Meme Anarchy

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm

54EF7B1F-E1D9-422D-AF87-B072F86DD611.jpeg

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
That’s a good point. In 71-74 deployments it was not at all uncommon for shipmates back from liberty in the local bars to be talking about how to distinguish the she’s from the pretend she’s. Not at all uncommon.

A friend in the Navy back around then ran into some of those pretend she's at the bars, when stationed in Subic Bay......

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
A friend in the Navy back around then ran into some of those pretend she's at the bars, when stationed in Subic Bay......
Subic/Olongopo was famous for them, luckily as a married guy it was a game I chose not to play. Besides standing watch for the liberty hounds was pretty lucrative. Add in money lending and my illegal soda business and a man could make some pretty good coin……which I needed since I had the entirety of my insubstantial paycheck going directly home for the wife and then 1 kid.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Subic/Olongopo was famous for them, luckily as a married guy it was a game I chose not to play. Besides standing watch for the liberty hounds was pretty lucrative. Add in money lending and my illegal soda business and a man could make some pretty good coin……which I needed since I had the entirety of my insubstantial paycheck going directly home for the wife and then 1 kid.
It sort of reminds me of that Aston Martin ad; Do you really care? ;)

1659987706914.png

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
My only experience with that was when I was at Imperial College London in 1976. I drove my Mini to a pub in Notting Hill, and just before closing time, spotted a lovely little blonde girl at the end of the bar weeping into her gin and tonic. Being a kind sort of bloke, I asked her what was wrong and she said her boyfriend hadn't turned up and she had no idea how to get home.

I bought her another GnT and being the English gent that I thought I was, volunteered to drive her home. She cheered up and said yes. Cutting a long story short, we were soon upstairs in her flat in a godforsaken part of the East end and going strong. I reached for her essentials and was met by something like a baby's arm. My next memory was leaning on a lamp-post losing six pints of finest ale into the gutter, before walking about three hundred miles back to College.

I paid a friend twenty quid to go and retrieve my car the next day.