MMSI and other transfers - new boat from Italy

1sailor

Super Anarchist
Importing a new to me TP52  from Italy which has a series of electronics that i'll need to register in the USA for safety and to meet NOR requirements for various distance events

We are dealing with a fixed mount VHF, a couple handheld VHF, an EasyTrax AIS unit, and a couple EPIRB units, including one I have from previous boat.

Could anyone direct me to a straightforward resource on these tasks, hopefully in bullet-point non wordy format so that my A.D.D. and C-student mindset can get thru this without counseling please ?

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Importing a new to me TP52  from Italy which has a series of electronics that i'll need to register in the USA for safety and to meet NOR requirements for various distance events

We are dealing with a fixed mount VHF, a couple handheld VHF, an EasyTrax AIS unit, and a couple EPIRB units, including one I have from previous boat.

Could anyone direct me to a straightforward resource on these tasks, hopefully in bullet-point non wordy format so that my A.D.D. and C-student mindset can get thru this without counseling please ?
Don’t know how they do it in the  US 

I take the equipment to a licensed   GMDSS  technician 

he reprograms the MMSI number , does a test transmission then  issues a certificate 

on some equipment you can change the mmsi by entering the service protocol menu of the equipment and changing it 

contact the equipment manufacturer for guidance  

Wemedge

Detroit
You can obtain a new MMSI through the US Power Squadron website. Entering it into your equipment is easy enough following manufacturer instructions, however some devices will require a previously issued number to be cleared by the manufacturer or a service shop. 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Getting a new number is the easy part. Each piece of electronics will have different methods to change number. Some can be done with a computer/program attached, some have to go back to national importer.  EPIRBS are permanently coded to country of original sale!! They send message to that countries emergency center, which must then contact the country where the signal originates. Adds time/complexity to the process. Better off buying new units locally.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Getting a new number is the easy part. Each piece of electronics will have different methods to change number. Some can be done with a computer/program attached, some have to go back to national importer.  EPIRBS are permanently coded to country of original sale!! They send message to that countries emergency center, which must then contact the country where the signal originates. Adds time/complexity to the process. Better off buying new units locally.
Yes indeed 

many times Epirbs get cancelled , then destroyed and replaced 

your electronic shop can advise 

as far as I know European  equipment is blank off the shelf then programmed to the individual boat with numbers supplied by the flag state 

Seems  American equipment is pre programmed the you register this mmsi  to your boat 

best ask 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
MMSI is individual to boat, programmed by initial buyer. The country code is internal and not changeable. The unit will still work with a new MMSI, but response a bit slower as report gets shuttled around rescue centers.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
MMSI is individual to boat, programmed by initial buyer. The country code is internal and not changeable. The unit will still work with a new MMSI, but response a bit slower as report gets shuttled around rescue centers.
I don’t know , I always send the equipment off 

https://www.marinepanservice.com/en/glossario/programmazione-epirb

i do know that mmsi numbers are in short supply and must be recycled 

The old number…previous flag state must be cancelled and a new number from your new flag state must be used 

57FE0173-C95F-400C-9852-E4E09DA309D2.png

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Read the 2nd to last paragraph of your first post - and 2nd para of your 2nd post. Both clearly state that units are hard coded to a country specific rescue center.

seaker

Maine
You can obtain a new MMSI through the US Power Squadron website. Entering it into your equipment is easy enough following manufacturer instructions, however some devices will require a previously issued number to be cleared by the manufacturer or a service shop. 
Only if you are not going to go to other countries. The USPS number is only valid in the US.