now at a lower postion allowing them to remain on the deck while effectively hiking.

I also think allowing the line to have the 10cm of slack is important. Our team has been doing some J70 racing this past season. They have low stanchions, but require you to keep the line tight. The tight lines kept my crew from hiking in the breeze. They sometime begin to fall back in the cockpit.

Regarding the unlimited weight. I don't think it's necessary for the M24. The 24 has a relatively wide, powerful hull. You can get on the widest part and keep it flat I hear comparisons to the J70. The J70 is such narrow boat, you need all the weight you can just to keep it flat going upwind in any breeze. And don't get me started on how bad the hull shape is.

bgulari

Super Anarchist
Not sure I understand or agree with this. Yes, shorter stantions make hiking easier on crew, but now you have 850 plus boats that need to change their set up. I also dont see how this will be any less physical. Of course, the more money you spend, the easier it is. (Having someone else do the work) Or less money and do it yourself, which doesnt seem to be all that easy. The problem doesnt seem to be the stantions, the problem seems to be the lifeline setup. Ever since they converted to the new lifeline, hiking on a melges 24 has become an issue. Why not changes the rules on hiking, making it less physical to hike or go back to the old lifelines, which only really allows you to hike to a certain point. Either way, I think its going to be hard to get 850 plus boats to make the change quickly.
Many people were going away from the Melges 24 due to what was deemed extreme hiking. This is the solution, the original stanchion height was choosing because of the ORR regulation at that time. Maybe I am wrong but paying $130 for the ability of the guys just out there having a good time to be comfy and hike as hard as the "pros" seems like a good trade off.

Other bonuses is that the hull deck joint takes much less abuse since the stanchions can't impart as much torque. The boat also just looks a ton better.

It makes no difference in righting moment it probably increases it as people can hike harder more comfortably, and you don't have to change unless you are going to a national level class event. Not like the melges guys are going to sick the NSA on you at your local PHRF beer can race.

Bora

jokerx9

NY
Im just not sure they should have ever went to the new style lifelines. Ever since then, all I have heard is "hiking" as a negative term when it comes to a melges 24. True it allows you to hike the boat better, but at the pain and expense of your crew, which now has lead to this situation.

bgulari

Super Anarchist
Im just not sure they should have ever went to the new style lifelines. Ever since then, all I have heard is "hiking" as a negative term when it comes to a melges 24. True it allows you to hike the boat better, but at the pain and expense of your crew, which now has lead to this situation.
So the did the best thing they could to fix it, why are you complaining?

Latest posts