Michigan's starting to tank.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
It’s both.  Let’s face it,  if your are very old and already in a state where your body can hardly get enough oxygen, you’re a goner to COVID.  Early on the medical treatment provided was actually doing harm.  

there should have been a lot more done.  Why is Starbucks open?  WTF?
Look at the Vichy trying to switch sides. Just like the French after it was clear Hitler was falling.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
...    Given their age brackets, I think the risk of becoming seriously ill is low.
I think your method of weighing risk is rather dysfunctional

If you had a jar with 1,000 jellybeans in it, and 6 or 7 of those jellybeans contained an uncurable deadly poison that would make die in lingering, days-long agony, would you eat a jellybean out of the jar? Oh, you're young & healthy, only 3 or 4 will kill you!

How about if another 50 or 60 of those jellybeans gave you irreversible heart damage? Another 50 gave you life long liver damage? There's no promise that if you like your lungs, you can keep your lungs. Play the lottery with your internal organs?

But Trump wants you to eat those jellybeans! Trump says you HAVE to eat those jellybeans! No choice!!

- DSK

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

If you had a jar with 1,000 jellybeans in it, and 6 or 7 of those jellybeans contained an uncurable deadly poison that would make die in lingering, days-long agony, would you eat a jellybean out of the jar? Oh, you're young & healthy, only 3 or 4 will kill you!

How about if another 50 or 60 of those jellybeans gave you irreversible heart damage? Another 50 gave you life long liver damage? There's no promise that if you like your lungs, you can keep your lungs. Play the lottery with your internal organs?

But Trump wants you to eat those jellybeans! Trump says you HAVE to eat those jellybeans! No choice!!

- DSK
Couple of my Minneapolis college friends were whinging on about their horrible governor, and schools. Mpls has 37000 kids in school.  I just asked them if they could choose which 37 kids would die if/when the Covid ripped through the schools. Ok, maybe it only infects half of them, so 20.

For some reason they were unable to make that choice. I wonder why that is. But of course, they still needed the schools opened.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
I’m baffled by the adults that can’t grasp - or at least acknowledge- that when covid19 rips through the schools, it’s probably going to rip through the adults living with the kids too. 
For some reason, these guys, in their 50s, whiskey drinkers, cigar smokers, borderline obese, STILL feel like they are "immune" for some reason.

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI

- DSK
Interesting metaphor...there is risk in driving a car...should we all stop driving?  I further would not be surprised if the risk of dying in a car accident was greater than the risk of dying from COVID.  But I could be wrong.

Hroth

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Interesting metaphor...there is risk in driving a car...should we all stop driving?  I further would not be surprised if the risk of dying in a car accident was greater than the risk of dying from COVID.  But I could be wrong.

Hroth
This year? Not even close.

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
There were ~38,000 Car accident fatalities in 2019, dumbfuck.
My only point, clearly lost on you, is that there is risk is everything.  One cannot live is a bubble.  Unless it is you living inside your liberal fuckstick bubble of a life scared shitless by MSNBC and CNN.  Too bad you can still type... the world will be a better place when you are feeble and unable to pollute internet forums with your gibberish.

Hroth

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
You’ve demonstrated you do not know how to frame or calculate risk, nor do you care to find quality data.

You want the USA to fail, and as long as you can live in your little bubble it’s “fuck you, I got mine”.
You've demonstrated you're a Grade A Asshole who contributes nothing to society except to shout down people who disagree with you.

I yes, "I did get mine" through education, hard work, perseverance, and a little luck.  In your eyes I'm sure that makes me a bad person.

Hroth

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

Hroth
Well, of course every risk must not only be honestly evaluated... which has been brushed over by the politicizers of this pandemic... but also must be weighed against the potential gain.

Driving is risky, but it's less risky if you are in certain types of car and drive within certain bounds of behavior. And there is the gain of reliable, timely, convenient, transportation. Most people consider the gain worth the risk, although many chose differently with regard to driving behavior and vehicle.

What's gained by risking infection.... especially in the face of exponentially increased risk of death and serious health damage if you arrive at the hospital in the midst of a big wave... when the cost of public health measures is so slight? Masks are cheap, and you're supposed to wash your filthy hands anyway (about 3/4s of men in public rest rooms do not, apparently)

The USA is suffering from a lack of leadership, and even more so from a loss of the ability to make rational decisions including the weighing of risk vs reward.

