huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
image.png

must be a photo before but put up for finishing first

bushsailor

Anarchist
QLD Australia
fascinating race. A disadvantage of being ahead with such nasty wind holes. Happened to both Maserati and Skorpios.

Impressive efforts from Caro, Daguet 3, Innos, and Sunshine.

Innos a HH42 out sailing the TP52s!!!!

Sunshine a JPK 1180 showing awesome downwind speed for a IRC shitter. They must be a great design.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Great result for Comanche the Big Indian is still king for now. ! Argo went in as favorites and well done to them for getting around this tricky course. 

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
this would def be the first time Big C got anywhere near handicap win. horses for courses, and super impressive to see it beat something similar yet 25 ft bigger.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
The big light patch West of Sicily is expected to fill in nicely about 12 hours from now...  Might see a low-rated IRC6 boat rise up the rankings toward the finish.  Jangada as a random example.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
this would def be the first time Big C got anywhere near handicap win. horses for courses, and super impressive to see it beat something similar yet 25 ft bigger.
Yes great win for the Indian. They took advantage of Skorpios parking up in a windless hole and the rest is history.  And Comanche trolled Skorpios the whole race when they were in 2nd position and they were also faster in certain conditions. Full credit to Mitch Booth who has taken over the boat for the new owner. 

M26

Anarchist
bar
Well done Argo.

I wonder what happened to Maserati,

The two MOD70s were right with each other for most of the race. 
Maybe it has to do something with the fact that one is foiling and the other is not... or something else.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Embarrassing for Scorpios to be beaten by a nearly decade old boat that's 25% smaller...
Perhaps.? I saw some of Kyle Langfords footage of Comanche sailing during the race. Wow the thing was surfing and the bow is nearly always out of the water, I think this boat is a one in a million. I think Skorpios maybe able to sail slightly higher sustained speeds but she wouldn't plane like Comanche. Kudos to VPLP for designing a boat that loved the conditions the Middle Sea Race presented this year. They broke the record by 7 hours and won IRC Overall. Off the wind and with her beam and form factor she is so powerful. These were the Indians conditions and she is the King for now. 

can-UK

Dubai
I’m surprised that Ultime Emotion wasn’t more competitive against the MOD70s.  Was she sailed with an amateur crew?  She finished minutes ahead of Comanche and several hours behind the MOD70s.

Yellowbrick has Ultime Emotion and the MOD70s on the same rating.

I thought she was longer and lighter than a MOD.. maybe shes setup for solo sailing with a shorter mast.

Last edited by a moderator:

M26

Anarchist
bar
I’m surprised that Ultime Emotion wasn’t more competitive against the MOD70s.  Was she sailed with an amateur crew?  She finished minutes ahead of Comanche and several hours behind the MOD70s.

Yellowbrick has Ultime Emotion and the MOD70s on the same rating.

I thought she was longer and lighter than a MOD.. maybe shes setup for solo sailing with a shorter mast.
I think at one point on the way to Lampedusa Comanche was even in front of UE2...   From the beginning they could not keep the pace of the MOD's, they had a very bad angle upwind and even in DW conditions they didn't show much.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
The angle of the waves in the video looks like they were very close to DDW. Even at these speeds I expected a hotter angle.
Wind directions can change much quicker than sea states. Typically these boats will sail at a 135°-145°TWA

Latest posts