Michael Masi.....the worst PRO of all time?

nota

Anarchist
while some have massive bonus payments in their contract with their team

there is no requirement to do so

and any bonus  is with the team only not the sport

some drivers do not get paid but buy a ride

they could win a WDC without any pay

in fact paying for the ride

none ever has but it could happen [unlikely]

the big prize has no trophy no cash reward from the SPORT

sure a WDC gets more sponsorship money for every ad or endorsement

a some get a raise some get a handshake goodby as a WDC costs too much [sir frank W]\

but a good boost for the next team

it is one of the odder reward systems in sport at a very top level

Are you employed as his personal fluffer or do you just wish you were?
You got me!  What gave it away?

3c5eaab95560387f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fufkin

Super Anarchist
This whining about who is WC is getting a bit boring.

It’s just like the hand of God from Maradonna. It’s a nice topic for in a bar, but for the rest of the people in the world Argentina won. 

Time to move on. And put the hurt egos aside. 
...or Andy Roddick. Is he somehow not a Grand Slam champ because he was saved from imminent defeat by an egregious call when up against Nalbandian in the semis?

Bad calls happen in sports but they are irrelevant to the kid staring through the glass at the trophy 20 years from now. 

Im starting to think that the two guys behind the wheel will get over this long before the fans, the press, Toto, and the F1 brass who obviously have some work to do this off season in the officiating department.

When both Max or Lewis uttered the words, ‘Well I guess that’s racing’, they might’ve actually meant it.

inebg

Australia
This happens in sailing now. Unless you can show the race committee has disadvantaged you then you can't do anything. No starts after say 4pm? Doesn't matter if that is what the race committee wants. Have a racing schedule for 2 races in an afternoon but the race committee only wants one and stops the sailing at 2pm meaning no drops, of course they can do it. Deciding they will have 4 races in a final series rather than 3, you won't win that one either.

Race committees, and the protest committees that enable them, have been doing this for over 25 years.

As I have always said, the best race officials are the ones you never notice.

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
Charlie came from racing to race official. He was a very experienced F1 engineer with Brabham and chief mechanic for Nelson. So he was very strong on the technical aspect.  Messy has been a professional race officer all his life. When I'm racing sailboats, I find that the better race officers/race committee are all racers or former racers themselves.

Looking at the positives for F1, Martin Brundle is a superb commentator.  Quote of the day for me was after Hamilton pitted for tires and emerged behind Perez, Brundle (already anticipating what was going to happen in 3 laps) remarked with a straight face "According to regulations, the maximum width for a Formula 1 car is 2 meters". Absolutely brilliant. His combination of technical expertise, commentary skills and bone dry sense of humor is very good.
Martin is a legend both behind the wheel (on his still hurting crushed ankles) and with his keen eye in the booth.  I could not agree with you more.  From his ‘is that Glock’ call to the one you mentioned he is still playing the game three steps ahead.  I don’t know if anyone with similar racing background would be willing to step into the race director chair without more resources around them.

nota

Anarchist
Those insanely dangerous little cigars from that era were certainly the coolest and best looking GP cars ever.

Gurney's was the best looking of all IMO.

Who could have come up with the idea of a roll bar that didn't even reach the top of the drivers head?
they can DUCK

the car is in the collier collection in naples fl

now called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revs_Institute

unsure if they are open again do to cv19 but well worth the time if they are

This happens in sailing now. Unless you can show the race committee has disadvantaged you then you can't do anything. No starts after say 4pm? Doesn't matter if that is what the race committee wants. Have a racing schedule for 2 races in an afternoon but the race committee only wants one and stops the sailing at 2pm meaning no drops, of course they can do it. Deciding they will have 4 races in a final series rather than 3, you won't win that one either.

Race committees, and the protest committees that enable them, have been doing this for over 25 years.

As I have always said, the best race officials are the ones you never notice.
Sock or a true newbie?

I very much agree with your last sentence. The truly great race officials in sailing and in motor racing are so good you hardly notice the enormous amount of work they put in.

However I dont understand what you are trying to say in the first two . In sailing, a successful request for redress due to an action of the Race Committee has to meet 2 criteria:

1.  An improper action or omission of the race committee.

2. A boat's score has been made significantly worse as a result of #1, and through no fault of her own .

If those 2 criteria are met , then you stand a good chance of getting redress, especially in a World Championship..

At the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix, both of those criteria were met, at the series deciding event of the premiere event in all of motor racing .....and yet there is no crystal clear process for redress. Just some vague allowance for an appeal accompanied by not so subtle pressure not to tarnish the reputation of the sport.

Like many other international competitors, I have had occasion to criticize World Sailing, but it has to be said that the Racing Rules of Sailing are in better shape than the FIA Racing Regulations, and the overall standards and training for judges and race officials in our sport are higher than they were in Motor Racing based on Abi Dhabi.. Perhaps that is a low bar?

If Masi survives, that is going to send a poor message about the officiating at motor racing......but I doubt that he survives, and perhaps this will be a catalyst for positive change.

