Michael Masi.....the worst PRO of all time?

mathystuff

Anarchist
It was a terrific season with the lead ebbing and flowing between 2 great drivers. Masi had no business interfering with the battle.  Masi is a dwarf among giants and he succumbed to the player who had their radio volume turned up the highest.
What you are neglecting was that stewardship was shit over the whole season and some of the decisions benefited Hamilton.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Matters not.  The politics of Formula one have gotten so bad, the cars and all the silliness which contributes nothing to the racing have caused this to be a long lost series.  

NASCAR, racing in the rain at Austin.  Far more entertaining despite the best efforts of the rules makers to destroy the cars.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 

What you are neglecting was that stewardship was shit over the whole season and some of the decisions benefited Hamilton.
Okay, I understand your point.  Masi was looking fragile all season , but the last lap of the last reason, I think he plumbed new depths.

Perhaps he was at risk for his job next year, but at Abu Dhabi he turned a risk into a certainty.

I may be wrong but I think Hamilton was awarded more "unlucky" penalty positions than Max over the season.  

To be fair to Max, I think that Christian Horner has been a terrible "enabler" of some of Max's antics.  Horner has a driver of incredible talent and potential, but instead of management and mentoring Max to acquire those precision skills and judgement that can create a long career at the top , Horner has gone for short term gains.

mathystuff

Anarchist
I may be wrong but I think Hamilton was awarded more "unlucky" penalty positions than Max over the season.
Maybe.

Might be a cultural thing. We europeans are very used to refrees being shite and deciding a football game in a single horrible decision. It belongs to the sport and improves the viewing experience for being able to shout insults at the refree.

In the end it comes down to this: if Hamilton had been way better he would have won. He didn't. Verstappen did, so Verstappen was better.

Yes, it's illogical, but it's the only logical way to watch the sport.

heavym210

Milwaukee
F1 and other top level racing has been full of that sort of political bullshit ever since they whored themselves to the corporate money tree. Anybody remember Balestre?

It doesn't happen at Bonneville - the last bastion of true amateurism.
Agreed, been to Bonneville as a spectator a few times. Every team has a story and a different approach.

Matters not.  The politics of Formula one have gotten so bad, the cars and all the silliness which contributes nothing to the racing have caused this to be a long lost series.  

NASCAR, racing in the rain at Austin.  Far more entertaining despite the best efforts of the rules makers to destroy the cars.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulations/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer.  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost, how many will survive the race.  Proud to see drivers walking away, virtually unharmed from nasty accidents that formerly would have guaranteed a fatality 
I dont think F1 should be judged on the missteps of one man. Overall I think F1 has got steadily better over the last 5 seasons. I think Liberty Media and Stefano (especially) have done a good job. This was a brilliant season. F1 is better, safer and more interesting than when it was the private empire of  Bernie Ecclestone. But they will not get every decision right the first time. My money is that the promotion of Masi to Race Director was a mistake that will be corrected next year. 

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
To be fair to Max, I think that Christian Horner has been a terrible "enabler" of some of Max's antics.  Horner has a driver of incredible talent and potential, but instead of management and mentoring Max to acquire those precision skills and judgement that can create a long career at the top , Horner has gone for short term gains.
Jesus, what a stupid thing to say.

+1

We lost many great drivers. RIP to:

Jim Clark

Jochen Rindt

Francios Cevert

Ronnie Peterson

Patrick Depallier

Giles Villeneuve

Elio de Angelis

Ayrton Senna

and many others that I have missed out. It was too dangerous for too long and I'm with Santana thankful of the technology that has made the sport safer but not safe

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Personally I think Hamilton lost the Championship when he accidentally hit the magic button in Azerbaijan, but there are plenty of points in the season where ting could have gone the other way.

If this had not been the last race of the season it would have been less of an issue. I would have liked Lewis to win, but I think Max deserved the championship. It just would have been nice if the last lap of the last race had not been such a cluster.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
The last paragraph (seen above) was part of an entire post.  I was quoted out of context though not in a way to be disrespectful, or in a negative way, Still I think I should clarify the last paragraph.  

Last Point, do not take anything of what I said about the rules/regulation/progress in making the cars, both F1 and NASCAR, safer, These rule and regulation changes have gone a Long Way to Save Lives and make the sport much safer for the drivers, crews, course workers and spectators.  This is a Very, Good Thing!  In my younger days, it wasn’t if a driver might die in a racing incident, it was almost……

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Jesus, what a stupid thing to say.
Adgreede, definiteley selleng youre teame shortte...................              :)

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Hi Scott,

Its been a discussion point in F1. Some of Christian's friends have told him as much.  I enjoy Christian, he knows how to set off Toto and he is force in the sport.  We could go off on a whole thread about Red Bull's history with its drivers.
You mean like 4-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel? Or Danny Ric, who took the Renault money and ran and hid from Max? In my mind, You either have what it takes it or you don't, and I don't buy the "Christian is why I sucked" lament.

Christian knew exactly what he was doing with Max, and I'd say the results have in part proven that. I know who I'd want to drive for.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
+1

We lost many great drivers. RIP to:

Jim Clark

Jochen Rindt

Francios Cevert

Ronnie Peterson

Patrick Depallier

Giles Villeneuve

Elio de Angelis

Ayrton Senna

and many others that I have missed out. It was too dangerous for too long and I'm with Santana thankful of the technology that has made the sport safer but not safe
And when Jackie Stewart led the driver's 'revolt' for safer F1 racing he was vilified by many but that started the move to a safer sport with the 'Halo' just being the latest development. Certainly saved a couple of near beheadings in the past couple of years.