Meme Anarchy

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Polar bears will actively track people as prey, the others are usually just defending territory.

If you're worried about getting attacked and eaten by a big scary animal, dress up as a clown.
Lions, hyenas, tigers, sharks, polar bears.... none of them will eat a clown.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
1661968988775.png

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
Interestingly, we often had bear sightings reported at fires (I never saw one……one of the few critters I never saw at a fire). There were even bears with cubs reported sightings, but I can’t remember ever anyone having an encounter or being menaced at a fire. I guess they were too busy getting out of “Dodge”…….
Australian firefighters have been known to share small dams, creeks, lakes etc with snakes when shit gets really real.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Australian firefighters have been known to share small dams, creeks, lakes etc with snakes when shit gets really real.
Had my share of snakes, lions, fox, and all manner of critters at fires. Rattlers are not fond of burning brush. Fortunately they aren’t interested in anything but leaving. It’s when working indirect line some distance from the fire line that they will bite if you surprise them hiking or cutting brush. Never got bit but had a boot strike once that did not get through the leather upper. Scared the shit out of me. What I really hated were the burning critters, especially the rabbits that sprint out across your line and spot fire behind you. I’ve batted more than one back into the fire with my shovel to keep them from spotting behind.

Once during a particularly active year my Fire Management Team was relieved after 3 weeks by a team from Florida. During the overlap and briefings my with my Ops counterpart…..in a southern drawl while looking jointly at a topo map of the fire and discussing strategies to be employed going forward looked at me and said something like “well I think maybe we could bring fire down this ridge and tie it in to these gator holes along the bottom”. I looked at him and said “what the f#^* is a gator hole?” He pointed on the map to a series of small springs in a riparian area along the river bottom. I said “you know we don’t have any gators in California.” We looked at each other and laughed a pretty good laugh.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
Had my share of snakes, lions, fox, and all manner of critters at fires. Rattlers are not fond of burning brush. Fortunately they aren’t interested in anything but leaving. It’s when working indirect line some distance from the fire line that they will bite if you surprise them hiking or cutting brush. Never got bit but had a boot strike once that did not get through the leather upper. Scared the shit out of me. What I really hated were the burning critters, especially the rabbits that sprint out across your line and spot fire behind you. I’ve batted more than one back into the fire with my shovel to keep them from spotting behind.

Once during a particularly active year my Fire Management Team was relieved after 3 weeks by a team from Florida. During the overlap and briefings my with my Ops counterpart…..in a southern drawl while looking jointly at a topo map of the fire and discussing strategies to be employed going forward looked at me and said something like “well I think maybe we could bring fire down this ridge and tie it in to these gator holes along the bottom”. I looked at him and said “what the f#^* is a gator hole?” He pointed on the map to a series of small springs in a riparian area along the river bottom. I said “you know we don’t have any gators in California.” We looked at each other and laughed a pretty good laugh.
The topo rings on a Florida map are very hard to see they are so far apart

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
That's sad.
Yep............but you DO NOT want fire in front and behind you. Thats very not good. Besides...they are already on fire going to die. Reality is no fun sometimes. I remember one fire we had and I had a couple engines of my Strike Team protecting a Jewish Community Center - The House of Book - and it had a big parking lot adjacent to it. When the fire came out of the drainage the parking lot was suddenly flooded with 10-15 burning rabbits. Weird. I won't tell you about the burnt and gonna die larger mammals we run across. It can be pretty jarring.

Last edited:

Latest posts