Melges 32 Worlds - who is going to win?

4. NUMBER & SCHEDULE OF RACES

RACE(s) DAY & DATE TIME OF FIRST WARNING SIGNAL

4.1 Practice Tuesday – Sept. 21 1300 Hours

4.2 Championship Wednesday‐Saturday – Sept. 22‐25 1200 Hours

It is the intent of the Race Committee to conduct as many races as practical on each scheduled day of

racing, up to a maximum of three races per day and ten races for the Series. No Warning Signal will be

made after 1430 on the last scheduled day of racing.

My bad - I'll crawl back into my hole (sorry)

Back to the regularly scheduled 'who's paid who's not who's pro who's not' program.

GOSSIP: Why did team Star skip the final race of BBS? Anyone know why Kostecki isn't on their boat?

WEATHER: What are weather predictions?

COVERAGE: Where do we tune for the best coverage of the event? The Sailgroove video from St. Frantics observation deck was so lame, it was painful. They got about 3 minutes of my time total and even that was hard to bear. I hope that's not the best we get for the Worlds.

What about SA? Dixie wrote some nice articles but I was left wishing for more. Isn't the Surf City dude the West Coast OTW chief, and will he be there? If not, is Dixie going to step up the coverage somehow?

CPJIII

In the past they had trackers on the boats (other regattas) and that was a cool way to follow the races. Did not see it on the web site (unless I am missing it).

RCH

Redneck, USA
As someone who is here, it is so funny reading the abusive postings.(Ease up) Cheer on your team of choice and don't be a hater.

BBS had crazy courses which were not in the same place as the worlds (Half of each day was three miles away from the worlds course - HUGE difference in SF). Half were on the circle.

A lot of boats were trying new set-ups, different crews and wasn't on their A game. Look for the players to emerge.

On a different note, Full Throttle, Star and Red were consistent and fast. B-Lin has a high mode upwind that nobody has. (awesome driving, great set-up)

Windy practice race today. The real show starts tomorrow.

Flame on.

PS - Star pulled out of the last race when they were in the four, five spot.

As someone who is here, it is so funny reading the abusive postings.(Ease up) Cheer on your team of choice and don't be a hater.

BBS had crazy courses which were not in the same place as the worlds (Half of each day was three miles away from the worlds course - HUGE difference in SF). Half were on the circle.

A lot of boats were trying new set-ups, different crews and wasn't on their A game. Look for the players to emerge.

On a different note, Full Throttle, Star and Red were consistent and fast. B-Lin has a high mode upwind that nobody has. (awesome driving, great set-up)

Windy practice race today. The real show starts tomorrow.

Flame on.

PS - Star pulled out of the last race when they were in the four, five spot.
Good luck to you, Roddy and the boys.

Fawcett

Windy

1. Samba

2. Red

3. Blik

Normal Conditions

1. Ramrod - the guy puts in the time, and works hard. Also one of the best people I know in the sailing industry. A truly great person.

2. Star - they have a ton of time in the boat

3. Samba

Glitter In The Eye

Anarchist
Roxanne....I sailed with Kip on his 1D35 and he has good crew this week.

Shakedown....Max is fast and if they can get Mark to hike they might be players, but I dont know the drivers abilities.

Ramrod...because Rod is a good guy.

That SW Sailor dude pollutes every goddamn thread he touches. I wish that sorry fuck would go away forever.

Are the Worlds going to be on City Front or Berzerkley Circle? I've heard both.

From Admiral Clean Clean's FP article today:

we've said for ages that Kilroy (Samba) has a real shot at this one if his pros can keep his temper reined in
That's pretty ironic. Kilroy hired Sam "Rashid" Rodgers as one of his pros, and that guy has the worst temper out there. No idea what he's like in person but the stories of that facker shouting like the Mad Fucking Hatter on the water are legendary. If Kilroy has a temper then I can only imagine the tongue lashing the crew will be subjected to when things don't go well. I hope the crew have flame-proof suits and ear plugs.

Jeff Ecklund (Star) seems to have the old vibe back now that Kostecki's out of the picture
Can somebody please dish the details on why Kostecki got pinched? With his local knowledge and skills, I thought he was Star's ringer (after Harry, obviously). Why in the world would they be better off without JK?

Keep your eye on the M32 site for a host of options on following it.
What a fucking disaster, Clean. I know there's nothing you can do because the ISAF regatta was scheduled before Worlds was (right?), but this is just a colossal cockup. You know the players better than anyone, you know the boats and the teams, you could score all of the interviews, you have a gigantic pipe for beaming all your goodies to the world and OTWA isn't going to represent!?!? On top of that, St. Frantics and Frisco in general are just about the best place anywhere for covering a sailboat regatta.

IMO this is the most interesting regatta behind the AC of the last several years. It might be the biggest event EVER (after the AC) for many fans of yacht racing, and YOU'RE POINTING VIEWERS TO OTHER SITES FOR COVERAGE!?!?

Epic Fail.

I know I know, nothing you can do about it. But it sure sucks for us desk-bound fans. :( :( Someone please tell me there will be live commentary from someone other than the Sailgroove dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

DogBalls

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth

RCH

Redneck, USA
Huge breeze on the practice race. (The French on Teasing Machine looked money and fast along with Samba and Argo (And no I do not sail on Argo or am married to Bax) Plenty on epic wipeouts. There will be several teams having shrimp tonight. More huge breeze tomorrow.

Note:

- Barbarians threw a huge party last night

- 17-18 knots downwind in 24-25 knots of breeze.

- Great R/C communication on the radio

- If you missed BBS you are sore and working on the boat tonight

The real show starts tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSG

Full Throttle has a good shot. Crew sails well together and McKee fits in with any program. Interesting to watch. Lovell is incredible sailor and great crew- I think it will be tough for them in pressure though - look for top three in light air races. Incredible field of sailors. It will be fun to watch.

Latest posts