DELETED

Anarchist
Every Box office theatrical ensemble production requires 3 things for guaranteed success:

1:A Production

2:protagonist

3:publicity

Bernie Ecc was all over this aspect of F1’s theatrical need for all 3 inorder to secure Audience,Ratings and $$$$$$’s... 

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Its kind of astonishing to me reading this thread how many people are happy for the rule book to be thrown out  the window when it benefits their favorite driver (or fucks over the one they don't like), would they have been happy if Masi had decided the same had the situation been reversed with Max controlling the race? Doubt it. 

If this were some sailing council or race committee deciding to rip up the rule book halfway through race or even a season then most people on here would be rightly outraged by it, but for some reason different standards apply here. 

F1 needs to make its  mind up if its a sport and its going to have regulations & rules that are fairly applied or if its just purely for entertainment.

And unless the circus are in town, Masi needs to be kept away from the track. 

Last edited by a moderator:

trt131

Super Anarchist
Sock or a true newbie?

I very much agree with your last sentence. The truly great race officials in sailing and in motor racing are so good you hardly notice the enormous amount of work they put in.

However I dont understand what you are trying to say in the first two . In sailing, a successful request for redress due to an action of the Race Committee has to meet 2 criteria:

1.  An improper action or omission of the race committee.

2. A boat's score has been made significantly worse as a result of #1, and through no fault of her own .

If those 2 criteria are met , then you stand a good chance of getting redress, especially in a World Championship..

At the Abu Dhabi Formula 1 Grand Prix, both of those criteria were met, at the series deciding event of the premiere event in all of motor racing .....and yet there is no crystal clear process for redress. Just some vague allowance for an appeal accompanied by not so subtle pressure not to tarnish the reputation of the sport.

Like many other international competitors, I have had occasion to criticize World Sailing, but it has to be said that the Racing Rules of Sailing are in better shape than the FIA Racing Regulations, and the overall standards and training for judges and race officials in our sport are higher than they were in Motor Racing based on Abi Dhabi.. Perhaps that is a low bar?

If Masi survives, that is going to send a poor message about the officiating at motor racing......but I doubt that he survives, and perhaps this will be a catalyst for positive change.
Actually there are 3 criteria to meet, the third one is "through no fault of your own" although you have put that in your second criteria.  This is the one that most request for redress fail on as often there is some fault in the actions of the boat seeking redress.  Even if there is a small amount of own fault the redress must fail.

Actually there are 3 criteria to meet, the third one is "through no fault of your own" although you have put that in your second criteria.  This is the one that most request for redress fail on as often there is some fault in the actions of the boat seeking redress.  Even if there is a small amount of own fault the redress must fail.
I was specifically referring to requests for redress due to an act or omission of the RC.

The redress requests that fail due to contributory fault, are usually 62.1 (b) requests, when the request is for a score adjustment due to damage incurred when fouled by another boat.

By far the most common reason for a 62.1 (a) request to fail is the finding that the RC did not commit an improper act or omission. This is because over 50% of 62.1 (a) redress requests are for OCS, and unless the request can demonstrate that the RC made a mistake, it will fail.   Protest committees have to put up with a lot of low quality, "hail mary" challenges to OCS that are DOA.

I have seen some very well run request redress hearings that have granted redress to well presented cases for redress. 

However, in all my years, I have never heard a Race Officer defend his actions like Michael Masi did, by saying as Race Director he has the power to override the rules and regulations. Firstly, I agree with those who say that he completely misread the rules and regs if he thinks that. Secondly, who on earth wants a PRO within a thousand miles of their race course, be it sailing or motor racing , who even thinks like that?

I do not agree with the apologists for Masi who say "Its the fault of entertainment. Masi was under pressure not to finish the race behind the safety car"  As others have pointed out, he had options to comply with the rules and provide an exciting and fair finish to the race.  He cannot blame Liberty Media .  The truth is far simpler. He does not have the strength of character, temperament, quick thinking or expertise for the job. It is a well paid job. They will find someone better.   

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
As others have pointed out, he had options to comply with the rules and provide an exciting and fair finish to the race.  He cannot blame Liberty Media .  The truth is far simpler. He does not have the strength of character, temperament, quick thinking or expertise for the job. It is a well paid job. They will find someone better.   
However, in all my years, I have never heard a Race Officer defend his actions like Michael Masi did, by saying as Race Director he has the power to override the rules and regulations. Firstly, I agree with those who say that he completely misread the rules and regs if he thinks that. Secondly, who on earth wants a PRO within a thousand miles of their race course, be it sailing or motor racing , who even thinks like that?

I do not agree with the apologists for Masi who say "Its the fault of entertainment. Masi was under pressure not to finish the race behind the safety car"  As others have pointed out, he had options to comply with the rules and provide an exciting and fair finish to the race.  He cannot blame Liberty Media .  The truth is far simpler. He does not have the strength of character, temperament, quick thinking or expertise for the job. It is a well paid job. They will find someone better.   
Even now , many months later, the race still rankles. 

I'm glad Masi is gone. He gets no sympathy from me.

Remember I am a Verstappen fan but he will never get credit for 2021. I  am hoping that this year he wins it fair and square and we can put the travesty of 2021 behind us .