Method for attaching sailcloth (mylar) to boom for mainsheet.

I have scoured the net and exhausted Google's ability to find shit.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what product (double sided tape, etc) is best to attach a sailcloth 'loop' or 'sock' to the boom to support an externally run mainsheet and to keep it from hanging the helmsman?

Many people have this and many sites recommend having this, but no one has mentioned the best installation method.

Please be specific with which products you recommend (i.e. 3M blah-blah-blah...)

I appreciate any assistance you can give.

The previous owner of my boat thought that a white plastic shower curtain was a good material for this application and I really need to replace it.

I already have the composite sailcloth but want to make sure I put it on properly.

Major Tom

Super Anarchist
Darkest Africa
Double sided tape or contact adhesive between the tape and the boom and sail repair tape over the top. Round the corners of the sail repair tape before applying to delay the corners lifting and looking shite. If you are riviting use an aluminium rivit through a washer ontop of the tape.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Just use sail repair tape! Buy the wide dacron stuff you can get - 150mm wide. Cut 2 pieces the length you want. Be warned. Most people make these too short. Next, trim the width of one by, say, 50mm and round the corners of the larger piece. This smaller piece is stuck to the sticky side of the larger piece so as to leave a 25mm band of sticky material on each side. Finally, stick it to the boom in the right place!

If you have more money, get the whole thing made by a sailmaker out of mylar with velcro edges. Then stick velcro to the boom in the appropriate place. Why velcro? Because in an hurry/emergency, it is far easier to rethread the mainsheet with that than a fixed sleeve. Most of the time I need to replace the sleeve is because of rushed rethreading of the mainsheet resulting in damage.

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Self adhesive velcro on boom and cloth. Then you can remove it when you need to and its not likely to rip off. Suitable strips of it come with IBM servers:)

67ljf

Double sided tape from your local sailmaker is the easiest and super simple... looks a bit more pro than duct tape ;)

k_b

Sydney
Just use sail repair tape! Buy the wide dacron stuff you can get - 150mm wide. Cut 2 pieces the length you want. Be warned. Most people make these too short. Next, trim the width of one by, say, 50mm and round the corners of the larger piece. This smaller piece is stuck to the sticky side of the larger piece so as to leave a 25mm band of sticky material on each side. Finally, stick it to the boom in the right place!
If you have more money, get the whole thing made by a sailmaker out of mylar with velcro edges. Then stick velcro to the boom in the appropriate place. Why velcro? Because in an hurry/emergency, it is far easier to rethread the mainsheet with that than a fixed sleeve. Most of the time I need to replace the sleeve is because of rushed rethreading of the mainsheet resulting in damage.
Even nylon ripstop (spinnaker repair tape) works well, it sticks to the boom just fine. But as SimonN says: it should be longer than you think, I have made that mistake on my 29er (I need to go and fix it some time).

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Your pointers were quite helpful.

I am attaching an image of the clean installation I am looking for.

mainsheet_sock.JPG

I like the suggestion of sail repair tape combined with double sided sailmaker's tape.

Should work great.

skiffe

Anarchist
Sydney
Thanks to everyone who replied.Your pointers were quite helpful.

I am attaching an image of the clean installation I am looking for.

View attachment 77062

I like the suggestion of sail repair tape combined with double sided sailmaker's tape.

Should work great.

when you go to your local sailmaker tell him what you are doing as there is more than one type of tape. buy a roll so you can start fixing your own minor repairs between races.

stinky

Anarchist
Also, when you go to your local sailmaker, bring him a beer. A small up front investment that results in long term cost savings.

and an ice cream sandwich if its hot out.