Mission Impossible?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Okay, more like setting out on a wing and a prayer.

Spotted this CL ad from someone wanting a few sailing lessons so they can successfully navigate from Puget Sound to Portland OR - by Oct 1: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/tacoma-in-need-of-sailing-lessons/7381827338.html

Sounds like they have no sailing experience - And they want to do it on their Kaufman 46.  I assume it is newly acquired since there was a Kaufman 46 for sale in the Tacoma area a couple of months ago for something like $15k.  Cool boat but it is an IOR beast replete with winch farm.  Photod below.

Someone may correct me, but I believe the boat had been on sitting on the hard for a long time.  So probably a lot of deferred maintenance.  And people with no sailing experience who snap up these boats because they look like a lot of boat for the money generally aren't aware of what needs R&M and the associated time and costs.

I hope someone can talk some sense into them because this sound like a very high risk venture to me.

886640.jpg

00x0x_4CcqzlfmfKh_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
You could tell them that a calendar is the most dangerous thing to have on a boat.

Me too, but I'm too far away to actually check out the boat.
I doubt they would take unsolicited advice from a CL reply.

I do hope someone bonafide takes up their offer to learn and is able to convince them of the folly of their plans - or better yet that the people come to that realization on their own after a few proper lessons

What I don't want to happen is that some charlatan with little knowledge of their own ends up enabling them - for a small additional fee of course.  For their "Advanced Offshore Sailing" course

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Someone should tell them that that coast is called "The Graveyard Of The Pacific" for good reason.

There are literally thousands of ships littering the floor of the Columbia bar - that's ships, not counting small boats.

Foolhardy doesn't begin to describe their plans.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
The Columbia Bar. Inside the bar is a great place to crab year 'round with high limits, three pots per person and plenty big Dungeness crab. You can add your limit of Red Rock crab to that if you desire.

I am always watching my bearings, do NOT want to somehow drift across the bar.  Typically, from the inside, you will see white water clear across the bar. Can't say how much is standing, breaking seas or regular breaking seas. Keeps you alert.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
That's where they asked for help, so it's not purely unsolicited.

If you're really concerned, I'll let them know about this thread for you, if you like.
They didn't ask for advice - they wanted to pay someone to enable their planned voyage.

My guess here is that they live in Portland and "stole" a huge nice looking boat in Tacoma but hadn't given too much thought about how to get it to Portland - which is less than 150 miles away on the I5. 

Realized their F-150 and trailer for their jet-ski wasn't up to the task.  Got a few quotes from truckers to haul it. 

Jaws hit the ground - "what, it 's going to cost 1/4 of the purchase price just to move it less than 150 miles?"  Heck, why not sail it down for free and have some fun too?

Or at least that is how I see how things went down here.

I'm not that concerned since I have no idea of who these people are - and as Wetbehindtheears impiled these types are like whack-a-moles and you can't save all of them from themselves.

The only reason I posted this one is because most people don't go to these lengths to advertise their folly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Well on the optimistic side, maybe they are great big boat and small boat lake sailors, with decades of experience who want someone to give them a quick review of thier (already learned) navigation skills.

Then again, a truck ride might be awful inexpensive option compared to the possible alternatives.  

DELETED

Anarchist
Sending them a link to this thread is a good idea, well done. 

Looks like a nice boat. 
I would be tempted to suggest they find and experienced sailor to do the delivery and they go as crew. Maiden voyage is never a good time to learn nav managment also.Then upon arriving at Portland they take their time to self learn or better still visit a sail school and do a course. Nice to see people here concerned and willing to offer advice, good onyas. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Park the boat in Olympia, commute to Oregon,  and wait till next July
Best advice so far - it's only 100 miles or so - easily done for weekends of work.

Haj is flying across the freakin' continent to fix Improbable. So did the Schaefer guy when he did the Cal 40.

Besides, Portland ain't much of a place to keep a big sailboat - river sailing an offshore racer?