Melges Plows through Optimists while on Port

Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.
People complaining here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.
Really?. That is the lamest excuse I've heard since the Bill Clinton "But I didn't inhale" answer.
thanks for making my point
Being able to handle a fast squirrelly boat is not a license to be a douche.
Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.
Shackle?

Dude you are stuck in so last century

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Before getting out the pitchforks and/or torches, how much room was actually there to thread the M32's through there? I'm not trying to justify their behavior, but it may not have been as bad as the Opti dad doing play by play went on about. After all, they DID make it through without squashing any small children.
People complaining here could probable not even get a M32 off the dock let alone race one.
That's not what I was saying at all! I was implying that a zoomed in camera shooting from the side isn't the best at showing how much room was actually there.
I wasn't taking sides with the M32's, and certainly not randomly insulting the others on this thread!

gregj1

Being able to handle a fast squirrelly boat is not a license to be a douche.
Too bad the coach in the RIB didn't have a broken shackle on hand. You chuck it up into the sails so it drops to the deck. Then you can watch all the big time crew on the Melges scramble around trying to figure out what broke.
Shackle?

Dude you are stuck in so last century
he sure is. you? you're stuck being an asshole

where is that ignore button?

HKG1203

I was there! It was one of the scariest things in my life. we came to the spreader mark and bore away for the downwind. I went wide for some clear air and saw 3 or 4 melges coming downwind. Managed to dodge them all but i know some people who didn't. My teammate ripped a melges kite as the melges bore away on to them and broached breaking their burgee while the other one got a scratch on their boat. Luckily this was the last day of the melges regatta so they won't be here for the worlds itself!

sailingDad

UK
That's not what I was saying at all! I was implying that a zoomed in camera shooting from the side isn't the best at showing how much room was actually there.
I wasn't taking sides with the M32's, and certainly not randomly insulting the others on this thread!
Looks like the Melges had to take a bit a evasive action - the sails flogging etc - so probably not a lot of room.

sailingDad

UK
I was there! It was one of the scariest things in my life. we came to the spreader mark and bore away for the downwind. I went wide for some clear air and saw 3 or 4 melges coming downwind. Managed to dodge them all but i know some people who didn't. My teammate ripped a melges kite as the melges bore away on to them and broached breaking their burgee while the other one got a scratch on their boat. Luckily this was the last day of the melges regatta so they won't be here for the worlds itself!
Sounds like the rock start Melges sailors being idiots. Well done for dodging them.

HKG1203

what a bunch of fukwits, I mean really, what if one of the kids dumped downwind and one of those dipshits didn't have time to react!!

unbelievable
So if this was such a big deal why did no opti protest for a rule violation or was there none
Do you think a 14 year old opti sailor will be able to win a protest against a professional melges 32 race team?

nbb

People that have more money than brains. I don't think I've seen anything dumber than this while sailing.

what a bunch of fukwits, I mean really, what if one of the kids dumped downwind and one of those dipshits didn't have time to react!!

unbelievable
So if this was such a big deal why did no opti protest for a rule violation or was there none
they wernt racing each other dude ! What rule would they protest under....
WoW coach you might get one of those rule book thingies and look at part 1 and then 63.8

unbelievable
Do you think a 14 year old opti sailor will be able to win a protest against a professional melges 32 race team?
Yes

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Makes no difference whether they were racing each other. If both boats are racing, RRS applies.
Whether there was a rules violation isn't clear from the video. A breach of good manners, common sense and consideration for children seems pretty clear.

As for getting a M32 off the dock, I reckon I could manage that. Feck's sake it's just a keelboat.

HKG1203

Wow motorboaters sail too?
By "Rodney Patrol" I was indeed referring to the clueless motorboaters confused by 3 or 4 different classes of dinghys and Etchells covering the River from side to side sometimes inn early spring and fall. The mark boats will lead them through the fleet, or even block them if they are throwing too big a wake or endangering a sailor.... Similar should have been done to the M32.
They were doing this but the melges kept going. I saw one rib almost get run over

Makes no difference whether they were racing each other. If both boats are racing, RRS applies.
Whether there was a rules violation isn't clear from the video. A breach of good manners, common sense and consideration for children seems pretty clear.

As for getting a M32 off the dock, I reckon I could manage that. Feck's sake it's just a keelboat.
As a "coach" if he was so concerned there would have been a protest lodged. Uner rule 2 or 69 or a specific incident.

This looks more like a nanny parent being outraged over a non incident and trying to get hits for his poor quality video