Mighty Merloe

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist
Spotted in Ventura at the Launch ramp of all places.
20C85429-D34A-483B-A81E-4520670DCFB1.jpeg

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist
Ventura dock scuttlebutt, was that the new owner was transiting Mighty Merlot from somewhere to somewhere and hit Anacapa (?). Damage to one Ama, crushed hull visible. Heading to LA for repairs.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
Ventura dock scuttlebutt, was that the new owner was transiting Mighty Merlot from somewhere to somewhere and hit Anacapa (?). Damage to one Ama, crushed hull visible. Heading to LA for repairs.
We have two threads going on this. I just posted in the Backstory thread my observation of MM and a conversation with Donald Lawson.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
from the other thread
Thursday afternoon I went down to the ramp to check it out. There is damage all along the full length of the port ama at the waterline. The port rudder is also damaged. I spoke to the owner and asked what happened. He said that he ran aground on a reef at Anacapa Island. I am very familiar with Anacapa Island and know of no offshore reefs. Many years ago Christine, a LA large mono racer, bumped it's keel at the west end. So, I asked, "were you at the west end or the east end?" He thought a moment, hesitated, and then said he was at the east end. There is an arch rock and a pinnacle at the east end, but both are well above the sea surface. There is Cat rock on the south shore, but again, it also is well above the sea surface. I don't know what he hit, but he was on his way up from SD, hit Anacapa early Thursday morning, and had to be pulled into Ventura by BoatUS. Friday morning he left to go back to LA under his own power after being helped out of Ventura Harbor by BoatUS. He said he was going to Cabrillo Boat Shop.

Donald Lawson was friendly and approachable. But, rightfully so, he seemed quite dejected. Also, Mighty Merloe had a dirty bottom and only adequately maintained. My impression is that the poor guy may be in way over his head. But that is only an impression and I don't have any facts to support it other than one, brief conversation and eyeballing the boat.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah, he ran aground somewhere on the Delta and parked in on a boat ramp on Treasure Island IIRC to patch it up. He should trade MM in on a Mac26...

Reactions: LMI

Bill Gibbs

Anarchist
An ORMA 60 is an overpowered beast for a full crew of ORMA experienced sailors. The gear required for the rigging loads is huge and expensive. Everything on the boat is huge and expensive, to repair or replace. The people who singlehand them successfully are both experienced and crazy, IMO. I would have guessed novice errors to be gear breakage and capsizing, not running aground.

"The current record holders are IDEC 3, skippered by Francis Joyon in 40 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds for a crewed journey, and François Gabart with Macif in 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds for a solo journey."

karst

ive had several conversations with him over the years. MM will die a slow, agonizing death. She’s a great boat but my feeling is it’ll be hard to justify the cost to repair by the time Donald is done with her.

Whoever his benefactors are aren’t really doing him any favors.

Latest posts