Mocking Ads on Craigslist

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
01414_ldVq4z0Ce9o_600x450.jpg

00909_doQzYblc5rK_600x450.jpg

very cool boat. floats in right around 8 inches of water. around 17 or 18 feet long. the sale is boat only no trailer and no motor included. can possibly deliver depending on your location but there will be an extra charge to cover gas. like new steering cable included. boat is very clean with no leaks whatsoever

http://brunswick.craigslist.org/boa/4650034949.html
Thats so ugly, its almost cute. Might be fun to putt around in protected water with. Beach it in an ox-bow on a river and camp overnight. Would double as a camper when its on a trailer.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
01414_ldVq4z0Ce9o_600x450.jpg

00909_doQzYblc5rK_600x450.jpg

very cool boat. floats in right around 8 inches of water. around 17 or 18 feet long. the sale is boat only no trailer and no motor included. can possibly deliver depending on your location but there will be an extra charge to cover gas. like new steering cable included. boat is very clean with no leaks whatsoever

http://brunswick.craigslist.org/boa/4650034949.html
Why that's a Portapotty 17 I believe, the companies first motorized marine head. Guy in the photo is wondering if it is full yet.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
It looks very well kept. If so, there might be someone out there that just wants to walk into a no-fuss turn-key boat. After all, CL ads are free...

(Yeah, after four weeks, my old laundry unit is about to tip over into the "free stuff" category. :rolleyes: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipe Dream

Anarchist
Aust.
Sad it certainly is. The hull does look good but the cabin seems a bit idiosyncratic. Looking forward from the wheel there's no companionway so it must be aft? I cannot believe how many ferro boats there are around these parts. I was looking at Google Earth at the coast of Lulu Island to see if I could see where this one is stored. There's a yard at the south foot of graybar road that looks possible but I can't pick it out. I have an urge to see this one in person.
I think you're right about the location - Shelter Island on Graybar. Allocate lots of time - that place is FULL of projects in all stages of incompletion.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@49.1622359,-122.9966331,100m/data=!3m1!1e3

In the centre just to the east of a catamaran and just the west of a red thing that may or may not be a boat.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
When your boat is at the west end and three deep you might as well face reality. They wouldn't block up two boats in front of you if they thought you were ever going to move.

Petrouschka

Anyone have any recommendations for this fine fellow?

LOOKING FOR A LIVE A BOARD (TACOMA/SEATTLE)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

I AM LOOKING FOR A YACHT TO RENT AND LIVE ON OR TO BUY ON A OWNER CONTRACT. i CAN AFFORD UP TO $1,000
This is close: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/boa/4654293163.html
And there is this. It's been around a while for sure.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/4672253602.html
The owner of that boat has spent perhaps 2-3 times the asking price of that boat in dock fees in the 3 years it has been listed on CL.

On a related note, earlier this year there was a nice and very clean Gary Mull-designed US 25 (or 22?) located a few slips down from this boat for sale for the same price of $1500. Night and day difference between the two.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
They are very nice little boats and this may well be the best Haida in the world - it looks better than new in the pics BUT...... $24K for a boat that typically goes for $2K to $6K? In THIS market? They better hope there is that one person out there who always wanted a new one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4685845313.html
Did a complete two year refit, including 15 coats of varnish on the sole, and spent about $20,000. Unfortunately, no one explained the "dime on the dollar" rule, so he doesn't realize he added $2,000 to the market value of the boat.

Kind of sad, really. I wonder why he can't take it out and do whatever that refit was intended to prepare for.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The psychology of the used boat market is indeed wonky. If that was a '69 Camaro he did that restoration to it would sell for high 6 figures but because it's a boat it's still "just an old boat" even if it is in actuality brand new or better.

By any measure other than market psychology that boat is a steal at the asking price - if a yard was selling it new it would approach 6 figures and no-one would bat an eye.

Dan33

Super Anarchist
By any measure other than market psychology that boat is a steal at the asking price - if a yard was selling it new it would approach 6 figures and no-one would bat an eye.

I agree...and there is likely more good years of good service left in her than a new boat may provide.

Is the outboard in a well??

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

I agree...and there is likely more good years of good service left in her than a new boat may provide.

Quote - "She is powered by an low maintenance outboard that sits into a well just ahead of the rudder, which not only prevents cavitation in big seas, but also provides for exceptional control under power."

They are good boats and I've always thought the flush deck ones like the posted one are very good looking too. One version had a short, boxy cabintop added for some standing headroom and it ruined the looks of the boat.

I was motoring through Gabriola pass once on my first 20', running with a max tide flow when I saw a Haida running nearby get picked up by a whirlpool and spun a full 360 - gave me a LOT of respect for local conditions.

P.S. - My earlier '69 Camaro reference should have read 5 figures, not 6

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

Quote - "She is powered by an low maintenance outboard that sits into a well just ahead of the rudder, which not only prevents cavitation in big seas, but also provides for exceptional control under power."

They are good boats and I've always thought the flush deck ones like the posted one are very good looking too. One version had a short, boxy cabintop added for some standing headroom and it ruined the looks of the boat.

I was motoring through Gabriola pass once on my first 20', running with a max tide flow when I saw a Haida running nearby get picked up by a whirlpool and spun a full 360 - gave me a LOT of respect for local conditions.

P.S. - My earlier '69 Camaro reference should have read 5 figures, not 6
I was gonna say, there are a couple of old beat-up Camaros around here that could be picked up for a song... could be a nice little business on the side

FB- Doug

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Nope - only the pro shops with high buck clients make money doing it. Everyone in the business says to buy them already done - it's a lot cheaper than doing it, even yourself. Restoring one of those "old, beat-up Camaros" will easily run into 6 digits and return high 5 digits at best except in very special cases like Yenko's.

A proper paint job can easily run $20K alone - AFTER all the bodywork.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
Nope - only the pro shops with high buck clients make money doing it. Everyone in the business says to buy them already done - it's a lot cheaper than doing it, even yourself. Restoring one of those "old, beat-up Camaros" will easily run into 6 digits and return high 5 digits at best except in very special cases like Yenko's.

A proper paint job can easily run $20K alone - AFTER all the bodywork.
Kinda shooting down your own point...spend 100k resto'ing just another mass produced 1969 car, you'd be lucky to get back $50k.

Put 15 coats of varnish on just another old boat, and you'd be lucky to see cost of mat'ls.