Melges Plows through Optimists while on Port

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.

Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.
People complaining here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Forget the kids aspect - would you be happy to change course while sailing on starboard for a port tack boat? Forget racing even - would you sail on port tack through a bunch of starboard tack boats just out sailing just because you are bigger?

We all hate it when operators of various power boats use the "I'm bigger get out of my way" COLREGS :rolleyes:

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
People complaining here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.
Really?. That is the lamest excuse I've heard since the Bill Clinton "But I didn't inhale" answer.

Really?. That is the lamest excuse I've heard since the Bill Clinton "But I didn't inhale" answer.

thanks for making my point

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Sunfish Mid-Winters one year, 105 boats on the line in about 5 knots and a Cigarette style boat comes plowing through the middle of the line a couple of minutes after the start, sub-planing which meant he could not see directly ahead for about a 100 yards.

You would expect the M32 guys to have some respect for the kids, especially if it is the Worlds. Buzzing to leeward of the Opti's would be OK, but plowing through the middle?

Boneheads.

learningJ24

Super Anarchist
Was that an M32 event that had a course overlap and was that an Opti race or just practice? Regardless, the M's looked to me as if they were too close to the kids.

barleymalt

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Are you really that fucking dense?.

sailingDad

UK
People in the video could not sail a Melges either judging by,

1) the lack of knowledge of the rules

2) choosing a stupid place to gybe and

3) the mess they made of the eventual gybe.

BTW Not an Opti Dad - but team coach on the video camera.

jocksinclair

First asshole through was Brontolo HH (ITA-667) skippered by Filippo Pacinotti.

Second asshole through was Bribon-Movistar (ESP-226) skippered by Marc de Antonio Altimira

flame away

edit: @sailingDad - bribon went on to win the event, so as stupid as it looks, they can clearly sail

Last edited by a moderator:

jokerx9

NY
There is no question the Melges were way too close. There is a safety concern here. One wrong move and you could have serious injuries. Ban them because they clearly cannot drive a boat. Also, why did know patrol boats see this coming and do something. If it were me, I would have parked my boat right in front of them, making them gybe away or hit me. You would see them cry like little girls when their boat is in pieces.

sjb

Lil Rhody
Being able to handle a fast squirrelly boat is not a license to be a douche.

Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.

sjb

Lil Rhody
Being able to handle a fast squirrelly boat is not a license to be a douche.

Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.

People in the video could not sail a Melges either judging by, 1) the lack of knowledge of the rules

2) choosing a stupid place to gybe and

3) the mess they made of the eventual gybe.

BTW Not an Opti Dad - but team coach on the video camera.
Opti coach

That explains a lot.

Thanks for the clarification.