Mini Transat 2017

Miffy

Super Anarchist
There's no minimum requirement in the normal water. Skippers can bring as little as they want. Rule focuses on volume limit for containers to prevent water ballasting. 

The rules are not a secret.

DRINKING RESERVES

Drinking reserves volume is every skipper’s own responsibility. 3 litres/100NM per person seems reasonable.

The volume of authorized containers must not exceed 4 litres per 100 NM per person, rounded up to the next multiple of 20.

Means to decant water, that can be used on each drinking water container, shall be provided.

When there are several legs with different lengths, the excess containers necessary for the longest leg must be loaded empty and sealed for the other legs. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Which is why I'm puzzled by suggestions that the skippers dump water. The only practice I've ever heard of was using empty containers to fill with seawater as extra ballast. 

Never seen anyone dump fresh water they chose to bring along. 

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Breeze filling in from the east over the next day should get at least the leading boats home before it shuts down again in a few days.  I'll bet they'll all be happy to finish the drift-fest.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Damn, they keep tweaking the rules, Buck is right. Own responsibility, but I think if you show only 10 litres you will not be allowed to start :) There is something as common sense.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Leger sailed into a large and persistent hole yesterday allowing Ian to make up his 20 mile deficit.  He now leads by one mile and they are both going roughly the same speed now.  It should make for an intense finish.  I'm still pulling for Leger.    In the series class the top four boats are 3,4,5,6 overall.  You see if often, but I never really understood why series class could be so fast in conditions against protos.  They are heavier, have shorter masts/booms/bowsprits, so I wouldn't expect them to shine in this drift fest.  The only advantages I can see for them is they are simpler allowing skippers to spend more time with their heads out of the boat, they possibly spend less time in the shop which allows more time on the water and I also think there's a one design factor.  I could be totally wrong of course, but trying to put my finger on it.  Either way, it's impressive.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Lipinski and Leger both showing 8.2 miles from the finish!  Leger: 6.8 knots, Lipinski: 4.8 knots.  According to the wind app on the map, Leger has a much better wind angle.  It's possible Ian may have to gybe to make the finish which would be really bad for him.  Nail biter.

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
The mini transat Facebook page just posted a livestream of Lipinski crossings ahead by not much more than 5 boatlengths

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Looks like Lipinski took this leg by only a few minutes.  He and Leger are both finished now.  Crazy ending.

lakeneuch

Europe
Less than 2 min difference... nice finish

Gautier will probably come in third, very nice result being in front of all these protos. 

Go 824!

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Nice finish...

RFinn, the design factor is there too, every proto is designed for higher top speed, so less rocker, so more wetted area, so more hull drag.

That shows in the light. You hate it as proto sailor...

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Most protos tend to be designed to maximize gains in the next leg sailing in the trades. Even with the proto benefits, the boat is still sailed by a sailor w/ limited weather data. Hard to maximize proto gains when you're not able to find steady conditions that maximize your VMG benefits.

popov

On the Water Topic:

Erwan Le mené on a facebook live of its arrival just asking the others skippers:

"No one was thirsty?

Nobody threw away his water and ended up with nothing?

I was really without anything: no more food, no fuel, no more cigarettes ... Hey good! Give me one of yours ...

Yesterday in the becalm I would have sold my boat for a cigarette!"

Haligonian Winterr

Super Anarchist
Halifax, NS
The rules are not a secret.

DRINKING RESERVES

Drinking reserves volume is every skipper’s own responsibility. 3 litres/100NM per person seems reasonable.

The volume of authorized containers must not exceed 4 litres per 100 NM per person, rounded up to the next multiple of 20.

Means to decant water, that can be used on each drinking water container, shall be provided.

When there are several legs with different lengths, the excess containers necessary for the longest leg must be loaded empty and sealed for the other legs. 
Also includes 

E-18-b-1 Containers' contents and seals (if any) can be checked at any time from 24 hours before the start and after crossing the finish line, until notified as cleared by the measurer.

Although RRS 51 doesn't apply, the "seals" aspect in terms of emergency water, liferaft, grab bag etc. is in reference to their caps and tie-down points. Can't stack them. So any weight you bring in emergency is with you 'till the end.

HW

Latest posts