Meme Anarchy

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
We’ll see…hopefully a ways off. And if you spend your career dependent on them, as I did, it may put you ahead of the game in retirement.
I am 72, retired 12 years, and still use AutoCad, and all the “Office”’ software almost daily, but can see that I am becoming increasingly ignorant on phones and many other things. I have also watched my mother degrade from being a pretty savvy teacher, writer, historian, translator, traveller and techno buff slowly into a vegetable who can’t recognise me.

For most of us, it is not a matter of if, but when and what. May it all be a long way off in the future for you….

@Point Break , it is motivational, especially if the ”need” is not there.

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Well, at 70 I don’t have any problem with most home tech. It’s mostly pretty straight forward stuff and you tube + various forums are great for the occasional head scratch. Where I am definitely deficient is social media. Insta this tik that……..it’s a motivation problem.
Insta, snap, or whatever your flavor of media is, it rarely takes the place of a social gathering. Whether it be a poker party, BBQ or just meeting up for a beer. Much is lost in translation

WL

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I am 72, retired 12 years, and still use AutoCad, and all the “Office”’ software almost daily, but can see that I am becoming increasingly ignorant on phones and many other things.
I have the same plan. I am done at 60. I just can't see myself grinding into eternity. My ducks are lined up, just gotta maintain my glide path. I want to retire when I can still physically do all the crap I wanna do.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Insta, snap, or whatever your flavor of media is, it rarely takes the place of a social gathering. Whether it be a poker party, BBQ or just meeting up for a beer. Much is lost in translation

WL
I’m not a big “socialite” but you are certainly right….in my view anyway. Not fond social media or of large gatherings except once or twice a year with the rest of the retired old farts from the fire department at a group breakfast, and once in every few years (they do it every year) the HUGE Saint Patties Day gathering with active and retired members. It’s HUGE usually somewhere between 500 to 1000 in attendance and we sell out the hotel that hosts it. Our bagpipers, Irish dancers, once in a while guest bagpipe groups (last one was with FDNY pipers as guests……those boys can party!) But other than those few…..another couple or two at the most. Actually enjoy a golf round with another couple. 4 hours of random chatting about anything. I prefer coherent interaction to group shouting most of the time. Most of the time……..😉

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I have a brother that needs this, but he’s 80….hmmm, he needed it at 60 too. Amazes me when people don’t keep up with technology 🤷🏼‍♀️.
Personally I'm sick of having to learn how to use the fucking phone again every few years.

And needing a manual for it that's bigger than the phone book was when I first learned to use a phone.

At age 5.

Perth WA
1662774415298.jpeg

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
View attachment 540106
although at this point I'd amend it to over 60 ... I seem to recall at least having touch tone phones in our house by around 66 or 67.

but I wonder if you can get a party line app for that ....
My dad had a rotary phone until he died in the mid 1990's. He was retired "Southern Bell" and got free phone service if he kept the rotary phone. Touch tone phones cost money.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
^^^^^ You have to have projects, and try all the things you wanted to do but never had time for when your nose was down to the grindstone.

Designed and built this in my mid 60’s:

Video was done by a 19 year old. No way could I do it….. I’d rather go sailing. Or fishing.

I would love to see more info on just how that boat works!

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
My dad had a rotary phone until he died in the mid 1990's. He was retired "Southern Bell" and got free phone service if he kept the rotary phone. Touch tone phones cost money.
Gosh. I remember having a ‘princess’ phone at one point, maybe in my first apartment. Def rotary dial. Did not have a phone growing up in a poor family And remember giving my son his own phone and phone number when I split from his Dad so they could openly communicate without involving me. Cell phones have made some things more efficient.

Perth WA
This was the type of phone we used when I was young, the old Bakelite. You could really do some damage if you hit someone with. Nice solid feel. Then we had the crap plastic ones. Now we have shit plastic ones. The original was designed to last. Our current ones (and mobile/cellular) help a disposable societies neophyllia by breaking down often. I suppose when we use up all the rare earths for chips for useful devices like MP3/4/5 and Toilet seat. Then we may start mining all the value added landfill that has seduced our society.

1662791566610.jpeg

1662791642739.jpeg

tane

Anarchist
youall Americans of the early affluence probably don't know the, now curious sounding, telephones we had in the forest here well into the 70s: "1/4-phones" ("Vierteltelefone" in Kraut): 4 households were sharing one landline (but everyone had their one phones), so if one of the four was using his phone the others had to wait until they hung up. There was a little button on the set that had to be pressed to get into the line. Was it occupied a little sectored disc behind a little glass window made one small move then stopped, was the line free the little sectored disc jerked more often until you got the line. If one was unlucky one of the other three households, that you were sharing the line with, had a "talker", then sometimes you had to wait for a long time until the line was free. Until somebody discovered that sticking a needle carefully into the cable that ran from a connection box to your phone & shorted the little wires in there "just right", the person using the phone was "thrown out" & you could grab the line. Our cable had many holes & a needle was permanently parked close. Even mother sometimes resorted to it.
Of course these were dialing disc phones!
1662792889118.png

one could have one's own 1/1 line, it was just very much more expensive than the 1/4 phone

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
This was the type of phone we used when I was young, the old Bakelite. You could really do some damage if you hit someone with. Nice solid feel. Then we had the crap plastic ones. Now we have shit plastic ones. The original was designed to last. Our current ones (and mobile/cellular) help a disposable societies neophyllia by breaking down often. I suppose when we use up all the rare earths for chips for useful devices like MP3/4/5 and Toilet seat. Then we may start mining all the value added landfill that has seduced our society.

View attachment 540252

That's a standard pattern British phone that we grew up with. What's REALLY WEIRD is that the phone number in the middle, Godshill 217 was that of a young girlfriend's parents' house in the Isle of Wight way back when. Getting chills.

mgs

canoeman
maine
youall Americans of the early affluence probably don't know the, now curious sounding, telephones we had in the forest here well into the 70s: "1/4-phones" ("Vierteltelefone" in Kraut): 4 households were sharing one landline (but everyone had their one phones), so if one of the four was using his phone the others had to wait until they hung up. There was a little button on the set that had to be pressed to get into the line. Was it occupied a little sectored disc behind a little glass window made one small move then stopped, was the line free the little sectored disc jerked more often until you got the line. If one was unlucky one of the other three households, that you were sharing the line with, had a "talker", then sometimes you had to wait for a long time until the line was free. Until somebody discovered that sticking a needle carefully into the cable that ran from a connection box to your phone & shorted the little wires in there "just right", the person using the phone was "thrown out" & you could grab the line. Our cable had many holes & a needle was permanently parked close. Even mother sometimes resorted to it.
Of course these were dialing disc phones!
View attachment 540254
one could have one's own 1/1 line, it was just very much more expensive than the 1/4 phone
I’ve read about gang/party lines in EB White’s essays…does that count?

Last edited: