Mocking Ads on Craigslist

psychosailing

Anarchist
Where to start, the absolute wreck that this project is, or the seller's defensive attitude?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4671778922.html

27' X 14.5' Futura pilothouse catamaran project - $15000 (Everett)

01313_4MsGSDCIYvE_600x450.jpg

00x0x_3w8Ketm0iKM_600x450.jpg

00P0P_gSpEaRodkuj_600x450.jpg

00808_fDY1LRQIrLP_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

I am "considering" selling my 27' pilothouse catamaran project. I say "considering", as I have invested a ton of work and materials into this rebuild up to this point and am not willing to just give it all away. If I can sell it now, that is great, and if not, I will "pickle" it and get back to it in a year or so after I have finished rebuilding another boat I just purchased for a business ("Business before pleasure, as they say. . .)

Here is the short story. . .feel free to contact me for the long story and more details if you are seriously interested.

I bought the boat about 2 years ago, as I had been toying with the idea of making a "micro pilothouse sailing catamaran" with inside heat and steering systems. I also was only interested in foam-cored hulls, not wood, and this boat had them. They were made in Canada in 1985 by a company I know little about and is no longer in business. I then purchased 2 Yamaha High Thrust 8 hp motors and rigged them on temporary brackets. I cruised around the sound steering inside with my family on a few trips just to see how she handled (wonderfully, and ran at hull speed with only 1 motor going. . .the fuel economy was quite astounding).

At that point I gutted out a lot of moist plywood/polyester structure, and the waterline went down about 6 inches! Any part I tore out I replaced with NIDACORE and/or foam panels, including the main bridge deck floor (which I also built a slight arc into. . .it now feels like you are standing on concrete inside the boat. I mocked up all areas (head/galley/mechanics/beds/etc.)and started to grind out/sand and refinish the interior walls with cloth and epoxy.

All work was up to this point was done to a high standard with only the best materials. I have only used epoxy resin for any structural bonding and have avoided any type of wood core.

I have most of the remaining panels already made out of Nida-Core. . .they just need to be cut and installed, and of course will be part of any sale.

I also have a lot of gear that could be put into this boat, for example a brand new propane refer and stove, electronics (GPS, autopilot, etc.) Wallas heater, new electric windlass, new electric head, etc. All that can be negotiated, and will NOT just be thrown in, as I have spent quite a bit of cash on them, and will use it all later if and when I continue this project or on my other build. I also have foam and non-blushing epoxy that can be sold as part of the deal..if not, I can and will use it on my other project as well.

I have also had the idea of just turning this cat into a small cruising powerboat. That would simplify the process quite a bit, but I still have all the needed elements to remain a sailboat (mast/boom/rudders/etc.)

The boat is past the halfway point, but still needs a lot of work. If you are looking for a big project that will end as a very unique design when you are done, and are seriously interested in picking up this rebuild and running it through to its completion, then contact me. I will be happy to talk about it and show you the boat. . .in fact, I will insist that you see the boat after a bit of talk, as I think it needs to be seen to fully understand what it is and what it could be. The boat is located in Everett, WA on the hard.

I have a hard title for the boat in hand in my name with no bank liens or issues.

Thanks and be safe on the water...
I'd prefer to die than listen to "the long story"...

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Just another unfinished project where the owner hasn't yet faced the fiscal realities of his situation.

It will sink in one day.

As to that "Get back to it in a year" bit - yeah, right - just like all those people who "took a year off" before college.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
His following project was probably a 65' X 32' catamaran built out of Home Despot ply and 2X4's. That thing is a wreck, he won't get 10% of asking price.

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
There are no words...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/4695228240.html

27 Ft DORY WOODEN BOAT - $800 (Port orchard)
00707_aGl9Y2FzFdQ_600x450.jpg

00k0k_kTSE7mEMZNk_600x450.jpg

00S0S_23sGKyRahyP_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Bethel burley at Pine road
(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: Needs lots of worksize / dimensions: 27 feet

For sale is a 27 ft wooden dory boat. This boat has sat for years and needs a lot of work done to it...as you can see!! The hull is in pretty good condition but the deck will again need work. There is no trailer or motor with this boat.....you will have to have a way to move it...you haul. If you are seriously interested contact me.
$800.00 or best offer
Blackberries are free!! :)

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Lots of people are putting seats on SUP's, which makes me wonder why not just get a kayak.

Yesterday, I saw a car going down the road with an SUP on the roof that had a rowing seat. That made me wonder WTF?

Grey Dawn

Anarchist
Annapolis
Other than exercise, compactness, and maybe trendiness, I don't get SUPs. Kayaks seem far superior as transport. They are stable, fast, low windage, and generally what you want in paddle-propulsion for bays, streams and lakes. Rowboats and sculling shells also make sense to me for their ergonomics and rowboats can be designed for waves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
No, a rowing seat. Facing backwards and everything.

No oar supports were attached, but it must have had them

Why? It's a mystery.
Just being inscrutable

Other than exercise, compactness, and maybe trendiness, I don't get SUPs. Kayaks seem far superior as transport. They are stable, fast, low windage, and generally what you want in paddle-propulsion for bays, streams and lakes. Rowboats and sculling shells also make sense to me for their ergonomics and rowboats can be designed for waves.
Other than a boat for harpooning seals, I don't "get" kayaks. Propulsion by paddle is inherently inefficient, although it beats holding your legs over the transom and kicking with your feet. Rowing is a heck of a lot more efficient.

When that guy finished the Everglades Challenge on a SUP I vowed to never mock them again. Doesn't mean I want to get one of my own though; it's bad enough I'm shopping for kayaks....

FB- Doug

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
Weight, cost, and ease of handling. For just putzing around a couple miles from the launch its easy to grab a SUP and just throw it in the water. Plastic kayaks are surprisingly heavy & awkward.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
it's a better platform for seeing around - whether looking at the wildlife or down into the water
That and the scenery.
Am I the only one to notice that in EVERY segment of the boating market, what you see in boats are guys?

Every one except SUP's, where I see tons of women out doing it.

If I were single, I would own one just to meet chicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Women also paddle white water more than you think. We would have half female paddlers on our tues night paddles some weeks. Also raft guides. They are able to learn to roll easier and more of them have a keen sense of balance.

Latest posts