Mini-Split Air Conditioning Anarchy

mikewof

mikewof
Yea, Nar.
If a dealership doesn't honor their warranty in a way that is compliant with the Magnusson-Moss Act, then send a certified letter to the maintenance manager, and inform him or her that you expect your vehicle's warranty to be honored or you will contact your regional office of the Federal Trade Commission. Assuming you didn't totally screw the pooch with your DIY maintenance and repair, they have to honor that warranty in a way that complies with U.S. Law.

Here is the link. https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/regional-offices

mikewof

mikewof
Had a three unit system installed one year ago.  Total silent operation.  Our power bill for the Summer was $50 less than the year before using loud, bulky portable units.  Best thing we ever spent money on.
Do you ever use the mini-splits for heating too?

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Do you ever use the mini-splits for heating too?

The best thing we did was pay an extra 400 or so dollars to add heating!!  When it's in the mid-'60s when I get up in the morning, I just turn on the heat for half-hour to an hour, and it's up to 70, without burning oil to heat the rest of the house, or propane in the gas log fireplace, which is shut off for summer now anyway.

For how many square feet is that?   Our 1,400 SF Ranch House required 2.75 Tons or 33,000 BTU and rather than settling for the 2-ton initially offered, we upped it to 3, for less money from a different Contractor..
My rental just under 1,000 Sq'

Last summer was a relative Scorcher and ran the Split often

I grimaced as I opened the electric bill

Hardly any difference and it is Low

Ya can't beat a mini split

But they are to do a room not a house

Get one sized for each room you need to control. 

Whole house Heat/AC is a waste if you are not in/using 60-80% of the house

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
My rental just under 1,000 Sq'

Last summer was a relative Scorcher and ran the Split often

I grimaced as I opened the electric bill

Hardly any difference and it is Low

Ya can't beat a mini split

But they are to do a room not a house

Get one sized for each room you need to control. 

Whole house Heat/AC is a waste if you are not in/using 60-80% of the house

In our case, with a one-floor, open-plan Ranch house, we did not have to do that.  The air flows naturally down the hall from the Living-Dining room towards the bedrooms and baths.  A little assistance with a waist-high pedestal fan in the hallway is all we need when it is really hot and humid.  Fortunately, there are a lot of large shade trees due south, which really helps keep the house cooler than otherwise. Also, at 210 feet above sea level, we often get cooling breezes not found at lower altitudes.