Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Not the usual kind of thing posted here but I liked the absurd redundancy of the title.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/4514799486.html

As opposed to what? a bathroom vanity mirror?
No no, it's a REAR VIEW water skiing mirror because some people pull the water skiier in front of the boat.

Don't want to confuse 'em.

About the $4900 MacGregor Pow-R-Sail-R (rrrr), I have seen these boats in person, been on a few in fact, but never seen one sailing. It seems to me to be unlikely to perform well enough under sail to ever be worth the trouble of rigging all that sailing crap (you know ropes & strings & rags). OTOH it seems like a comfy enough cheap little motorboat weekender.

FB- Doug

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Doug, it would surprise you like it did me. It really does not sail like it looks like it would. I can't explain it, but I'm telling you that we tacked, we gybed, we reached along at decent speed. It didn't point high, but had no trouble getting through a tack. It really felt more like a sailboat than the big powersailers. It looks even less like a sailboat, which is pretty difficult to pull off.

This is the one I sold. Have you ever seen a bow anything like that on a sailboat? I can post hundreds of powerboat bows just like it.

macgregor19.jpg

No Bargers

miscut jib said:
nice deal for whomever donated the boat to Boat Angels... not such a nice deal for BA
While whoever donated the boat got someone to haul it away, the amount they can deduct as a donation on their tax return will only be the amount BA received in the auction.

Not really that much of a tax deduction.

Touch of Gray

Super Anarchist
Puget Sound
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/4475103178.html

This isn't that bad really but as a BC resident, of a certain age, ferrocement boats always warm my heart. Also, it's "90% Complete" which of course depends very much on where you start!
The engine order telegraph is worth the price by itself! Wonder if the midget that rings up the answer comes with the boat? Oh and the dinghy davits are pretty classy.

TOG

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Doug, it would surprise you like it did me. It really does not sail like it looks like it would. I can't explain it, but I'm telling you that we tacked, we gybed, we reached along at decent speed. It didn't point high, but had no trouble getting through a tack. It really felt more like a sailboat than the big powersailers. It looks even less like a sailboat, which is pretty difficult to pull off.

This is the one I sold. Have you ever seen a bow anything like that on a sailboat? I can post hundreds of powerboat bows just like it.

macgregor19.jpg
Well, trying not to give way to prejudice but I have seen the things sailing... yes they can make some ground to windward and probably do so under a wider range of conditions than the big sister; the proportions are closer to a functional sailboat. But how much fun is it? I would hate to have Opti kids sailing circles around me.

OTOH as a floating base for an afternoon of kayaking, swimming, Opti-ing, etc etc, it would be great. Especially for the money. I'd think hard about a tri-toon though, and maybe rigging a dipping lug on it to keep from being so dependent on fossil fuel.

FB- Doug

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
I used to drive a Merit 28, #5000 on a double axle trailer. We pulled it from the dry slip to hoist behind a lawn tractor... roughly 8 hp iirc. St Pete Sailing Center moves dry sailed boats around with a couple electric golf carts.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Theres enough tongue weight on trailers you don't need 4 wheel drive. Get a small lawn tractor, most have a low 1st gear. 8-10 horse is enough. It'll be pretty slow, so you won't want to pull further than a couple hundred feet.

hard aground

Super Anarchist
One of the members designed and built a 4 wheel electric dolly. It works except the wheels will spin in the gravel and it's slow. Slow is okay sometimes, but on Sunday morning before racing it's nice to get the boats in a bit quicker.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Middle of the prairies, landlocked Saskatchewan has more Kijjiji listings for sailboats than Newfoundland, surrounded by the sea, including a Dash 34 and also this project to mock.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/saskatoon/roberts-30-motor-sailer-project/587615798?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Great work Norse Horse. The first one seems fair except lacking expert naval architecture knowledge I can't confirm my suspicion that this motorsailer is apt to sail as unscintillatingly as a McGregor without any of the convenience. As for the trimaran, I'm concerned the seller thinks it's a catamaran. Any buyer should make sure to get it in writing that both potato blighted amas are part of the deal. Also, upon completion that person should name the boat "Bud the Spud".