Mocking Ads on Craigslist

hobot

Super Anarchist
Funky color for sure, centerboard accidently burned so you must build another one, strange looking stern railing (r/stern qtr pic), LeFille mast, the jet drive(!) and a really wonky transom.

I like it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Funky color for sure, centerboard accidently burned so you must build another one, strange looking stern railing (r/stern qtr pic), LeFille mast, the jet drive(!) and a really wonky transom.

I like it!
Jet drives are less efficient than propellers, but I think it's clever on this boat.

Hang an outboard off the end of a boat like that and there's going to be trouble keeping it in the water in waves. Even a 25" shaft will allow ventilation and/or dunking of the powerhead. But a jet drive doesn't care if it's in the water. The intake part must be in the water, of course, but that's easily accomplished. If the jet drive output is above water level, it doesn't matter. It's still pushing a shit load of water one way and you'll still go the other way.

The other advantage of jet drives: no disposable impeller that will fail at the worst moment. The water pump IS the water pump. If it fails due to overheating, you have a much bigger problem than a disposable impeller, but at least such failures are rare.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
Mockworthy ad.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/4572831007.html

smoking some ganja and posting on craigslist never fares well.
"I will purchase your item for the price you are for asking. I will pay by certified cashiers check for the amout you are asking, plush the cost of shipping to my offices in Antarctica. My shipping agent will contact you forthwith to arrange transport. Just provide him with the difference in cash to cover shipping and he will pick it up within the week."

That's the response this ad deserves.

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
That response brings back memories of the dozens of responses just like that when I was in the process of selling my last boat.

Curiosity being stronger than common sense, I responded to one of them and after a bunch of back and forth, lo and behold, I received a certified check in the mail for the whole account. Funny thing was that a google search of the address on the check showed an empty lot near Toronto and some checking by a friend in banking revealed that the account was non existant. When I mentioned to the troll that there seemed to be some issues with the check and asked for a bank draft, contact abruptly ceased.

Funny that!

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
That response brings back memories of the dozens of responses just like that when I was in the process of selling my last boat.

Curiosity being stronger than common sense, I responded to one of them and after a bunch of back and forth, lo and behold, I received a certified check in the mail for the whole account. Funny thing was that a google search of the address on the check showed an empty lot near Toronto and some checking by a friend in banking revealed that the account was non existant. When I mentioned to the troll that there seemed to be some issues with the check and asked for a bank draft, contact abruptly ceased.

Funny that!
I did that once. Strung them along for weeks. I even framed the fake check for 20K. It was awesome.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
Only $4300.

%24_20.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/barrie/sailboat-as-is-where-is-all-is-lost/603720077?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Windward

Super Anarchist
$4300?

Sell that gem to someone in Nigeria. They will be all over that.

Freight Forwarders will be by shortly.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Hmmm...I seem to think something may just be a bit out of place here?

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4544305243.html

00k0k_eQhMaI2zhtf_600x450.jpg

From the ad:

We gutted the interior then decided that we need to get on the water more than we need a project so we got a daysailer.
They were going to try to learn to sail on that thing. Having learned on an Opti, I'm of the opinion that it is possible to learn to sail on a poorly performing boat. It can even be fun. But a daysailer is a waaaaaaaay better idea, and I don't care what kind of daysailer he's talking about. With luck, one that will capsize. The most fun boats are the ones that occasionally send you swimming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Hopefully gutting the interior actually added value to the boat. One fears though that unless the interior was a microbiology PhD thesis in the making, they've turned it into an even bigger project for the next owner.