- DSK

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I just read what the medical experts write.  Give it a try sometime.  It’s more informative than MSM.
No you don't

You swallow the mushroom soup, and think that bullshitters are "medical experts" because they tell you so.

For medical info, I look at a bunch of different sources including but not limited to Johns Hopkins, New England Journal, Lancet, and things coming thru CDC... although CDC is getting politicized and there's a certain amount of bullshit coming from there now.

In general, what you call "MSM" (isn't "lamestream" cool any more) refer to the best sources they can find, and let them speak for themselves. When a news talking head shows you a picture of Dr. Fauci and tells you what he said, he's bullshitting. When they put Dr Fauci on, he tells you himself.

- DSK

Rok Dog

Super Anarchist
No you don't

You swallow the mushroom soup, and think that bullshitters are "medical experts" because they tell you so.

For medical info, I look at a bunch of different sources including but not limited to Johns Hopkins, New England Journal, Lancet, and things coming thru CDC... although CDC is getting politicized and there's a certain amount of bullshit coming from there now.

In general, what you call "MSM" (isn't "lamestream" cool any more) refer to the best sources they can find, and let them speak for themselves. When a news talking head shows you a picture of Dr. Fauci and tells you what he said, he's bullshitting. When they put Dr Fauci on, he tells you himself.

- DSK
Faucci is an admitted liar.  Experts don’t do that.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I just read what the medical experts write.  Give it a try sometime.  It’s more informative than MSM.
Then you say

Faucci is an admitted liar.  Experts don’t do that.
There's only one source for the "Fauci is an admitted liar" theme... Trump's asshole.

Sucking it up makes you stupid and self-destructive. Continually spraying it all over other people makes you a treasonous, toxic, potential murderer. The same level as that guy who set the wildfires in Cali.

You're on the bus to Jonestown. Hope you like it when you get there

- DSK

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Then you say

There's only one source for the "Fauci is an admitted liar" theme... Trump's asshole.

Sucking it up makes you stupid and self-destructive. Continually spraying it all over other people makes you a treasonous, toxic, potential murderer. The same level as that guy who set the wildfires in Cali.

You're on the bus to Jonestown. Hope you like it when you get there

- DSK
Are you suggesting that RD is Trump’s asshole?  

MR.CLEAN

Not here
A relative is home in bed in oakland county MI with body aches, chills, fever.  She couldn't get in to any of the drive-in tests, too busy.  Doc says 6 days for a result so she didn't bother. Their three kids are overachievers. Husband has several advanced degrees, it is a home that always appreciated knowledge (until the kids wanted to go hang with their friends).  They gradually relaxed along with their group of ultra-wealthy friends.  

When we mentioned to her that she should isolate in the house to keep her immunocompromised husband from potentially getting it from her, she was like "but wouldn't he already have gotten it from me?" Had to send her one of the cruise ship studies and stats from plane trips.  The level of conscious ignorance from educated, progressive, resource-rich folks is extremely disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
A relative is home in bed in oakland county MI with body aches, chills, fever.  She couldn't get in to any of the drive-in tests, too busy.  Doc says 6 days for a result so she didn't bother. Their three kids are overachievers. Husband has several advanced degrees, it is a home that always appreciated knowledge (until the kids wanted to go hang with their friends).  They gradually relaxed along with their group of ultra-wealthy friends.  

When we mentioned to her that she should isolate in the house to keep her immunocompromised husband from potentially getting it from her, she was like "but wouldn't he already have gotten it from me?" Had to send her one of the cruise ship studies and stats from plane trips.  The level of conscious ignorance from educated, progressive, resource-rich folks is extremely disappointing.
WAIT!  WHAT???  From the comments here on this board (especially from you Clean), one would only assume that it is MAGA hat wearing trumpaloo, gun-toting protestors at the MI courthouse idiots that are ignorant, selfish and stoopid to expose others.  These relatives of yours obviously have poor educations and their teachers need to be berated for failing them.  Did they even graduate HS?  Isn't that your elitist schtick?  That only educated people do the right thing and that if you do the wrong thing, your education must be therefore lacking and is fair game to attack.  Ammiright, Clean?  

Latest posts