metreclass yacht keel difference between 2nd and 3rd rule

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
hi all, 

Question, what is the difference between a 2nd and 3rd rule meterclass yacht keel?

What would change to the keel if you want to update a 2nd rule boat to a 3rd rule keel? if there are before/after pictures, this would help!

thanks

I am sure that there are marine architects who can back me up on this but the main difference is that the second rule requires the design to be a straight line from  the waterline to the bottom of the keel, no hollows.  Third rule boats are allowed to have a "fin" with a skeg for the rudder to hang off.  If you look at Iroquois the 8Mr, she is the extreme of what the third rule allowed.  The 8Mr Raven is an older third rule design and there is a hollow at the front of the keel line.  8Mr Venture also has a pronounced fin for a keel.

If you are looking at changing this I believe both the 8Mr and 12's do not allow this change and you would be considered a "Modern" if you do.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
thanks! I am not interested in changing our keel as it would be mote as it would mean we'd have to build the complete boat from the bottom up again. however, I was reading today about some 12's that were converted from 2nd to 3rd rule keels. but looking at the pictures from the side of the boat didn't really clarify what happened. 

Raven (currently pandora (again)) is still a fast boat! The raven boys went all out when they built raven from the ground up. Falcon is doing great in the Neptune class, but if we were to go Sira, there would be no use in taking falcon, but to take a 3rd rule boat and go all out like raven.

Latest posts