Michigan's starting to tank.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Looks like Hrothgar is overdosing on expired cream of mushroom soup. If he drank the fresh stuff, he’d know from the Prez that it’s getting worse, and it’s patriotic to wear a mask.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Looks like Hrothgar is overdosing on expired cream of mushroom soup. If he drank the fresh stuff, he’d know from the Prez that it’s getting worse, and it’s patriotic to wear a mask.
That was last week, I think he is back on the Chloroquine and it will magically go away bandwagon.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I actually don't think that Michigan is "Tanking" but rather is holder her own.

https://www.mlive.com/coronavirus/data/

These data suggest to me that cases are increasing but deaths are decreasing indicating that the virus is not a lethal as we have been led to believe by the scary media.  Percentage of positive tests is generally flat.

All's well.  Witmer doing a decent job.  Thank God I don't have to send my kids back to public schools this fall.

Hroth
I agree with you with regards to death.  It really looks like either the country's medical system is getting on the ball, or perhaps our most at-risk people were the the first hit.  Likely a combination of both.  I hope I'm wrong.  

I agree - Whitmer's doing what should be done.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
I agree with you with regards to death.  It really looks like either the country's medical system is getting on the ball, or perhaps our most at-risk people were the the first hit.  Likely a combination of both.  I hope I'm wrong.  

Looking at some of the data, it also seems likely that a lot of the folks who may have died earlier in the pandemic are living longer, but not necessarily getting better. We know several people personally who are still on oxygen and essentially disabled months later. They are alive, but can not work and have trouble just doing basic things like taking a shower or walking to the bathroom. 

Rok Dog

Super Anarchist
I actually don't think that Michigan is "Tanking" but rather is holder her own.

https://www.mlive.com/coronavirus/data/

These data suggest to me that cases are increasing but deaths are decreasing indicating that the virus is not a lethal as we have been led to believe by the scary media.  Percentage of positive tests is generally flat.

All's well.  Witmer doing a decent job.  Thank God I don't have to send my kids back to public schools this fall.

Hroth
Spot on.

Rok Dog

Super Anarchist

It’s both.  Let’s face it,  if your are very old and already in a state where your body can hardly get enough oxygen, you’re a goner to COVID.  Early on the medical treatment provided was actually doing harm.  

there should have been a lot more done.  Why is Starbucks open?  WTF?

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
It’s both.  Let’s face it,  if your are very old and already in a state where your body can hardly get enough oxygen, you’re a goner to COVID.  Early on the medical treatment provided was actually doing harm.  

there should have been a lot more done.  Why is Starbucks open?  WTF?
I agree with that.  We can't really nitpick what's open and what's not for the most part.  The politicians didn't go through and say "ok, no strip clubs.  Ice cream shops are ok... blah blah".  They blanketly (for the most part) said things like "if it sells food, then we're considering it critical" etc.  They were general categories for the most part and folks are finding the 'odd man out' companies and bitching about it.  That's just background noise.

Why wouldn't starbucks be open?  It's food (of a sort), and boiling water is just about as safe as you get.  Almost zero contact with the drink itself.  Frankly I have more issue with strip clubs and ice cream parlors (where little of the product is cooked).  Especially places that sell soft-serve made on site.

Pizza places that advertise 'contactless' pizza making are ridiculous.  How did the food get from the oven it the box?  How did it get cut?  How did my breadsticks and wings get the paper wrapped around them?  Psssssht.  Contactless my ass.

Mcdonald's apple pies are contactless.  They already are made and in the containers and Mickey-D's just heats them up.  Yes - that's the type of things my wife and I discuss when we considering buying food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

You should get together with Mikey and write a medical text book

- DSK

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
From a distance, it sure looks like Michigan benefits from having better leadership through the maze of this virus than we have in Florida. At a minimum, y’all have leadership that seems focused on the well being of your residents. I suppose that isn’t entirely fair to Ronny Baseball... he did use our money to corner the market on Hydroxychloroquine. A million doses. SMHAWAMTM. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Both my kids go to college...

Hroth
Apologies, I was overly sensitive to the term public schools as I thought you had meant your kids went to private schools.  I don't see classroom attendance at college as any safer and hope your kids stay healthy.  College was one of the most fun and relaxed periods of my life and this virus has certainly changed that for current students.  

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
From a distance, it sure looks like Michigan benefits from having better leadership through the maze of this virus than we have in Florida. At a minimum, y’all have leadership that seems focused on the well being of your residents. I suppose that isn’t entirely fair to Ronny Baseball... he did use our money to corner the market on Hydroxychloroquine. A million doses. SMHAWAMTM. 
Even up close I believe Michigan has benefited from a Governor who most definitely doesn't give a shit about pissing Trump off.  Yes, we did reopen in mid-June and as soon as the number of new cases showed a clear and alarming trend upward, she shut things back down.  Mask compliance is more strict now than before and it appears businesses and individuals are showing greater compliance.  New cases appear to have leveled off and if we remain vigilant, I have do doubt we'll get back to reasonable levels.  Whitmer's approval ratings on the virus are in the mid 70% levels; I'd be curious how FL rates DeSantis.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
He started out well when he first took office, and deserved it. He barely won, and started out governing as if he had barely won... At some point thereafter he started doing the cockwalk strut as if he had a mandate. He started declaring victory over the virus, in the VIP/practice day stage of the Volvo Race. The virus didn’t agree with him. Nobody can bullshit a virus. His ratings are sliding appropriately. He’s revealed himself as a bullshitter. That’s like having herpes. There’s no going back. 

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
Apologies, I was overly sensitive to the term public schools as I thought you had meant your kids went to private schools.  I don't see classroom attendance at college as any safer and hope your kids stay healthy.  College was one of the most fun and relaxed periods of my life and this virus has certainly changed that for current students.  
No worries!  I should have explicitly said K-12 schools, not public schools.  Both my kids went to public schools and are now attending private colleges.  Interestingly, one of them (the senior) has to do online all fall.  So, she and some sorority sisters are renting a house in Charleston, SC, getting jobs, and doing online classes.  In Spring they'll be back on campus and graduating in May.  The freshman will be on campus.  Lots of measures in place--small classes, some online, etc...  Given their age brackets, I think the risk of becoming seriously ill is low.

Hroth

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Even up close I believe Michigan has benefited from a Governor who most definitely doesn't give a shit about pissing Trump off.  Yes, we did reopen in mid-June and as soon as the number of new cases showed a clear and alarming trend upward, she shut things back down.  Mask compliance is more strict now than before and it appears businesses and individuals are showing greater compliance.  New cases appear to have leveled off and if we remain vigilant, I have do doubt we'll get back to reasonable levels.  Whitmer's approval ratings on the virus are in the mid 70% levels; I'd be curious how FL rates DeSantis.  
Michigan will be an interesting culture shock when I stop by for the night next weekend. I’m used to Wisconsin’s policy of virtually no rules. It’ll be an even bigger shock to all the Michigan sailors when they arrive in Wisconsin the next night. It’ll be interesting to see how social they opt to be. 

Latest posts