Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Well, trying not to give way to prejudice but I have seen the things sailing... yes they can make some ground to windward and probably do so under a wider range of conditions than the big sister; the proportions are closer to a functional sailboat. But how much fun is it? I would hate to have Opti kids sailing circles around me.

OTOH as a floating base for an afternoon of kayaking, swimming, Opti-ing, etc etc, it would be great. Especially for the money. I'd think hard about a tri-toon though, and maybe rigging a dipping lug on it to keep from being so dependent on fossil fuel.

FB- Doug

You're asking the wrong guy whether it's fun. Remember, I sail a Sun Cat and manage to find that fun. Poor sailing performance does not equate to lack of fun for me. Sailing = fun, and that includes the time I sailed my 15 Whaler across Biscayne Bay using the Bimini top as a square rig.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I'm sure I have pics of that cart, but none were easy to find. It's basically the same cart as mine, minus the rear seat, lift kit, bigger tires, and cowdog.
And it tows nice? What kind of capacities?
Using a golf cart as a tow vehicle is golf cart abuse. The maroon one in the previous pics was used to move a Catalina 25 once, but we kept weight on the trailer's tongue wheel.

I use mine to move my Sun Cat around, to ramp-launch my Hobie Adventure Islands or aluminum skiff, and to clear branches when I trim trees. The branch clearing is probably the worst golf cart abuse. We broke some suspension parts once doing this.

yard-trailer-loaded.jpg

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Well, trying not to give way to prejudice but I have seen the things sailing... yes they can make some ground to windward and probably do so under a wider range of conditions than the big sister; the proportions are closer to a functional sailboat. But how much fun is it? I would hate to have Opti kids sailing circles around me.

OTOH as a floating base for an afternoon of kayaking, swimming, Opti-ing, etc etc, it would be great. Especially for the money. I'd think hard about a tri-toon though, and maybe rigging a dipping lug on it to keep from being so dependent on fossil fuel.

FB- Doug

You're asking the wrong guy whether it's fun. Remember, I sail a Sun Cat and manage to find that fun. Poor sailing performance does not equate to lack of fun for me. Sailing = fun, and that includes the time I sailed my 15 Whaler across Biscayne Bay using the Bimini top as a square rig.
No, you're not the wrong guy. That's a good answer. Fun is whatever you think it is.

In a discussion like this, "sailing performance" doesn't equal speed. Mostly I mean the ability of the boat to balance properly on different points of sail. Many sailors take this for granted because rather few boats designed in the past 40 years behave so poorly.

I've sailed a couple different Com-Pacs too, they're slow but they sail just fine. OTOH the Rebel (once a not-small one-design class) is a boat that has some speed but steers quirkily and is difficult to get it to go to windward. Still a few around. Boats like this are why classes like the Lightning and Thistle and Comet were so renowned... they actually sail like you want them to.

Yesterday evening I spent a couple hours tacking around our creek with my wife in our AMF Puffer. Yeah I'd make a great elitist for sailing performance :mellow:

FB- Doug

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
We did not sail all that long, but I don't remember any balance problems. I remember being surprised at how much like a normal sailboat it felt. "Normal" meaning comparable, like a Precision 18 or something. The P-18 feels exactly like a normal sailboat of that size and type should to me. The Mac 19 was not that, but was a surprisingly close approximation.

I also very clearly remember the "full throttle" portion of that sea trial. Geezus. It felt very much like a real small powerboat. Bouncy and quick. But we had a damn MAST up there rattling around. The mast was far more disconcerting at that speed than it was in any of the 26 footers I ever drove. A real 19 foot powerboat, of course, would have a bigger engine and would be what a powerboat should be, but again the Mac 19 was a surprisingly close approximation.

My conclusion: building a 19' powersailer is a less bad idea than building a 26 foot one, if I'm your target market. But I still won't buy one.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
There is a bit of an object lesson about getting caught considering a limited field of options. It's perfectly possible to rig a Mac-type boat with a mast not much larger than a normal powerboat type flagstaff. The Macs used a Marconi, and a fractional at that, which requires the tallest mast of any type.

I understand it probably would have been a sales debacle to try to foist a gaff, lug, lateen or whatever on the Mac-buying public, but it cost the the chance to get more area on a lower CoE, and better all-around performance except to windward. The Macs don't have the stability to shine upwind with any rig.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
There is a bit of an object lesson about getting caught considering a limited field of options. It's perfectly possible to rig a Mac-type boat with a mast not much larger than a normal powerboat type flagstaff. The Macs used a Marconi, and a fractional at that, which requires the tallest mast of any type.

I understand it probably would have been a sales debacle to try to foist a gaff, lug, lateen or whatever on the Mac-buying public, but it cost the the chance to get more area on a lower CoE, and better all-around performance except to windward. The Macs don't have the stability to shine upwind with any rig.
I forgot to mention... we were absolutely FLYING upwind at full throttle, making the wind whistling through the rigging as the mast rattled around even more disconcerting.

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Somebody please mock this so badly that I don't buy it.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/4522446061.html

Please. I'm a polynavicular morbus sufferer and I'm in real danger here.

Nope, that's a good price for a Daysailer 1 and trailer. You'd need to build new benches, and floorboards, not that hard. New sails and rigging would be about $1000. Add a little paint and you'd have a $3500 boat for $1600.

Ishmael

Granfallooner
Fuctifino

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Somebody please mock this so badly that I don't buy it.

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/4522446061.html

Please. I'm a polynavicular morbus sufferer and I'm in real danger here.

Nope, that's a good price for a Daysailer 1 and trailer. You'd need to build new benches, and floorboards, not that hard. New sails and rigging would be about $1000. Add a little paint and you'd have a $1000 boat for $1600.
Fixed.
Hmmm.

Hardware? Standing rigging? Foils?

I bet the best thing about that boat is the hull, and you can see what -it's- like.

If you have an extra small outboard laying around, you could make a nice little slow runabout out of this; but to turn it back into a sailboat is going to be a heck of a lot of work and money. Easier to build from scratch. Don't make the mistake of thinking that "hull = boat" ... ... ... the hull is only about 15~20% of the cost & value of a real operable boat.

FB- Doug

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Not so sure about that, Semi. If that trailer is really aluminum and is roadworthy at all, it's worth what he's asking. Lighter than the one under my skiff, too, so it would be easier on the golf cart.

$250? Way too much for the condition of the boat.

I was once given a Rhodes 19 by someone it did a quick favor for. It had seats, sails, and a trailer. I just had to paint the bottom, put new tires on the trailer, register the boat and trailer and replace the standing and running rigging (a friend and I cut and swedged the rigging at the local West Marine). So, my free boat actually cost a several hundred dollars.

It was probably the most fun boat I ever owned! I worked right on the Alameda Estuary and took it sailing about 3 or 4 times a week after work. :D