Microsoft called me to say I had a virus

luminary

Anarchist
Just had a call from someone saying they were Microsoft support and that my PC was infected and "about to stop".

Curiously, I had at the same time been corresponding with MS support, someone with an Indian name, about viruses, and the guy on the phone had coincidentally, an Indian accent. So I think maybe these things are related and legit. However, before I got asked any odd questions, phone went dead.

What do you think?

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Just had a call from someone saying they were Microsoft support and that my PC was infected and "about to stop".

Curiously, I had at the same time been corresponding with MS support, someone with an Indian name, about viruses, and the guy on the phone had coincidentally, an Indian accent. So I think maybe these things are related and legit. However, before I got asked any odd questions, phone went dead.

What do you think?

Sounds more like a phone problem

What do you think?
Stev don't worry no one is blaming you for quitting

use a "AV" and get back to work

it's not like everyone didn't already know

it's just that people who paid you 4X for a lesser product will never admit having a virus

they just run their AV and STFU about the farce
laugh.gif

ozzy58

Super Anarchist
I think some scam attempts come from call centres in that part of the world.

after all, they have enough personal data to do their job

i would guess phishing on the side or selling info / tipping off others would have a better marginal return than the main job

I had one security related call re visa card from phillipines where my bank call centre is

when I called another area in oz to respond, too many gaps in what had been said to me started to show

I will always call back to another related area in my home country as a double check

how can handing data to overseas call centres be 100% safe ?

one can always expect opportunists, especially where wages are low and not in line with the value attached to their tasking

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some scam attempts come from call centres in that part of the world.

after all, they have enough personal data to do their job

i would guess phishing on the side would have a better marginal return than the main job

I had one security related call re visa card from phillipines where my bank call centre is

when I called another area in oz to respond, too many gaps in what had been said to me started to show

I will always call back to another related area in my home country as a double check

how can handing data over to call centres be 100% safe ?

one can always expect opportunists, especially where wages are low and not in line with the value Of the information they are handling

fixed

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
The answer to such a call is..."People like you really piss me off!!" and then hang up

Microsoft does not have phone rooms full of people calling to inform customers there are viruses on their computers.

it never happens because no Microsoft smployee is calling.

[email protected]@@!!!!!

You nae not special. You are the the first person Microsoft has ever called.

They won't be caling you

ever!!

If your curiosity is killing you about the possiblilty it could be a real call, visit the microsoft website and check it out for yourself.

Crusoe

Its been going on for a while here, mainly targets the oldies who get confused and hand over card details. They only take about $200 but have been calling thousands of people

We had the same thing - they rang during the day and told my wife about the viruses on her computer until she pointed out that she uses a mac but she told them I use a PC so they should ring up later. Silly bastard did and tried to talk me through my system to show me where the viruses where and what I should do (directed me to a site and tried to get me to download some software) - not a very smart guy as I kept him on the phone for 30 minutes until I told him that I knew it was a scam :lol:

sadolph

Super Anarchist
Ottawa, Canada
If you have some time to burn and you want to provide the appropriate feedback, just stay on the line and be a total pain in the ass. Hassle them, feed them with BS. Waste their time.

It's a scam.