Mobo driver apologises -

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I know that cross posting between forums is frowned upon.... however, over at YBW a sailor using a classic Solent anchorage had his afternoon soiled by a big mobo owner using his Williams jet tenderto tow children on a doughnot through the moorings. The word blasting was used.

I read the OP and though the thread starter was pissing in the wind expecting a response.

However, l credit to the Mobo owner.... some-one made him aware of the thread and he came on to apologise and, in some measure, attempt to justify his actions ......by saying that the doughnut does not tow well at low speeds. Thereby opening up a whole new can of worms.

There is a designated swimming area but there are usually lots of kids and elderly people in canoes, dinghies, inflatables, canoes etc around the anchorage on a hot day.

rather interesting I thought.

Dylan

PS - some mobo drivers on both sides of the atlantic rather took against me for including too many shots of a mobos and thier washes in one of my films

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That's a first in my 50 years on the water.

My experience is that MoBo owners are either completely clueless about what they leave in their wake or you'll get a "Fuck you, you don't own the water".

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I currently own a fairly big (31' or about 8 tons) motorboat that can leave mighty wake. It can for example, throw an Opti & kid cleanly into the air. I try pretty hard to not disturb others with either noise or wake.

Some motorboat drivers are curteous. OTOH making wakes is built into what they do. Rather few understand that just how annoying, disruptive, and potentially dangerous their wake is, and they're just riding around. You don't own the water! If I had a helicopter, I could hover right over you all the time too. It's just what I do having fun in my helicopter.

The response to videos of them acting like assholes is typical. We get much the same thing to videos of speeders in our community. "What gives you the right to make a fool of me in public?" Well, the fact that you were acting like an asshole. Don't want people to see video of you acting like an asshole? Don't do it in the first place.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
I suspect a percentage of mobo drivers never look astern - "you're supposed to keep your eyes on the road in front of you!" - and have no idea what havoc their wakes wreak. One mobo in my waters, a 35'-ish, deep V, modern, cruiser, always slows down a bit and comes off plane when he passes my mooring...creating a worse wake than when he was up on plane. I think he means well. I know where he lives (he's a neighbour) but I'm trying to figure out how to gently educate him about wakes...

... I'm trying to figure out how to gently educate him about wakes...

Be straight with him - he's already aware, and thus unlikely to be defensive. If you tell him that you see him trying and really appreciate that, and (insert how to/how not to info here), he'll get it without misunderstanding.

Point out that he is the exception in even trying/caring, and finish with buying him a favorite beverage of choice along with a heartfelt "Thanks" given from all of us who are otherwise getting tossed about on occasion. :)

One sunny day years ago in the Trincomali Channel, Gulf islands we happened to be beating upwind in a sporty northwesterly. The few bigger powerboats around were displaying their usual assholery by cutting close across our bow and kicking up stupid wakes in the short steep seas of the day.
The Taconite (a classic icon of the PNW) was motoring downwind when it came to a complete stop to let us cross, gave us a toot once we were past and went on its merry way. Needless to say when we got over the shock we waved our arm sockets off.
On another level class act that doesn’t happen often, that’s for sure.

Then again maybe they just wanted to indulge in a giggle over the broken leech line on the flappy jib.

On a side note I found that making an obvious show of taking photographs of the culprits with big telephoto lens will occasionally slow them down. Acting is hard work though so I don’t do it often.

accnick

Super Anarchist
OTOH, some years ago I was daysailing on Narragansett bay with a coupe of guests in their mid 80's. A big, fast, modern classic motorboat, think Hunt/Lyman-Morse, 60+ feet, with NYYC burgee, is flying up the bay.

As they approach they slow down to no wake speed, wave, get past us and hit the throttles.

A class act.
Probably sailors or former sailors. I do pretty much the same thing, although I try to stay far enough away to minimize the impact of my wake in all cases.

A more problematic situation is the
sailboat motoring at 6.5- 7 kt while I’m overtaking at 9 kt or so. I have to go about 8.5 kt to pass that sailboat in some rational timeframe.

At 8.5 kt, my Downeast powerboat throws a hell of a wake. If the motoring sailboat would slow to 5 kt for five minutes, I could pass him at 6.5 kt with minimal wake.

Few motoring sailboats will do that. I end up diverting well around them, but I am still throwing a wake from 50-100 yards away at 8.5 kt.

Of course, at 9-10 kt, I am still victim to the 20 kt go-fast that shows absolutely no indication is slowing. A 20 kt planing boat is no problem. A 20 kt semi-displacement boat, say, a big Sabreliner or big modern pseudo-Downeast—is another thing entirely. I end up turning into their wake just as I would with a sailboat.

A little common sense and common courtesy goes a long way in these situations.

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
I have been a little surprised that some motorboats drove right though anchorages of sailboats, at speed enough to kill, but slow enough to throw a big wake. Think pangas transporting paying guests in Panamá or dive boats heading to the passes in Fakarava atoll in the Tuamotus. They could easily go around the anchorage, but choose to go straight through leaving scores of sailboats rocking and rolling. And occasionally they kill someone in the water as happened in Linton Bay in Panamá.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
... ...
A more problematic situation is the
sailboat motoring at 6.5- 7 kt while I’m overtaking at 9 kt or so. I have to go about 8.5 kt to pass that sailboat in some rational timeframe.

At 8.5 kt, my Downeast powerboat throws a hell of a wake. If the motoring sailboat would slow to 5 kt for five minutes, I could pass him at 6.5 kt with minimal wake.

Few motoring sailboats will do that. I end up diverting well around them, but I am still throwing a wake from 50-100 yards away at 8.5 kt.

Very common on the ICW. I always hail them and ask if they would like a slow pass and on which side. Often the sailboaters motoring up/down the ICW either aren't listening or don't care. A lot of them also don't really know the art of the slow pass, which if done right does not take much time or space, the motorboat can firewall it almost immediately.

Latest posts